Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-08-2012, 08:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have been pondering the same situation and I think I have decided to go with mailing invoices. It is too much of a hassle to recieve payment as the work is completed and try to find the people to get paid. The only thing that I worry about is the people actually paying you when they get the bill. Most of my customers are good at paying but it is possible that the bill could get lost, etc.
Old 03-08-2012, 08:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

That's the problem I have too. I think I stand a better chance of making this work if I have one opportunity for face time a month by delivering as I'm mowing. Then, my customers will be accustomed to paying monthly when I start billing by mail next year. Unlike last year, I plan on being there during all mowing. However, if I really need to, as long as it's not the first week of the month I'll be able to take care of business as needed.
Old 03-08-2012, 09:16 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger View Post
Why are you doing Excel? This means you have to enter your information into your financial management software later. It sounds like double work. As others suggested, why not make your invoice in your financial management software? Payments against the invoices flow into a deposit slip. You know who has paid, who hasn't paid. If you have the information in Excel, now you have to track payment separately, but still have to enter the info into your financial management software.

Or, do you have some link between Excel and financial management?

I am always confused why somebody wishes to use a procedure OUTSIDE the financial management software. This double approach seems like extra work, and leave too much risk for error.
I only use excel and then print off 2 copies of the invoice 1 for the customer and 1 for me. I then mark paid with the date that's it simple and easy. Like I said before I am wanting to get software that handles all of this for me. Right now I don't use excel for anything but invoicing, everything else is in a manual ledger. I'm really wanting a better system but this still beats having to track down customers to get a $50 check.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-09-2012, 08:39 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

greenstar, thanks for your response. I understand your position, and your intention to remain with your procedure.

However, I would urge you to migrate to a financial management software. There are several that are mentioned here on LS. I use QuickBooks, and I think many other use QuickBooks too. If you are going to keep a handle on the financial health of your business, keeping track of income, expenses, reconciling bank account, credit card management, invoicing, payment records, etc. you have an easy way to do it with QB. Yes, it takes some time to set up and learn, but the benefits are significant. I don't know what you are giving to your CPA for tax purposes, but the reports from QB makes their job easy, hence, less costly to prepare your tax returns. The savings in CPA fees may pay for QB a couple of times over.

Obviously, just a suggestion, but I am sure I am not alone in strongly suggesting moving your sights to a higher bar in managing your business. We buy hedge clippers, mower blades, belts, and often, much higher priced items, for the purpose of running our business. A good financial management tool is just another important expenditure for being successful.

There are plenty of threads in this section on question and procedures for setting up and using QB. You are not alone. And, I'm sure that many of us would be happy to help as questions arise.
Old 03-09-2012, 07:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

For invoicing, with light bookkeeping capabilities, Freshbooks.com is fantastic.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-09-2012, 10:17 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I started with the excel thing but it was too cumbursome, I went to QB online best move I've made yet, a few clicks and all my monthly invoicing is done just a matter of mins, also helps keep track of everything, at a glance I can see exactly where I stand financially.