Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-12-2012, 10:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 seasons lawn&land View Post
You can tow any trailer you want as long as your combined weight is under.
I don't believe that to be true or what would stop people from towing a 10ton trailer with an s10. I would check with your DOT. Even if your pulling the trailer with nothing on it you still need a CDL A
Old 03-12-2012, 10:53 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

So NEUSWEDE what engine is in your truck?

The Cummins is in a vast majority of these f650 and f750s. I cant see them being terribly underpowered. Maybe a little but we're not looking to win races, just get the job done.
Old 03-12-2012, 11:01 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by srl28 View Post
So NEUSWEDE what engine is in your truck?

The Cummins is in a vast majority of these f650 and f750s. I cant see them being terribly underpowered. Maybe a little but we're not looking to win races, just get the job done.
I have the 300hp Cat and I wouldn't want any less. From what the techs at my Commercial Service place said is that they have a lot of complaints about the motor not having enough power pretty sure it is a V6 cummins and not a v8 but I may be wrong. I have no first hand experience with them.
Old 03-12-2012, 11:09 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

From what they told me I think its a V-8 230hp Cummins 5.9. Been having trouble finding much else out there honestly. For the money and how the truck is setup etc.
Old 03-13-2012, 12:43 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.Services View Post
i have talked to the guy for hours about it, i know its in mint condition. He bought it new and its loaded to the gills. Air ride cab, air ride seat exhaust brake, had a lift axle on it at one time i wish it still had it. I just wish it were a allison auto.

I think the price needs to come down to about 45 to tell you the truth. Figure that hook and body is worth 15 and the truck is worth 30.
I don't know p 55 ain't to bad a price for a truck with only 22k on the clock. Do you know what brand hook and what size it is???
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-13-2012, 01:45 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEUSWEDE View Post
Also on the cdl 4seasons I am pretty sure you need a Class A for any trailer over 9900
Nope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 seasons lawn&land View Post
You can tow any trailer you want as long as your combined weight is under.
As long as the combined GVWR is 26k or under.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Oomkes
Your argument falls flatter than a 3 day old roadkill squirrel.
Old 03-13-2012, 02:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If your truck is registered for under 26,000 then you don't need a cdl regardless of what your trailer weight is. But your truck and trailer combo can't be over 26,000. federal reg's make this really clear.

If your registered weight is over 10,000, depending on what you're doing you may need a DOT number and a Med-Card.

I've never heard of a 5.9 cummins in any orientation other then a straight six. Don't know what you're talking about with a V6 or V8
Old 03-13-2012, 03:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zabmasonry View Post
If your truck is registered for under 26,000 then you don't need a cdl regardless of what your trailer weight is.
Registered weight has nothing to do with it.

Quote:
But your truck and trailer combo can't be over 26,000. federal reg's make this really clear.
Sure it can. Where is that so clear in the fed regs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Oomkes
Your argument falls flatter than a 3 day old roadkill squirrel.
Old 03-13-2012, 03:56 PM
LawnSite Member

These laws are confusing, as the amount of disagreement here testifies. I make it a point at least every 2 years to go to the State Patrol and have this very discussion with a commercial vehicle officer. Duffster is correct, as far as Washington State laws go, which very closely mimic fedral laws. An officer will look at the door sticker every time to make the cdl/no cdl judgement. ( airbrakes aside) And yes, you can tow a 10,000lb trailer with no cdl behind a 26000lb truck. For now. I also carry the latest copy of the Washington administrative code with all pertinent regulations, as some of the newer officers struggle with the same issues posted here. Its too bad it has come to this, but it is the world we live in.
Old 03-13-2012, 07:02 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Ill let duffster take over from here. He usually drop kicks everyone out of the GCWR arguments, which is about once a week. But its true, you can tow a 26k trailer with a bicycle if youve got the legs. At least as far as CDL goes. You might get in trouble for being over the RAWR as a non cdl issue.