Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-12-2012, 12:49 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Just this weekend I came out of a store to find someone at my truck writing down my number. I introduced myself and gave him a business card. He wants to install a new lawn this spring!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-12-2012, 06:08 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardguy28 View Post
what's te point in advertising at all, ads logos on vehicles, etc if your schedule is becoming full or your looking to slow down or cut down.
Are you 100% satisfied with your existing customers? Lettering on your truck and trailer will let you advertise in the area you are already working. If you can pick up a couple more lawns on streets you are already working on then you can fire the customers that are further away. This will give you a tighter route and decrease costs and time. If you get one phone call a month you can fire those pos customers as you bring on better paying clients.

But if you are 100% satisifed with your customers and wouldn't like to find a few who may be willing to pay more then I guess you don't need any advertising.
Old 03-12-2012, 06:37 PM
LawnSite Member

I agree with you there GMLC, it allows you to control your influx of work, I got really tied up in 2008 and almost lost my ****...

@ the same time though, that's a great point GreenIndustryAssociates, towards the end of my run in NJ I had weened out some of the accounts one county over and took on way more in a neighborhood where my commercial account was... it was kind of a pain in the ass being there all the time, but it saved on the obvious fuel, and i like to even think lessened the possible liability exposure for my insurance policies, by not having to drive all over the dam place.
Old 03-12-2012, 07:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I saw it posted already but thought I'd back it up, some places require you to have some kind of marking whether it be just simple letter or a logo to designate your vehicle/operation as being a commercial venture. Whether or not you need contact information is dependent on the actual law. I think it has something to do with inspectors/enforcement being able to pick you out easier. Just my thoughts.
Old 03-12-2012, 07:20 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenIndustryAssociates View Post
Are you 100% satisfied with your existing customers? Lettering on your truck and trailer will let you advertise in the area you are already working. If you can pick up a couple more lawns on streets you are already working on then you can fire the customers that are further away. This will give you a tighter route and decrease costs and time. If you get one phone call a month you can fire those pos customers as you bring on better paying clients.

But if you are 100% satisifed with your customers and wouldn't like to find a few who may be willing to pay more then I guess you don't need any advertising.
point taken and since you asked yes I'm satisfied with the clients I have.

the only reason I have ever fired a client is for not paying when I have turned them over to collection. otherwise I have remained with any and all clients that have hired me and not fired me.

more money is not what I'm after.
Old 03-12-2012, 07:27 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
point taken and since you asked yes I'm satisfied with the clients I have.

the only reason I have ever fired a client is for not paying when I have turned them over to collection. otherwise I have remained with any and all clients that have hired me and not fired me.

more money is not what I'm after.
Not bashing here at all becuase we are all in this game for different resaons. Do you want to stay solo or would you like to expand at some point?
Old 03-12-2012, 07:35 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
Not bashing here at all becuase we are all in this game for different resaons. Do you want to stay solo or would you like to expand at some point?
solo forever......

I don't usually take on new clients until I've fired exsiting ones or have holes in my schedule. not the other way around. once the schedule is full, it's full until someone fires me or I fire them.

my plains for advertising are considerably less this season. not even 3 months out of the whoe year.
Old 03-12-2012, 07:40 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
solo forever......

I don't usually take on new clients until I've fired exsiting ones or have holes in my schedule. not the other way around. once the schedule is full, it's full until someone fires me or I fire them.

my plains for advertising are considerably less this season. not even 3 months out of the whoe year.
Thats cool and I respect that. I have a part time helper which will most likely be fulltime this year. Im at the point where I will need a second crew instead of working 6-7 days a week. But I dont complain when I get most of the winter off due to no snow! Where are you located?
Old 03-12-2012, 07:44 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
Thats cool and I respect that. I have a part time helper which will most likely be fulltime this year. Im at the point where I will need a second crew instead of working 6-7 days a week. But I dont complain when I get most of the winter off due to no snow! Where are you located?
Indiana......

we had a very rough winter with very little snow. I do residential snow removal and I think I went plowing 3 times the whole winter......

sounds like your business is booming, as is mine.
Old 03-12-2012, 07:54 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Indiana......

we had a very rough winter with very little snow. I do residential snow removal and I think I went plowing 3 times the whole winter......

sounds like your business is booming, as is mine.
Thats funny because I also plowed 3 times this year due to a very bad winter! Yup I always have a full schedule and its my fault because I have a hard time turning down work. I guess its a good problem to have...