Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-07-2012, 04:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Cut and dry time estimate for grading

This one is pretty simple, I have a customer that wants me to regrade his entire property, about 50 yards worth of dirt.

Will be using a CAT 259 skid loader, how many hours are we looking at to move through that pile and spread it out?? Easy access to the dirt, won't be traveling more than a 100feet from the pile and most of it will done near where the pile will be dropped at.

Never worked with that much dirt at one time, just need some ballpark estimates.

TIA.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

depending on how fine of grade you need. If you want to spread the dirt 2-3 hours. If you are cutting swales and shooting the grade going to take a little time. Then power rake to prepare for seed. I like to give and hourly figure with a not to exceed amount.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLCthes4:11-12 View Post
depending on how fine of grade you need. If you want to spread the dirt 2-3 hours. If you are cutting swales and shooting the grade going to take a little time. Then power rake to prepare for seed. I like to give and hourly figure with a not to exceed amount.
2-3 hours??? Let me explain a little better, I am not talking about just taking a pile and dumping it here and there all over the job to just "spread" it....

It needs to be spread and graded with the bucket nice and smooth over the entire property.

The area is about 10,000 square feet. The area is flat, the house is just sitting in a little low area from a poor grading job when they built the house. .

I am building up about 3 inches around the house, and then sloping it away in all directions down to the original grade along the edges of the property. The house is basically sitting in a hole and the water sits all around the foundation when it rains.
Old 03-08-2012, 06:43 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

you didnt read all my reply. the more detail the longer its going to take. Is the house on a slab, crawl or basement? what i'm getting at dont stack soil above the water proofing or finish floor level. You still should be able to do all that in a day
Old 03-08-2012, 07:14 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Dumping dirt around a house because it was built below street grade is not the way to fix a drainage problem. The house will not get elevated. Waterproofing the foundation higher then origianally must be done first. Water will still try to seep into soil around the house. Soil is pourous.
Old 03-08-2012, 09:36 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I agree, that adding more dirt is probably a bad idea in this case the way it sounds and I wouldn't participate at all... If the h.o. doesn't listen to you about sense/nonsense find an engineer who can give the thumbs up or down... Piling 50 yds of dirt around a low foundation shouldn't take long though...
Old 03-08-2012, 11:37 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

The time it will take is entirely dependent on skill. Being that you have never done this type of job before, plan on being there an entire day.
Old 03-08-2012, 11:44 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Also, is the water draining properly after the rain stops?

Unless the water is standing for days, and then leaking into the basement, grading may fix this. There was no mention of water problems in the basement, just poor runoff and puddling.

Just keep in mind, topsoil will settle some. Depending on how bad the grade is, you might have to regrade the fill under the topsoil. You don't want 1' of topsoil to adjust a grade.
Old 03-08-2012, 01:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

There is one other important thing, this house is on the water and has no basement. The first level is a long garage on a 6 inch concrete pad, with the soil level now sitting slightly below the bottom of the pad on the side facing the water. Living area is on top.

There will be other things done as well, like putting on gutters because he doesn't have any. I am sure that will help LOL. The water just sits around the house for a day or two in large puddles because there is humps and bumps and it is just terrible. Being essentially at sea level exacerbates the problems.

But there is a grade issue around his house, the grade actually slopes from the water BACK towards the house and it needs to be the other way obviously, That is what I am fixing, the sides of the house will be getting minimal grading.

Last edited by bigslick7878; 03-08-2012 at 01:15 PM.