Register free!
Search
 
     

Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 03-11-2012, 12:04 PM
01thump 01thump is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: orlando
Posts: 190
I am dealing with a new customer now who wants the world for free i refuse to lower my price or my standards to give him what he wants ..i am sure we will be parting ways shortly and i am fine with that..i try to only work with customers who appreciate my hard work and efforts..i have been lucky that ALL of my accounts have come to me by word of mouth i have not advertised ever,no sign or number on any of my trailers or rig...i do not let other peoples low ball price or offers effect me i know i do good work and know i will be around for a while....
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-11-2012, 09:23 PM
MR-G MR-G is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: CENTRAL FLORIDA
Posts: 476
we give them all what they want...they want cheap...we can do it...they want full service...we can do it...they want cheap full service...not a problem....but if and when they want quality....well, that they need to pay for.....first thing we always ask a new potential client is "what is your budget" ? we have been in business over 25 yrs and can say that there is no one price/quality/ or type of service that fits all.....we always try to get them to tell us what they are willing to pay....and then we explain what they can expect (or not expect) for that rate....it has served us well.....what all of us here sell is "time & knowledge" and nothing more or less...the client needs to decide how much of our time and knowledge they would be willing to purchase.....
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-12-2012, 12:24 PM
Landscape Poet's Avatar
Landscape Poet Landscape Poet is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Oviedo/Orlando
Posts: 3,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR-G View Post
we give them all what they want...they want cheap...we can do it...they want full service...we can do it...they want cheap full service...not a problem....but if and when they want quality....well, that they need to pay for.....first thing we always ask a new potential client is "what is your budget" ? we have been in business over 25 yrs and can say that there is no one price/quality/ or type of service that fits all.....we always try to get them to tell us what they are willing to pay....and then we explain what they can expect (or not expect) for that rate....it has served us well.....what all of us here sell is "time & knowledge" and nothing more or less...the client needs to decide how much of our time and knowledge they would be willing to purchase.....
Any issues with the lower quality of service affecting you ability to sell propery services to neighboring properties or lowering your ability to sell your services in the surrounding area because of the lower quality of service agreed to by the original client?
I can see your point of selling what you can when you can as some neighborhoods although they may be nice neighborhoods...they do not care if the shrubs are kept tight etc....but they do want the lawn to look nice over all. I would think the only fallback of this is like I said that some customers who might be interested in your service never approach you because they doubt your ability to provide quality based on these type of accounts.
__________________
"the art of survival is a story that never ends"

