Register free!
Search
 
     

Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #41  
Old 03-16-2012, 10:04 PM
alexschultz1's Avatar
alexschultz1 alexschultz1 is online now
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: north of atlanta
Posts: 1,253
Amazing work my friend, truely professional quality. If you don't mind me asking because I've never had an opportunity to do a wall this size. Why are the drainage pipes coming outside of the wall instead of being run underneath and away from the wall. Every class I have taken has told me that pipes coming out towards the base will eventually erode away the ground and cause the wall to wash out. But as you know experience trumps text books
__________________

Ive taken advantage of the world market and started a new business. We are building bombs in the shape of prayer blankets for our middle eastern customers. Business couldnt be better. The prophets are going through the roof!!
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 03-16-2012, 11:12 PM
GroundOneMN's Avatar
GroundOneMN GroundOneMN is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 81
Looks to be that the grid is in upside down!
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 03-16-2012, 11:19 PM
Gilmore.Landscaping's Avatar
Gilmore.Landscaping Gilmore.Landscaping is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Ontario
Posts: 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexschultz1 View Post
Amazing work my friend, truely professional quality. If you don't mind me asking because I've never had an opportunity to do a wall this size. Why are the drainage pipes coming outside of the wall instead of being run underneath and away from the wall. Every class I have taken has told me that pipes coming out towards the base will eventually erode away the ground and cause the wall to wash out. But as you know experience trumps text books
I have never read anything about that in a book. I was told to do it exactly as DVS has done it. And the same way we do all of our projects. There is never a "flow" of water....its not like a downspout at the base of a wall. you will get more erosion in a heavy spring rain them you will ever find below one of those pipes.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 03-16-2012, 11:20 PM
DVS Hardscaper's Avatar
DVS Hardscaper DVS Hardscaper is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: County Jail
Posts: 5,698
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexschultz1 View Post
Amazing work my friend, truely professional quality. If you don't mind me asking because I've never had an opportunity to do a wall this size. Why are the drainage pipes coming outside of the wall instead of being run underneath and away from the wall. Every class I have taken has told me that pipes coming out towards the base will eventually erode away the ground and cause the wall to wash out. But as you know experience trumps text books
The white PVC are downspout pipes, connected to the dwelling's downspouts. There is no where else to run them due to the septic system and the location of a property line. The black flex tubing are the wall's drainage system. I doubt water will ever come out of them.

It would be impractable to run pipes under the wall, as there are 2 rows of base courses of block burried below grade plus 6-inches of aggregate base, totaling to a depth of 22-inches.

The engineer's specs say for the pipe to be 6-inches above grade.

Also, take note, the PVC pipe extends 3-feet past the wall. When the job is finished we'll trim the pipe down. There is no way any water will undermine the base of the wall, as the pipe extends sufficiently past the footing, as well as utilizing a splash guard, or a small dry stream bed, etc.

And with all that said, I decided today that one PVC pipe will most likely be abandoned! I'm now thinking of running it at an entirely different angle. Long story short - the reason for abandoning the pipe pertains to accessing the area with the loader during construction. This will allow us to get the machine in there from a whole different angle. I always say no to jobs are ever the same.
__________________
"It's You vs. You"

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"


My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.

Last edited by DVS Hardscaper; 03-16-2012 at 11:27 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 03-16-2012, 11:24 PM
DVS Hardscaper's Avatar
DVS Hardscaper DVS Hardscaper is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: County Jail
Posts: 5,698
Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundOneMN View Post
Looks to be that the grid is in upside down!
Posted via Mobile Device
haha thats funny! I actually paused for a moment and thought about it!


.
__________________
"It's You vs. You"

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"


My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 03-16-2012, 11:46 PM
DVS Hardscaper's Avatar
DVS Hardscaper DVS Hardscaper is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: County Jail
Posts: 5,698
And something else!

For 2 yrs now, I have listen to Paver Pete tell people to backfill their walls entirely with 3/4" (#57) aggregate. His mindet is that you dont have to compact, and he thinks the filter cloth will clog and be ineffective.

Well, I'm guessing we excavated around 70 cubic yards of soil for the grid zone.

If we utilized Paver Pete's personal method - I'd have TO PAY to load and haul the soil away and I'd have to pay for the additional aggregate! His personal method WOULD BE more costly!

Not the most realistic thinking.
__________________
"It's You vs. You"

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"


My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 03-16-2012, 11:53 PM
GroundOneMN's Avatar
GroundOneMN GroundOneMN is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS Hardscaper View Post
haha thats funny! I actually paused for a moment and thought about it!


.
Made u look! Looks good so far.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 03-19-2012, 11:59 AM
2low4NH's Avatar
2low4NH 2low4NH is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: NH
Posts: 1,898
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS Hardscaper View Post
And something else!

For 2 yrs now, I have listen to Paver Pete tell people to backfill their walls entirely with 3/4" (#57) aggregate. His mindet is that you dont have to compact, and he thinks the filter cloth will clog and be ineffective.

Well, I'm guessing we excavated around 70 cubic yards of soil for the grid zone.

If we utilized Paver Pete's personal method - I'd have TO PAY to load and haul the soil away and I'd have to pay for the additional aggregate! His personal method WOULD BE more costly!

Not the most realistic thinking.
Thats not paver petes method that follows the NCMA guidelines
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 03-19-2012, 12:03 PM
DVS Hardscaper's Avatar
DVS Hardscaper DVS Hardscaper is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: County Jail
Posts: 5,698
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2low4NH View Post
Thats not paver petes method that follows the NCMA guidelines

Wrong. He's been harping that he "thinks" backfilling a wall entirely with #57 aggregate will cut costs down.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 03-19-2012, 12:18 PM
crazymike crazymike is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Ontario
Posts: 454
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS Hardscaper View Post
Wrong. He's been harping that he "thinks" backfilling a wall entirely with #57 aggregate will cut costs down.
Posted via Mobile Device
It's just not practical unless you have a paver manufacturer backing the job.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump






Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:19 AM.

Page generated in 0.08910 seconds with 8 queries