Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-08-2012, 10:03 AM
LawnSite Member

ROPS Bar

How many people around here fold their Rops bar down so it is not doing what is intended? I have heard so many excuses as to why people keep them folded down or take them off completely. How do you think that conversation with an employee's family at their funeral when he flips that mower on top of themselves? What do you think your insurance and worker's comp policies are going to be like after that? If there is one thing that could change this year is for this industry to become safer. Wouldn't we be taken more as professionals if we follow the letter and the law of all safety rules. This one seems fairly easy to fix. Use the ROPS bar. If it is below your head, it does NO GOOD. Who agrees with me??
Old 03-08-2012, 10:17 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Have you ever tried to mow around a tree with one up?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-08-2012, 11:24 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

yea, i took mine off completely. all of my lawns are flat so i don't invision myself rolling over. want to know more unsafe things i do?
* sometimes i forget to wear my seat belt
* i eat steak often
* i speed on my motorcycle
* i drink sodas often
* sometimes, when i'm feeling lazy, i don't tie my shoe strings

want more?
Old 03-08-2012, 12:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Boy View Post
How many people around here fold their Rops bar down so it is not doing what is intended? I have heard so many excuses as to why people keep them folded down or take them off completely. How do you think that conversation with an employee's family at their funeral when he flips that mower on top of themselves? What do you think your insurance and worker's comp policies are going to be like after that? If there is one thing that could change this year is for this industry to become safer. Wouldn't we be taken more as professionals if we follow the letter and the law of all safety rules. This one seems fairly easy to fix. Use the ROPS bar. If it is below your head, it does NO GOOD. Who agrees with me??

Sunshine Groundscare, which is now the Grounds Guys, had a machine with a modified rollbar. The machine rolled somehow and injured an employees foot. Before the case was investigated they reinstalled the rollbar.

Not only were they fined for operating machinery without property safety equipment, they were fined an additional $40,000 for obstructing an investigation. As well as whatever money they lost from lawsuit by the employee.

Although extreme, removing a rollbar is not a good idea. Fold it down, if you still can't get in there use a WB
Old 03-08-2012, 01:48 PM
LawnSite Member

Stephen, I can relate on the shoestrings since i havent tied mine in years. i stuff the strings down in there and let um ride. Now as far as the sodas go what are you trying to do kill yourself? Slow it down bud you are gonna kill yourself! Haha
Old 03-08-2012, 02:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Golden Boy, after 31 years of mowing rops up and seat belt on.
Old 03-08-2012, 04:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I won't tell anyone else how to use theirs, since I have no right to in the first place, and I am not there to see the conditions they cut under in the second place.

I have mine folded 99% of the time, since almost everything I mow is flat enough that a chance of a roll over is just about zero. If I have to mow on a bank or hillside, it goes up and the seat belt goes on.

Going by the OP's example of how a machine could flip, that's true enough under certain circumstances, but by the same token, that same employee could be injured, or killed just as easily if the machine he is riding has a ROPS up and snags a branch and flips him over backwards, or sidways into something.

The only person who can make the determination for up or down is the owner and/or operator of the machine IMO.
Old 03-08-2012, 04:37 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

If ROPS where designed better then they wouldnt need to come off. Take the Scag Cheetah, great, fold right out of the way. Then look at the Super Z, even folded the lower part sticks out over the fuel tanks and hinge is way to high. Up or down it will snag on a tree. If it doesnt flip over backwards, itll break the branch it it'll come down on ya head. Safer to have them off altogether.

I have to take it off my SZ, I dont have a choice. EVERY property I do has trees.

Youtube Channel... http://tinyurl.com/l9a3843
Old 03-08-2012, 04:58 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

That was the first thing I removed when I brought my mower home. It's useless for me. I don't cut any hills.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-08-2012, 05:17 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNGrassCutter View Post
Have you ever tried to mow around a tree with one up?
Posted via Mobile Device
actually yes......

up until last year I had only demo'd sit down ztrs. last season my grandstand was in the shop and the only loaner they had for me was a sit down. I raised the ROPS every time I pulled out of the trailer.

by the end of the week I had a few property's the ROPS got caught on a tree limb. one property the front end rose and the rear took a chunk of turf out.