Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-10-2012, 09:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Tackling mud

Went and looked at a job Thursday, rained off and on, the homeowner wanted their lot leveled for a doublewide their getting in summer. I tell them its going to be way to muddy but to call me if it dries out over the weekend. They call today and tell me its as dry as it is going to get and to come level it. I take the skid steer and low and behold water in ruts everywere. I told them its too wet and they insisted I try.

The more I leveled, the more ruts I made. If I filled in one rut, I'd make another. I finaly convince the homeowner that its way to wet and its going to have to dry a week or longer before we even attempt leveling it. His wife calls my skid steer a peice of **** and said I should of brought a excavator.

Seriously, how can you do anything in mud that sinks the skid steer up to the bottom? He then tells me that sun dont hit but one side of the lot and it probaly won't dry.

Anyone have a solution? They have a low spot in the middle of their yard and need fill dirt to fill it in so it'll drain instead of pooling in the yard.

Of course, calling my skid steer a peice of **** means I probaly won't be back.
Old 03-10-2012, 10:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I would take my skid home, and cut my losses. I simply refuse to deal with people like that.If if i wanted to go to work just to be talked down to, i would get a crappy 8-5 with a jerk boss. But to answer your question , maybe if its holding water cut a ditch to make to water drain out, or just wait for it to dry. If it needs dirt added try to get sandy fill, instead of fill with a bunch of clay in it.
Old 03-10-2012, 10:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutbetterthanyou View Post
I would take my skid home, and cut my losses. I simply refuse to deal with people like that.If if i wanted to go to work just to be talked down to, i would get a crappy 8-5 with a jerk boss. But to answer your question , maybe if its holding water cut a ditch to make to water drain out, or just wait for it to dry. If it needs dirt added try to get sandy fill, instead of fill with a bunch of clay in it.
I quoted them $400 to do it and got $200 to fiddle with it because they did say it was dry and it was a hour drive over there. The skid steer is home, I don't know if I'll deal with them again or not. Not my fault it was a mudhole and they told me it was dry.
Old 03-10-2012, 10:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

A old timer always told me "you can't make mud look like a baseball field" if you want to do it I would get a mini or a fullsize excavator and strap an I beam to the bucket start in the back and work your way out. Or the way it sounds to me as they say in the holy grail RUN AWAY! RUN AWAY!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-10-2012, 10:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tailboardtech View Post
A old timer always told me "you can't make mud look like a baseball field" if you want to do it I would get a mini or a fullsize excavator and strap an I beam to the bucket start in the back and work your way out. Or the way it sounds to me as they say in the holy grail RUN AWAY! RUN AWAY!!
Posted via Mobile Device

Lol, I thought about doing the ibeam method, but its like digging a pond out after just draining it. Damn mess..
Old 03-11-2012, 12:59 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
"you can't make mud look like a baseball field"
but you can damn sure smear it around! haha. tell them to call you when the truck gets stuck bringing the trailer in

"Life is like running a motor grader. You have to look down the road and plan for whats ahead and not down at your feet!"

http://www.youtube.com/user/letsdig18

New facebook fan page
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Letsdi...3541611?v=wall

Old 03-11-2012, 09:46 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtman2007 View Post
but you can damn sure smear it around! haha. tell them to call you when the truck gets stuck bringing the trailer in
Funny thing is.... their not getting the doublewide until summer.
Old 03-11-2012, 10:07 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I would of used the excavator ...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-11-2012, 10:35 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_S_S View Post
I would of used the excavator ...
Posted via Mobile Device
It would of just made ruts also, or not been able to level and slope it properly because its nothing but mud.
Old 03-11-2012, 12:50 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Posted via Mobile Device
I got another one. "You cant turn chicken sh$t into chicken salad".

Proudly running CASE and Takeuchi equipment.