Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-15-2012, 11:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Few Questions about getting started

I made a account on here about 2 years ago and havent been on much since. Im looking to get into the bussiness of lawn maintenance Mowing weedeating edging etc. I work 5 to 6 days a week and dont get off till 6. What would be a good way to go about getting started so maybe this time next year or before then I can go full time into it? What are some things I can do during the winter when not able to mow and etc to keep money coming in and to gain clinets? Last question for now is I see alot of lawn companies out mowing in the rain and so on is this ok to do? I've always been taught not to mow when grass is wet.

Thanks in advance
Chris
Old 08-20-2012, 07:09 PM
LawnSite Member

In my opinion, besides obvious clumping, the only reason not to mow in the rain is if the ground gets too saturated where you started rutting the yard. But generally, you've already harmed the yard enough by the time you notice rutting...so if it has to be done, mow in a different direction than normal, or stagger mowing passes.

It would be tough to start a business working 5-6 days per week, but not impossible. I'd start with neighbors and people you know to see if you can mow their yard. Once you get deeper into mowing more accounts and it becomes your primary job you may need to increase your profit to account for overhead. But advertising is tough, especially being able to compete with larger companies. I'd start with posting ad's on craigslist and making up some fliers for homes in your area. But once you start it is a commitment to uphold, try to mow the lawns the same day or even same time of day. Do the best work that your capable of and hopefully your word of mouth will become your most valuable advertising method.
Old 08-20-2012, 07:17 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

It will be hard to ease into it.
Can you save and buy your equipment ?

Can you take a part time job while growing the account list?

How much do you have to have each month?

How long is your growing season?

Lot of questions.