Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-31-2013, 05:48 PM
LawnSite Member

Aeration question

Hello all,

Several of my neighbors and myself are getting together to rent a 72" Land Pride power seeder this fall to overseed our lawns. We each have about 3 acres. My question is, should I aerate a week or a few days prior? Will this gain me anything, or would I be wasting my time.

By the way my lawn is all tall fescue in southern Indiana. It is pretty well established, but there are areas that need a little work, hence the power seeder. Also, some of the yards have a lot of builders clay and curious if aerating will help breakup the soil prior to power seeding.

Thanks for the help!

Eric
Old 07-31-2013, 10:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Is your yard compacted? If so then you need to aerate, and early fall, before you seed, is the best time to do this. But you are doing this to relieve compaction, not make a seedbed. An aerator doesn't really break up the ground but if you have compaction it will help with the overall health of your soil. The 72" landpride is a slit seeder, plant the seed 3/16" deep at 6-8 Lbs. per 1000 sq. ft. and keep the soil moist for a month and you should have new grass. Good luck.

Last edited by agrostis; 07-31-2013 at 10:40 PM.
Old 08-01-2013, 07:08 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the info. My yard is not compacted. I aerate and overseed every year. One of the neighbors is compacted, so I think we will run the aerator over it several times and then overseed.
Old 08-17-2013, 03:47 PM
LawnSite Member

Eric,

What do you use to aerate 3 acres? We are buying a house with 3 acres this week and I am trying to figure out how I am going to maintain the yard.