Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-20-2012, 09:56 PM
LawnSite Member

Custom made dethatcher

Last spring I purchased a custom made dethatcher for my 36" Lesco. Now I have a 54" Lesco and need another dethatcher...so I decided to buy a welder and make my own.

Last winter...wait we didn't really have a winter in Minnesota. So I'm thinking that this year I would fabricate a bunch of dethatchers and try to sell them on craigslist, etc.

What do you all think?

Advice, good or bad I'll take it. Thanks everyone.
Old 07-21-2012, 03:44 AM
LawnSite Member

Sounds like a pretty good idea an a good way to bring in some extra cash

However if you trually think about it are you gonna make that much moeny and are you able to produce a qauilty product.

You have your steel to buy for them, then wheels/hardware(depending on type), Welder consumeables, tool wear an tear, possibly paint(if you choose). Those are really your only costs.

However what about qauilty, can you produce a well made product. If you cant produce something that is made good I wouldnt do it. Are your welding skills up to par, yeh I can weld a little but I know that my weld beads dont look the best all the time.

I mean you might be able to produce a good looking an great working dethatcher as there relitively easy to make. At the same time maybe you make one and it looks like crap an falls apart quikly. It all depends on how good you are?
Old 07-21-2012, 03:45 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I've considered doing something like this myself, but producing something else for lawn maintenance to sell on Craigslist. At very least, it'd be a hobby to keep me occupied and maybe make a little extra money.

Are you planning on getting patents and all that other stuff done as well?
Old 07-21-2012, 09:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolatoolguy View Post
Sounds like a pretty good idea an a good way to bring in some extra cash

However if you trually think about it are you gonna make that much moeny and are you able to produce a qauilty product.

You have your steel to buy for them, then wheels/hardware(depending on type), Welder consumeables, tool wear an tear, possibly paint(if you choose). Those are really your only costs.

However what about qauilty, can you produce a well made product. If you cant produce something that is made good I wouldnt do it. Are your welding skills up to par, yeh I can weld a little but I know that my weld beads dont look the best all the time.

I mean you might be able to produce a good looking an great working dethatcher as there relitively easy to make. At the same time maybe you make one and it looks like crap an falls apart quikly. It all depends on how good you are?
Quote:
Originally Posted by zechstoker View Post
I've considered doing something like this myself, but producing something else for lawn maintenance to sell on Craigslist. At very least, it'd be a hobby to keep me occupied and maybe make a little extra money.

Are you planning on getting patents and all that other stuff done as well?
Good questions...not too sure if I'll make much money, I guess I don't expect to make a lot of money off of it but who knows.

The main reason for doing it is to fill the void of time when there isn't snow flying. I highly doubt they'll fall apart quickly, welds are pretty strong. As far as laying down a good bead, I understand that takes time and practice. Overall I don't expect the profit margin to be particularly high, but this could be more of a hobby than anything else. Up by me, in the winter, when there isn't snow to be plowed or roofs to be raked there's not a lot to do for work. This is why I plan on fabricating dethatchers.

No, I do not plan on obtaining patents, but building a few and see how things go. If it turns out I can build a presentable/strong dethatcher, we'll see where things go.

Thanks for the thoughts, please keep it coming...
Old 07-21-2012, 10:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansen's Lawn Care View Post
Good questions...not too sure if I'll make much money, I guess I don't expect to make a lot of money off of it but who knows.

The main reason for doing it is to fill the void of time when there isn't snow flying. I highly doubt they'll fall apart quickly, welds are pretty strong. As far as laying down a good bead, I understand that takes time and practice. Overall I don't expect the profit margin to be particularly high, but this could be more of a hobby than anything else. Up by me, in the winter, when there isn't snow to be plowed or roofs to be raked there's not a lot to do for work. This is why I plan on fabricating dethatchers.

No, I do not plan on obtaining patents, but building a few and see how things go. If it turns out I can build a presentable/strong dethatcher, we'll see where things go.

Thanks for the thoughts, please keep it coming...
If its just a hobby it sounds cool to me. A hobby that helps pay for itself is always a plus.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:47 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolatoolguy View Post
If its just a hobby it sounds cool to me. A hobby that helps pay for itself is always a plus.
Yeah that's what I'm thinking...thanks.
Old 07-24-2012, 07:11 PM
LawnSite Member

If you got the time to get creative, go for it!