Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-12-2012, 10:48 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvanvliet View Post
If I own the market in an area, we'll cut a lawn for free rather than let anybody else's truck in my market. Just saying, if it's on the block along with a bunch of others, I'd rather not have competition come in.
I couldn't agree with you more Jvannliet to a extent....but when it comes to the L and O work there are certain cost that just can not be overlooked and a profit has to be made.

I would of gladly cut this guys grass at the price mentioned and turned a profit doing so as it would literally took us just minutes each week without unloading or reloading the trailer. But the issue is this....I would most likely not meet the quality he sees throughout the neighborhood at those prices....and it would be a short lived relationship.
I figure letting them fail and then me to take over at the higher price will make for a more solid long term relationship.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 03-12-2012, 10:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landscape Poet View Post
Because Russel B - In this game it is about being able to read the customer and understand what they will pay. It is about reading there emotions and their desires and making them work in your favor. IMHO if you have not figured that out...you could potentially be leaving money on the table.

With someone who drives a Mercedes - it is not that they just want the flashy looking care - if they did they could by a mustang GT etc - they want the engerneering that went into that car because they care about quality they like fine things and are not afraid to pay a little extra for them.
Knowing little differences like this usually tell you how and what to sell the customer if you are worth a damn at sales. With the same breathe if you try to sell quality to the person driving a 1996 ford taurus with more rust than pain - you are almost starting out losing the battle. That is not to say you can not make just as much off this person but package and present it in a manner which shows value.

Noticing little ques like what they wear etc will tell you where you can price too. Rob from here on lawnsite should be able to tell you about last year when I went with him to bid a sod job. He asked my opinion on a certain price point and if he thought it was too high for the customer. I informed him that she was wearing Louis Vuitton prescription glasses....she liked nice things and as long as he presented quality...she would buy. He sold that sod at well above market rate.

So Russel....does that answer your question on why I would mention his car....we cut grass for a living........but how we do so and are profitable is by understanding sales, people and their wants and needs and emotions.
Mike I understand where your coming from but russel brings up an excellent point. Dont judge book by cover. There are plenty of people around here who drive those kind of cars, but can't really afford them. I've run into plenty of wannabes who drive the nice car, but wobt spend the money needed to do a great job. There's one really really high end gated hood around me. If you drove through you would prob be shocked at what these people drive. Toyotas, hondas, etc. These are multi multimillion and billionaires too. They can afford 10 Mercedes if they want, but they don't need to prove anything....just saying.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-12-2012, 11:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Good points. I look for old money and not wannabees or pretenders. There are many neighborhoods where there are brand new luxury cars, in a garage in a multimillion dollar house. Their car has passes to enter both the country clubs and a private school or else decals indicating there are offspring going to an Ivy League or Cal college. I stay away from those places, they are for the rats that weed whack a lawn for $25 a cut. Whack and blow. That is all they can afford. My usual client has been in their house for a while. Their car is not new, but is well taken care of. There is also no sign of children in private schools or elite colleges. They are not spend thrifts either. What is expected is good care of the lawn and landscape, not a rip out and re do every 5 years. BTW, the rip out and re do is a common move of the wannabees. They cannot handle paying for more than a whack and blow, but changing out grass and shrubs for thousands is ok. Short sighted and money foolish. I do not think I have ever costed more than a rip out and re do if my fees were added up over a 5 year period.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 03-13-2012, 08:15 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landscape Poet View Post
I couldn't agree with you more Jvannliet to a extent....but when it comes to the L and O work there are certain cost that just can not be overlooked and a profit has to be made.

I would of gladly cut this guys grass at the price mentioned and turned a profit doing so as it would literally took us just minutes each week without unloading or reloading the trailer. But the issue is this....I would most likely not meet the quality he sees throughout the neighborhood at those prices....and it would be a short lived relationship.
I figure letting them fail and then me to take over at the higher price will make for a more solid long term relationship.
You make a valid point, but I hate competition in my market. That's why a service agreement is vital.
Old 03-13-2012, 11:03 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
I look for old money and not wannabees or pretenders.
Green

I disagree.

Besides the Big Names everyone knows there are a ton of Trust Fund Babies with huge money. It is the Old Trust Fund Babies that ONLY KNOW HOW TO KEEP MONEY NOT MAKE IT. They are in a click that starts with their Pre School and grammar school education so they can get in a Ivy League school. They are trained in the social graces so they can be a professional nothings with CLASS. Image is everything so they will beat up on the pool Cleaner or Yard Boy for $ 5.00 a month and go to the club to drink $ 500 Champagne because their peers see them. Their view of money and value is scued.

New Money has been different in my case. Sure everyone likes a bargin and their are those Cheap xxxx. But for the most part I find those who know how to make money, Spend money if they get Value.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 03-13-2012, 11:39 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
Green

I disagree.

Besides the Big Names everyone knows there are a ton of Trust Fund Babies with huge money. It is the Old Trust Fund Babies that ONLY KNOW HOW TO KEEP MONEY NOT MAKE IT. They are in a click that starts with their Pre School and grammar school education so they can get in a Ivy League school. They are trained in the social graces so they can be a professional nothings with CLASS. Image is everything so they will beat up on the pool Cleaner or Yard Boy for $ 5.00 a month and go to the club to drink $ 500 Champagne because their peers see them. Their view of money and value is scued.

New Money has been different in my case. Sure everyone likes a bargin and their are those Cheap xxxx. But for the most part I find those who know how to make money, Spend money if they get Value.

Ric I agree with the Doc. Trust fund babies are spoiled and don't appreciate hard work where their grandparents do and don't try to nickel and dime you to death. My best clients are 50 and older and they all pay the best. The yuppies that drive the range rovers and Mercedes are some of the cheapest...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-13-2012, 11:50 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

They are probably using TG's new generic app price of 19.99. In two more months of warm temps and rains he will have a more serious weed problem than the yahoo's (both operations) will be able to fix for 80 bucks.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-13-2012, 02:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondlandscaping View Post
Ric I agree with the Doc. Trust fund babies are spoiled and don't appreciate hard work where their grandparents do and don't try to nickel and dime you to death. My best clients are 50 and older and they all pay the best. The yuppies that drive the range rovers and Mercedes are some of the cheapest...
Posted via Mobile Device
Trust fund babies are the worst. What I look for is old money that has had to work for it. Better still is if they are still working for it. It is rare for me to deal with anyone under 50 as well. In my area, new money fits the profile I have laid out. They might have an expensive house and new cars, but none of it is paid off.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 03-13-2012, 05:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondlandscaping View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
Chris

Did I not make myself clear. Old Money Trust Fund Babies are the worst to do business with. They are spoiled and have a false sense of entitlement. They are Trained to be snobs from youth with their Prep Clothing and Penny Lofer shoes.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 03-14-2012, 07:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
Trust fund babies are the worst. What I look for is old money that has had to work for it. Better still is if they are still working for it. It is rare for me to deal with anyone under 50 as well. In my area, new money fits the profile I have laid out. They might have an expensive house and new cars, but none of it is paid off.
In these parts, we consider old money as folks who are trust fund babies, but for a couple generations deep. So technically they have not had to work for it. These are the folks that in general are well educated, often very down to earth, have a lot of class and taste, and will pay for a high quality service and are very generous to charity.
Doc what you describe is actually new money around here. Folks what you describe are all over the map and I have a mix of them. So I tend not to generalize as to who make better clients. I've found its all about the individual.