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-12-2012, 04:22 PM
jvanvliet's Avatar
jvanvliet jvanvliet is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: South Florida
Posts: 3,935
If I own the market in an area, we'll cut a lawn for free rather than let anybody else's truck in my market. Just saying, if it's on the block along with a bunch of others, I'd rather not have competition come in.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-12-2012, 05:11 PM
RussellB RussellB is online now
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: SC
Posts: 3,049
Landscape poet, why would you bring his Mercedez up? Who cares what he drives? Maybe it is financed to the hilt. I'll be honest with you, when I see some of the high dollar rigs and equipment some of you all drive I wonder what the customer thinks? Damn, that guy must be high and making a killing. Jvanvliet, why would you do a yard for cheap/free just to keep someone else out? Doesn't make sence. I bid and move on. My work speaks for itself.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 03-12-2012, 05:33 PM
jvanvliet's Avatar
jvanvliet jvanvliet is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: South Florida
Posts: 3,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellB View Post
Landscape poet, why would you bring his Mercedez up? Who cares what he drives? Maybe it is financed to the hilt. I'll be honest with you, when I see some of the high dollar rigs and equipment some of you all drive I wonder what the customer thinks? Damn, that guy must be high and making a killing. Jvanvliet, why would you do a yard for cheap/free just to keep someone else out? Doesn't make sence. I bid and move on. My work speaks for itself.
Figure of speech; keeping a market in one area makes eminent sense to me, specially if it's all on the same couple of blocks.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 03-12-2012, 08:19 PM
MR-G MR-G is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: CENTRAL FLORIDA
Posts: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landscape Poet View Post
Any issues with the lower quality of service affecting you ability to sell propery services to neighboring properties or lowering your ability to sell your services in the surrounding area because of the lower quality of service agreed to by the original client?
I can see your point of selling what you can when you can as some neighborhoods although they may be nice neighborhoods...they do not care if the shrubs are kept tight etc....but they do want the lawn to look nice over all. I would think the only fallback of this is like I said that some customers who might be interested in your service never approach you because they doubt your ability to provide quality based on these type of accounts.
As a matter of fact the exact opposite seems to keep happening.....nobody want to be known as the "cheapskate" of the neighborhood by taking the bottom priced service...so they almost always upgrade to a higher level of service.....our marketing clearly shows our different levels of service...and honestly most of our clients go for the mid to higher end pricing for the better quality...but in this economy we feel it is good business to offer a cheaper alternative should some need it....in some cases the lower end work is actually more profitable and much less demanding !!!
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 03-12-2012, 08:25 PM
MR-G MR-G is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: CENTRAL FLORIDA
Posts: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landscape Poet View Post
Any issues with the lower quality of service affecting you ability to sell propery services to neighboring properties or lowering your ability to sell your services in the surrounding area because of the lower quality of service agreed to by the original client?
I can see your point of selling what you can when you can as some neighborhoods although they may be nice neighborhoods...they do not care if the shrubs are kept tight etc....but they do want the lawn to look nice over all. I would think the only fallback of this is like I said that some customers who might be interested in your service never approach you because they doubt your ability to provide quality based on these type of accounts.
As a matter of fact the exact opposite seems to keep happening.....nobody wants to be known as the "cheapskate" of the neighborhood by taking the bottom priced service...so they almost always upgrade to a higher level of service.....our marketing clearly shows our different levels of service...and honestly most of our clients go for the mid to higher end pricing for the better quality...but in this economy we feel it is good business to offer a cheaper alternative should some need it....in some cases the lower end work is actually more profitable and much less demanding !!!
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 03-12-2012, 10:42 PM
Landscape Poet's Avatar
Landscape Poet Landscape Poet is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Oviedo/Orlando
Posts: 3,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellB View Post
Landscape poet, why would you bring his Mercedez up? Who cares what he drives? Maybe it is financed to the hilt. I'll be honest with you, when I see some of the high dollar rigs and equipment some of you all drive I wonder what the customer thinks? Damn, that guy must be high and making a killing. Jvanvliet, why would you do a yard for cheap/free just to keep someone else out? Doesn't make sence. I bid and move on. My work speaks for itself.

Because Russel B - In this game it is about being able to read the customer and understand what they will pay. It is about reading there emotions and their desires and making them work in your favor. IMHO if you have not figured that out...you could potentially be leaving money on the table.

With someone who drives a Mercedes - it is not that they just want the flashy looking care - if they did they could by a mustang GT etc - they want the engerneering that went into that car because they care about quality they like fine things and are not afraid to pay a little extra for them.
Knowing little differences like this usually tell you how and what to sell the customer if you are worth a damn at sales. With the same breathe if you try to sell quality to the person driving a 1996 ford taurus with more rust than pain - you are almost starting out losing the battle. That is not to say you can not make just as much off this person but package and present it in a manner which shows value.

Noticing little ques like what they wear etc will tell you where you can price too. Rob from here on lawnsite should be able to tell you about last year when I went with him to bid a sod job. He asked my opinion on a certain price point and if he thought it was too high for the customer. I informed him that she was wearing Louis Vuitton prescription glasses....she liked nice things and as long as he presented quality...she would buy. He sold that sod at well above market rate.

So Russel....does that answer your question on why I would mention his car....we cut grass for a living........but how we do so and are profitable is by understanding sales, people and their wants and needs and emotions.
__________________
"the art of survival is a story that never ends"

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 03-12-2012, 10:44 PM
Landscape Poet's Avatar
Landscape Poet Landscape Poet is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Oviedo/Orlando
Posts: 3,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR-G View Post
As a matter of fact the exact opposite seems to keep happening.....nobody want to be known as the "cheapskate" of the neighborhood by taking the bottom priced service...so they almost always upgrade to a higher level of service.....our marketing clearly shows our different levels of service...and honestly most of our clients go for the mid to higher end pricing for the better quality...but in this economy we feel it is good business to offer a cheaper alternative should some need it....in some cases the lower end work is actually more profitable and much less demanding !!!
I could see that working. The middle class are the ones that will most likely never choose the lowest cost if offered a difference as they have often learned that it often is not the best value. That the middle of the road is the best value to them.

Thanks for the refresher.
__________________
"the art of survival is a story that never ends"

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:05 AM.

Page generated in 0.07589 seconds with 7 queries