Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-07-2012, 10:29 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

.net??

i'm getting back into the business. i let my old .com adress go long ago.. it was a great .com somebody bought it out from under me. (its parked tho.. has been for like 5 years) anyways, my mistake. well, i'd like to use the same name again. the .NET version is available, but wondering if having the .NET would make it difficult to get visitors? for some reason i feel like most people wouldn't be thinking of the .NET part of the web adress if they saw it at a glance or just heard it from somewheres.. i can't think of a decent .com to use, i don't want to make it to long of a name just to get a .COM.. anyways, anyone else using a .net?
Old 03-07-2012, 11:36 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Greenstarlawns.net I wanted .com but someone beat me to it and they aren't even using it and won't sell.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-08-2012, 06:33 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

You laid out the reasons not to use anything other than a .com, inzane. It's reflexive for people to assume .com and a large chunk of your potential customers will likely land at your former, now parked, page. When it comes to naming your company, regardless of the industry, I strongly feel that people need to start with the domain name and work from there.

If your potential name is short enough, what about appending it with your city/state name?
Old 03-08-2012, 10:56 AM
LawnSite Member

Have you tried putting in an offer for your old site or asking for the list price? I inquire on sites all the time. Usually they have a price in mind and if it is a large company they will probably continue to correspond back and forth with you, lowering the price each time.
.net is not ideal, I like the suggestion to add a city qualifier on a .com; however when someone google searches for your name "Joe's Lawn Care", you should pop up no matter if it is .net or .com
For me, the issue is how many people see your company somewhere and go home and try to enter your entire web address in the browser as opposed to searching for your company's name to get to your website. I usually search for a company's name if I saw them on the side of the road, but who knows what normal is. I don't know the statistics on that...
Old 03-08-2012, 11:04 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Are you incorporated? You can add inc or llc and sometimes find that name available.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-08-2012, 04:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

We are getting to the area where there is getting more and more variations are getting used, but as mentioned, the .com is better to have for the word of mouth and people seeing it quickly advertised somewhere.

Out of the 15 domains I have, only 2 are .net. One is a domain that every variation has been taken for at least 15 years, and I got lucky and caught that it expired from the company that had the .com. The other .net I have is for my company name, but I also have the .com and .org versions as well. When I go public advertising this spring, it will be the .com being used.
Old 03-08-2012, 05:41 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg8872 View Post
Out of the 15 domains I have, only 2 are .net.
This got me thinking, so I checked as well. I know I own, or manage, zero ".net as the primary" domains. Looks like I have 36 as secondaries, only having them to keep them out of others' hands. I don't always register both. I tend to pick and choose for my own, and recommend it for clients when deemed appropriate.
Old 03-09-2012, 10:25 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

My feelings on it are that getting a .com is the best choice but I don't see a .net as being a bad choice. There are a ton of other suffixes that have not caught on yet and may never catch on. At this time I see .com and .net as the two acceptable choices.

I will make another suggestion that is not ideal but might be a good alternative. How about your old URL with a dash (-) iin it. Not all that long ago I was able to snag lawn-seeding.com which surprised me but since that is what I wanted to promote it was a great choice for me. I have snagged a very few of the oddball endings such as I have lawns.co I am not sure I will ever use it or be able to sell it if I don't want to use it but you never know what the future will hold.
Old 03-09-2012, 02:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

thanks for all the advice guys. i ended up with sharplawnsgeorgia.com for now. it was between that or sharplawns.net 17 letters, i got .com and to me it doesn't seem to terribly long, and still could be easy to remember.
Old 03-09-2012, 04:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

That seems like a good choice to me and it should do well in a google search with both lawns and georgia in the name. I think you made a good choice.