Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-17-2015, 11:04 PM
LawnSite Member

any way I can bypass a trailer? need unsteep ramps. Funny videos

Well, I have no idea how we loaded the 36" bobcat into my truck bed when I bought it a few months ago.
I have these in the link from harbor freight and have loaded a bunch of machines, rear tine tiller, aerator etc.
http://www.harborfreight.com/1000-lb...two-69646.html

we either put the 36" in neutral and both pushed it up the ramps or I had the guy drive it up the ramps to make sure it was possible before I paid and left.

I have been using a 22" push for a long time, this is my first 36". I'm getting ready to put it to work and today I did some test runs loading it into the truck, but couldn't do it. I would have to commit to a full force drive up the ramps, and the controlls of my mower are such that if I want to slow it down by pulling the brake, it has to go into neitral for a short time and that makes it want to roll back down. I'm not about to dump the machine like the morons in the videos below! lol.

The trailer would really be useful for so many things. I might just get a small one from Harbor Fright, 8'x4' or possibly even just the 4'x4' one for the bobcat and put the push and blower trimmer etc in the truck bed. Then I don't have to have my days set to where I can use only the 36" and than make days for only the 22". I could carry both and it's low enough to the ground that I can just use 2-foot 2x8s as mini ramps instead of needing a utility trailer ramp. With the 36" in the truck bed, there's barely any room for anything. And I'd like to get a small row boat with an outboard for the bay that I can drag onto the regular trailer and doesn't even need a boat trailer.

Trailer registration is only $18 for the year. But wiring it might be a pain in the arse, and they'll be pissed if I bring one here, and also the under side of my truck is very rusted, I am sanding it all down and resurfacing it but I'm afraid the bumper will break off - I'm sometimes paranoid about things like that and I probably have nothing to worry about but the thought is there. I just have a hole on the back bumper for a ball hitch.

But anyway, anyone know of really long ramps so I can just load the walk behind safely up into the bed and get to using it now instead of getting the trailer and building it, registering it, wiring it etc?

for $200 total, these 10' ones look good and hold 600 lbs each.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-10-ft-Al...-/121641554573

The ramps I have are 6', so the extra 4' should be good, right?

sketchy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a55g7Sa0iv0
how stupid can you be?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NOFEBXvcuA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0v2YlTp6fS4
Old 05-17-2015, 11:19 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

You can buy 10 or 12 foot ramps. Discountatvramps.com has a system that helps secure them easily. Also check out shark kage. Our have a ramp custom fabricated. For just a normal pick up truck I think 8 or 10 feet would be ok. Park with the truck facing down hill so it's less of an angle. Be careful. If you're machine isn't working normally this won't be safe. Sounds like your truck may not be in good condition to run a safe lawn care set up. Good luck
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-17-2015, 11:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I wouldn't ever load a walk behind mower in to a truck bed.....You can have a receiver hitch put on, I would never tow off a bumper. I also would never use a harbor freight trailer for anything with weight.

With that being said i know some are on budgets, but you can find a used trailer on Craigslist for $500, and I would get at least a 5 wide. Because what happens when you want to upgrade to a 48" or bigger?

True you won't exactly need ramps on that low of a trailer, i borrowed a trailer with small ties, like 9" last year to get my start up, and it beat my walk behind up, things were bouncing on it a lot because of small tires. So i would get one with at least 13" or 15" tires.

Best of luck to you.

Remember, a lot of us all started with crap setups and looking ridiculous, you got to do what you got to do.

My YouTube Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFm...MwXFuPEoNTyvyg

2011 Ferris 48" Comfort Control DD
2001 Toro 36" Belt Drive
5x12 Carry On Trailer
2004 Chevy 2500HD
Echo Trimmers
Stihl BR600
Old 05-17-2015, 11:28 PM
LawnSite Member

oh and another thing is I could sell the the 36" and get a 30" 10HP and pick it up and put it in the bed.

So you're saying don't tow with the bumper ball? It's a 6cyl 4L Ranger auto 2001. I'm on the highway doing 65 often.

the Harbor freight trailers I think are legit. I would sometimes comes near the rated weight with materials etc but just a 36" or even a 48" wouldn't come close to rating.
Old 05-17-2015, 11:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Strap them down when you use them
The problem these days is that the trucks beds are so high off the ground.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-18-2015, 12:15 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I've drove on a long trip to pick up a stander and didn't want to pull the trailer. I had no issues loading/unloading a stander in the bed. Same with a walk behind. Never had a problem with it. Although it's not safe and something you don't want to do on a daily basis without expecting a major accident or getting hurt. One time I even had a HomeDepot rental truck with the flat bed on the back that was very high up. I had to unload a mower from the flatbed, down some ramps, onto a trailer, then onto the ground. Talk about scary driving off a flatbed, over a trailer rail, and on to the deck of the trailer.
Old 05-18-2015, 12:26 AM
LawnSite Member

I don't think you couldn't pay me enough to sit on anything and go up/down two narrow ramps on a truck bed. A walk behind, I won't get hurt but there's a possibility it could fall in front of me and break stuff.

A trailer would be so useful. I'm thinking I'll try those ebay ramps for now, the 10 footers, they should be un-steep enough. And then eventually I'll get the trailer because there's a lot of other stuff I have to do besides just buy it. I should get a proper hitch even though the bumper ball can tow 2,000 I believe but my main concern is like I said, the rust and how strong my truck really is. I might even sell my truck because of the rust that worries me how strong it is. You could barely tell looking at it but underneath all the salt since 2001 has rusted it, like 1/8" flakes of metal peel off.
Old 05-18-2015, 11:17 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

It's possible to load one in regularly. I do so with my 2005 4.0 Ford Ranger and my Exmark Viking hydro 36". I bought some ramps at Lowe's with a 1500 lbs capacity. I don't have the space for a trailer at my townhouse and storage is ridiculous expensive ($250/month for a 10x20 avg).

Sure, it's not pretty or spacious, but it works. It's also temporary. After college, I'll eventually have a trailer setup, but for now, it does the job. Plus, I work in some really tight areas, with little parking. It's actually an advantage. I'll post some pictures of how I do it sometime today.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-22-2015, 11:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kl406s_8104

Found this on youtube for ya.
Toro 20" Gas Push Mower
Toro Gas Straight Shaft Trimmer
Stihl FS 90 R Trimmer
Stihl KM 130R w/ adjustable hedge trimmer, brush cutter, blower, and straight shaft edger attachments
(2) Stihl BR 600 Backpack Blowers
Stihl HSE 60 Hedge Trimmer
Stihl MS 180 C Chainsaw
Toro Corded Electric Blower/Shredder
Misc. Hand tools, gas cans...

My 2014 picture thread: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=423362