Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-10-2012, 10:07 AM
LawnSite Member

May have landed big job, Good or Bad oppurtunity?

So I received a call from a realtor yesterday that heard about my business through a friend of mine. She said there has been an opening in my area to maintain all foreclosed homes in her district. There is 100 yards in the district, and my job would be to just mow and go. Not really concerned about quality, but just concerned about getting the job done. She told me I would just have to take a before and after picture to prove the work is complete. They would pay me $4200 a month to cut each yard twice in the month. She also said if thought that would be too much work I could cut the workload in half and do 50 yards for $2100 a month. This deal sound good to me because I am recently new to the industry and this deal might really jump start my business ( Get me new clients ect) I am pretty sure I could handle 50 more yards because it is just a mow and go. What do you guys think about all this? Would you take the job? Is it too much?

Gravely 44z ztr
Yazoo 22 inch push mower
Stihl BR 600 Backpack Blower
Stihl FS 90R Trimmer
Stihl FC 90 Edger
Echo PB200 hand-held Blower
Echo HC150 hedge trimmer

"The mind is the limit. As long as the mind can envision the fact that you can do something, you can do it, as long as you really believe 100 percent."

"The only place where 'success' comes before 'work' is in the dictionary"
Old 03-10-2012, 10:19 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

As long as you've got a good mower, you can easily do all 100.

The biggest problem with that arrangement though is that it's 2 times a month. Doesn't leave much room to take on other weekly clients, but.....

In the off weeks from these accounts, you can fit in other landscaping work for your current clients if you so wish.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 03-10-2012, 10:27 AM
LawnSite Member

Thats the problem. I wouldn't have that much time to take on any other work. Thats why im thinking about just sticking with half the yards so I would have time for my other clients. If I did all 100 yards every two weeks that would be about 10 yards a day. Im not sure how many yards I could handle in a day.

Gravely 44z ztr
Yazoo 22 inch push mower
Stihl BR 600 Backpack Blower
Stihl FS 90R Trimmer
Stihl FC 90 Edger
Echo PB200 hand-held Blower
Echo HC150 hedge trimmer

"The mind is the limit. As long as the mind can envision the fact that you can do something, you can do it, as long as you really believe 100 percent."

"The only place where 'success' comes before 'work' is in the dictionary"
Old 03-10-2012, 10:28 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

thats not bad man, Thats just over 40 bucks a yard for mow blow and go. i would jump all over that. This could very easily jump start your business and get you going on the right track. Heck if its too much hire a part time guy for 10 bucks an hour to help lighten the load so you can bang them out faster.
2010 Equipment/Stripe thread Here
2009 Equipment/Stripe thread Here
Hurricane blower video Here
Old 03-10-2012, 10:49 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnBoy627 View Post
Thats the problem. I wouldn't have that much time to take on any other work. Thats why im thinking about just sticking with half the yards so I would have time for my other clients. If I did all 100 yards every two weeks that would be about 10 yards a day. Im not sure how many yards I could handle in a day.
Hire someone and take them all. That's some alright steady income, and on top of it they are bi-weekly.

Show this agent you mean business too, so taking them will show them that.

Also, hopefully the housing market is going to turn around shortly also. So maybe some of these houses will start falling off your list as time goes by and you can get other accounts to fill in as you go. We recently had the most house sold in one month since the housing market crashed. At least in our area, the tide might be turning.

I'm not about taking on Foreclosure properties, but I also know that money is money. I'm not that stupid.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 03-10-2012, 10:51 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Realtors suck. They want something for nothing and they will always say we will have ..da da da and in my experience 99% of it never happens. There are a few exceptions but few there is. I will do work for 2 realtors and that is after 28 years. Pretty soon they think you owe them because they gave you a 35 dollar job you probably lost money on. They will call 15 minutes before a showing and want something done before that.

I might add there is a reason they are contacting the new guy in the area.

Last edited by clydebusa; 03-10-2012 at 10:58 AM.
Old 03-10-2012, 11:06 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

$21/yard is the figure I read 100 yards times 2 equals 200 cuts per month. Divided by $4200 is $21/yard. Need to figure out if this is profitable to you.

I would look at how tight of a route it is (most likely not to tight). Also you need to make a procedure to get all the pics, upload them, and email them off (which could take some time). Do they charge more for first time mows? (aka 2 ft tall grass).

For the schedule side of things. There is 4 weeks in a month for the most part. Break them down in groups of 50. Do the first 50, the first and third week (mon-wed or less days). Do the second 50 the second and forth week (mon-wed or less). This schedule would give you time to fill Thur and Friday with regular customers that you need to build your biz.

I don't know your market but the $21/visit is cheap around hear. I mow for a realitor and get $35 or more per visit. First cut is by a $75/hr rate. I get paid within 10 days of when I email the invoice. No pictures needed.

I would counter the offer and see if they budge. They most likely know its way cheap and is the reason they are looking for someone.
Old 03-10-2012, 11:08 AM
LawnSite Member

You could take all 100 and do 50 one week and 50 the next and so on, since they only need 2 cuts per week.
We used to do forclosed homes but in my area they started paying less and less each year so we got out of it.
Good luck!
Old 03-10-2012, 11:11 AM
LawnSite Member

Check about pay schedule!!!! Some are less than a week after submiting bills and some are 90 days. Use unmarked trucks. Dont want mow n blow to be the word around town. Use the money to grow your business.
Old 03-11-2012, 11:12 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

might be a good start. you could also sub out a few to help you out. Are the properties close enough to get 2 an hour? Also their is an opportunity cost. If you dont have any other business then its good. But if you are having to give up or postpone work that you can bill for $50 + an hour then it will be costing you money to do the foreclosed work.