Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-10-2012, 11:12 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Revising my figures to 5mph.
5 times 88 feet per minute is 440 feet. Times 7 feet wide equals 3080 sqft per minute. At .25 gal per thousand sqft that would be .77 gal per minute. (98.6 ounces) for solution output at the nozzle. Use a measuring jug and confirm this.

If you spray at center to center 7 feet wide, and the machine is 3 feet wide, your wheel to wheel tracks are only 4 feet apart. And naturally you need to spray only 2 feet beyond the machine on each side, (and a bit more to provide overlap.) Can you show us a photo of the spray pattern of water on concrete? What width does your tape measure show?

Your fertilizer would be thrown too far, too much overlap, it seems to me.

Click my name and refer to the pattern on concrete from my Permagreen Ultra in my photographs. Ultra was sold 2 years ago.

Photo set "PG Ultra and sprayer." The magnetic signs "Just say no to crabgrass" are still for sale.

Last edited by RigglePLC; 03-10-2012 at 11:16 AM. Reason: add
Old 03-10-2012, 08:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

One of the great unknowns is the pressure output of the pump--there is no pressure gauge. Remember the Permagreen is set up with a constant pressure valve that limits it to 10 psi. Rather low. But what if the pump only puts out 7 psi?

I suggest install a pressure gauge. And maybe a pressure regulator so you can dial up if you want to.
Old 03-10-2012, 08:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Sweet thanks will do I'll be back at it mon. I'll look at adding those features sounds like you have or have at least put some thought into it isn't space an issue ? Well I suppose it could be mounted anywhere hmm ...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-10-2012, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Member

In 20 seconds 143 ft linear feet x 7 wide (" effective widths pray path")= 32 oz high flow p/1000 sq , not 88 linear ft if that makes a difference to you I'll definitely get a measurement and post pics. Looks like there are some variations between the manual and the field when it comes to the mag I noticed on apost I saw today I hope that is not the case here sounds like a lot of
Variables to a constant! well thanks again I feel better already.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-11-2012, 01:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I didn't explain myself. 1 mph equals 5280 divided by 60 equals 88 feet per minute.
5 mph times 88 equals 440 linear feet per minute. At 7 feet wide that is 3080 sqft per minute. Which is the sqft covered per minute. Your liquid output must be .25 times 3.080, or .77 gallon per minute, (98.56 ounces per minute).

Does anybody else care to comment on spray width? What is the width you use in practice? Do you use an 11 foot pattern when spreading and a 7 foot width when spraying? Then what do you do when spreading and spraying at the same time?

Of course, in tall grass or uphill the 5 mph speed will not be exact. Speed on grass should be slightly slower than on pavement.
Old 03-11-2012, 03:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
I didn't explain myself. 1 mph equals 5280 divided by 60 equals 88 feet per minute.
5 mph times 88 equals 440 linear feet per minute. At 7 feet wide that is 3080 sqft per minute. Which is the sqft covered per minute. Your liquid output must be .25 times 3.080, or .77 gallon per minute, (98.56 ounces per minute).

Does anybody else care to comment on spray width? What is the width you use in practice? Do you use an 11 foot pattern when spreading and a 7 foot width when spraying? Then what do you do when spreading and spraying at the same time?

Of course, in tall grass or uphill the 5 mph speed will not be exact. Speed on grass should be slightly slower than on pavement.
The PG manual talks about spread and spray pattern...spread is wider but it's thinner too.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-11-2012, 09:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I never used a swath width so narrow as 7 feet center to center. You cannot turn the machine around in a 7 foot circle as you get to the end of the swath. I have watched a few other companies, sometimes measuring the swath after they left. The average is more than 7 feet for sure.
I think Permagreen is measuring to the next wheel track.

PG guys, how wide is the spray pattern? Wetted on concrete?
Old 03-11-2012, 09:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Spray width is 13 feet...spread is 14 if I recall...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-12-2012, 11:17 AM
LawnSite Member

I got a solid 10ft on spray in concrete and some dribbles beyond that to get my 11 ft confirmed this morning had to make sure my rpms were at 3450 from the factory they were 2950 so I'll post pics later today
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-13-2012, 06:27 AM
LawnSite Member

pics

after some fine tuning of nozzle body i finally got a decent spread width somewhere between 10-11 ft a drenching at 8-10 and dribbles at 10-11 but man we do a lot of road frontages that you either have to backpack or pull a lot of hose parking the truck on the roads isn't an option so the ride on has been great not very comfortable/ convinced on the coverage/ surface area from the droplets size of the wide pattern but the trim is awesome on devil strips we are done with round 1 so I've yet to put any material in the hopper sounds like there is an issue w/ the 3 hole and the flattened hopper bottom either way the only thing that was sore yesterday was my arms from turning does anyone one have any ideas or mods they have done for transporting I'm currently using a 16 ft tandem trailer behind a f-250 bulky and overkill i know but we typically use a beavertail/dovetail for maintenance so we only have a that trailer and asked steer trailer pics ideas would be great where are your tie down points thanks for everyones input issues uploading pics will add tonight file must be to large