Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-16-2012, 10:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Amazing work my friend, truely professional quality. If you don't mind me asking because I've never had an opportunity to do a wall this size. Why are the drainage pipes coming outside of the wall instead of being run underneath and away from the wall. Every class I have taken has told me that pipes coming out towards the base will eventually erode away the ground and cause the wall to wash out. But as you know experience trumps text books

Ive taken advantage of the world market and started a new business. We are building bombs in the shape of prayer blankets for our middle eastern customers. Business couldnt be better. The prophets are going through the roof!!
Old 03-16-2012, 11:12 PM
LawnSite Member

Looks to be that the grid is in upside down!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-16-2012, 11:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexschultz1 View Post
Amazing work my friend, truely professional quality. If you don't mind me asking because I've never had an opportunity to do a wall this size. Why are the drainage pipes coming outside of the wall instead of being run underneath and away from the wall. Every class I have taken has told me that pipes coming out towards the base will eventually erode away the ground and cause the wall to wash out. But as you know experience trumps text books
I have never read anything about that in a book. I was told to do it exactly as DVS has done it. And the same way we do all of our projects. There is never a "flow" of water....its not like a downspout at the base of a wall. you will get more erosion in a heavy spring rain them you will ever find below one of those pipes.
Old 03-16-2012, 11:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexschultz1 View Post
The white PVC are downspout pipes, connected to the dwelling's downspouts. There is no where else to run them due to the septic system and the location of a property line. The black flex tubing are the wall's drainage system. I doubt water will ever come out of them.

It would be impractable to run pipes under the wall, as there are 2 rows of base courses of block burried below grade plus 6-inches of aggregate base, totaling to a depth of 22-inches.

The engineer's specs say for the pipe to be 6-inches above grade.

Also, take note, the PVC pipe extends 3-feet past the wall. When the job is finished we'll trim the pipe down. There is no way any water will undermine the base of the wall, as the pipe extends sufficiently past the footing, as well as utilizing a splash guard, or a small dry stream bed, etc.

And with all that said, I decided today that one PVC pipe will most likely be abandoned! I'm now thinking of running it at an entirely different angle. Long story short - the reason for abandoning the pipe pertains to accessing the area with the loader during construction. This will allow us to get the machine in there from a whole different angle. I always say no to jobs are ever the same.

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.

Last edited by DVS Hardscaper; 03-16-2012 at 11:27 PM.
Old 03-16-2012, 11:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundOneMN View Post
Looks to be that the grid is in upside down!
Posted via Mobile Device
haha thats funny! I actually paused for a moment and thought about it!

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
Old 03-16-2012, 11:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

And something else!

For 2 yrs now, I have listen to Paver Pete tell people to backfill their walls entirely with 3/4" (#57) aggregate. His mindet is that you dont have to compact, and he thinks the filter cloth will clog and be ineffective.

Well, I'm guessing we excavated around 70 cubic yards of soil for the grid zone.

If we utilized Paver Pete's personal method - I'd have TO PAY to load and haul the soil away and I'd have to pay for the additional aggregate! His personal method WOULD BE more costly!

Not the most realistic thinking.

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-1 belt
Old 03-16-2012, 11:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS Hardscaper View Post
haha thats funny! I actually paused for a moment and thought about it!

Made u look! Looks good so far.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-19-2012, 11:59 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
And something else!

For 2 yrs now, I have listen to Paver Pete tell people to backfill their walls entirely with 3/4" (#57) aggregate. His mindet is that you dont have to compact, and he thinks the filter cloth will clog and be ineffective.

Well, I'm guessing we excavated around 70 cubic yards of soil for the grid zone.

If we utilized Paver Pete's personal method - I'd have TO PAY to load and haul the soil away and I'd have to pay for the additional aggregate! His personal method WOULD BE more costly!

Not the most realistic thinking.
Thats not paver petes method that follows the NCMA guidelines
Old 03-19-2012, 12:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2low4NH View Post
Thats not paver petes method that follows the NCMA guidelines

Wrong. He's been harping that he "thinks" backfilling a wall entirely with #57 aggregate will cut costs down.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-19-2012, 12:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Wrong. He's been harping that he "thinks" backfilling a wall entirely with #57 aggregate will cut costs down.
Posted via Mobile Device
It's just not practical unless you have a paver manufacturer backing the job.