Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-05-2012, 05:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Costa Del Mar sunglasses

I need to find some good eye protection for trimming. Last year I bought some motorcycle glasses that had a foam insert. They were good but as soon as you get a little scratch on the lens, it becomes hard to see out of them. I need something that is scratch resistant, or something that the tint isn't just a film over the top... something that the lens is tinted all the way through. I've heard of people wearing the Costa Del Mar's. I went to the Bass Pro and tried some on. I liked the Man o war model with 580 glass lens. I am very skeptical about the glass lens but from the reviews I've seen, people have no issue. When they scratch, you can still see out of them. I would imagine the polycarbonate lenses are scratch proof as well. If anyone has used them, please chime in. I need some persuasion towards a good pair of sunglasses or safety glasses.
Old 03-05-2012, 05:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm also looking for some good pants that absorb some of the little rocks that hurt like hell. I wear jeans but was hoping there was something that is light and easy to walk/jog in that have some better protection for your legs.

Also, shoes... I can't wear boots, I walk very fast when I trim so I need a waterproof hiking shoe/sneaker (low cut) that has good traction that doesn't wear too fast???
Old 03-05-2012, 05:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larson Lawn Care View Post
I need to find some good eye protection for trimming. Last year I bought some motorcycle glasses that had a foam insert. They were good but as soon as you get a little scratch on the lens, it becomes hard to see out of them. I need something that is scratch resistant, or something that the tint isn't just a film over the top... something that the lens is tinted all the way through. I've heard of people wearing the Costa Del Mar's. I went to the Bass Pro and tried some on. I liked the Man o war model with 580 glass lens. I am very skeptical about the glass lens but from the reviews I've seen, people have no issue. When they scratch, you can still see out of them. I would imagine the polycarbonate lenses are scratch proof as well. If anyone has used them, please chime in. I need some persuasion towards a good pair of sunglasses or safety glasses.
I have a pair of Costa Wave Killers and love them. However, they are not intended to be used as safety glasses, if though I've used them for such occasionally. If would buy some good quality safety glasses that have UV protection and use those because the Costas are too expensive to be used as safety glasses and the lenses are not completely scratch proof.

As far as pants are concerned, companies like Columbia, North Face, etc. make some nice hiking/fishing pants that are light and made from breathable material that will protect your legs from small rocks and other light objects. For shoes, check out New Balance as they have some hiking shoes that resemble tennis shoes that aren't nearly as heavy as normal boots. Hope this helps.

Truck
Trailer
Walk-Behind Mower
Self-Propelled Mower
String Trimmer
Edger
Hedge Trimmer
Long Reach Hedge Trimmer
Blower
Chain Saw
Gas Can
Tool Box
Misc. Tools
Old 03-05-2012, 06:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

thanks, I'll check them out right now.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I guess I'll have to see the pants in person, I tried to look at them online, but I don't know if they are durable enough.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Gotta look at Oakley. All there lenses are ANSI approved. You can get a basic work style wrap around that will protect your eyes. You can get just about any style and tint color. I wear them everyday for the past 5 yrs and have taken a few good rock hits and they performed as they should.

Pants...I wear carhardt double knee. They have some that are light weight canvas that are nice when it gets nice. They are tough and last. Also Dickies has a double knee work pant that is nice for the price. Around $20 at Wal-Mart. Thay are tough! More you wear them the better they feel.

Boots...I wear ASOLO hiking books. I think they are FSN95. Last longer than anything else I have tried before. I used Danner for years but just wore out way to fast for the price. ASOLO run me about $135. Last just about all season. Check out Sierra Trading Post for all of the above. I also wear smart wool socks from Sierra Trading Post. They are the best sock I have ever worn. I will NEVER wear a cotton sock to work again! I get then in ankle height for wearing shorts or calf high for everyday use! Trust me you will never wear cotton again!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-05-2012, 07:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have Costa Phantom with glass lenses...they are about 3 years old. Although they resist scraping much better than polycarbonate they still get scratched. I need to send mine in for repair before the scratches start affecting my vision.

Mine have taken some pretty good impacts so I know they are tough...I even ran them over with my quad and it crushed them...$9.99 and Costa repaired them.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-05-2012, 08:16 PM
LawnSite Member

I wear Oakleys. They have reallyt good bllistic ratings, and if you are associated with any military, police fire or ems. You can get them for a great price. I wear 5.11 tactical pants and they are great for trimming. Also Merrell makes great hiking shoes, that are vented for warm weather wear!
Old 03-05-2012, 08:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Oakley...overpriced plastic...even more overpriced than Costa. Costas repair policy is one of the best.

I chose Costa not because of name, but because I am tired of crap plastic lenses and I wanted polarized.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-05-2012, 09:29 PM
LawnSite Member

I wear Red Wing safety glasses. Love 'em.