Register free!

Old 01-21-2010, 05:39 PM
LawnSite Member

New setup advice

Hi guys, I have been mowing for about ten years and we do about 100-120 residential and a few small commercial accounts. I am finally starting a second crew ran by my brother-in-law to handle more of the mowing end and I will be focusing a little more on landscaping and start doing fert/weed apps. Many of my customers and their neighbors have been begging me to do this for sometime. Starting out I will only be doing basic fert apps and broadleaf apps. Based on feedback from last season i will probably be looking at doing apps for 50 or so this season and we will see how it grows from there. my question is what set-up should i go with. Most all my properties are 10k-15k sq/ft golf course type lots. Should I just go with a push spreader and a 100 or 200 gallon skid sprayer or should i go with a smaller ride on type machine. My only concern with the skid sprayer is having it take up so much room in the bed of the truck. I will be doing lots of learning this season. Sorry so long but any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-24-2010, 10:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Well....thanks for all the input.
Old 01-26-2010, 12:44 AM
LawnSite Member

are you licensed? if not thats step one. good start set up would include spreader, skid sprayer, and backpack IMO. Some apps are better sprayed. also the backpack will be good for spot treating broadleaf weeds throughout the season.

www.Vogel-Landscaping.com
Old 01-26-2010, 11:43 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah--it will be tight for space in the truck, but you should be able to get a spreader, and 10 bags of fert in the bed. 6 more bags of fert in the cab. Backpacks take up a lot of room--I suggest one quart hand sprayers. You can carry several for different solutions or needs.
http://gilmour.com/Tank-Sprayers/Hand/Hand.aspx

Do not put the sprayer in the truck until its warm and you need it. Consider taking it out when you do your non-spraying rounds.
Old 01-27-2010, 10:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If you have a long box truck, and go with a space-saver type skid, you should be able to get 20 bags or more + the spreader and hand can or two in the box. I have a cross-bed tool box in mine, space-saver skid, spreader and can still get 10 bags or so of fert in the box. It is tight, but it will fit.
I just bought a trailer to setup for fert/squirt apps. I am planning to be able to carry everything I need on the one trailer so that I can hook up and go. I got a ride-on unit last year and found that I was way more productive with that, but still found some of the lawns to be easier to do with the hose and push spreader.
Western 8.5 MVP
Dodge 2500 V10
JD X485 AWS
JD X729 4x4WS
JD X739 4x4WS
Z550 60" TF
Toro PP 21
JDX26
Echo/Stihl/Husqvarna
Old 01-28-2010, 11:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have about 250 fert/weed accounts that I service with a 200 gal skid sprayer, a Lesco push spreader and a couple backpacks. A ride on would be handy for larger accounts but I've never used one. If you're concerned about bed space I would suggest a rig like in the picture or else a flatbed. The size of the tank should depend on how big your lawns are, how close together they are, and how often you want to fill up every day. With my 200 gal tank, I usually fill up once in the morning and once after lunch when doing liquid apps. I normally do 15-20 per day.
Attached Images

Last edited by jdmcat; 01-28-2010 at 11:48 PM.
Old 05-11-2010, 04:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmcat View Post
I have about 250 fert/weed accounts that I service with a 200 gal skid sprayer, a Lesco push spreader and a couple backpacks. A ride on would be handy for larger accounts but I've never used one. If you're concerned about bed space I would suggest a rig like in the picture or else a flatbed. The size of the tank should depend on how big your lawns are, how close together they are, and how often you want to fill up every day. With my 200 gal tank, I usually fill up once in the morning and once after lunch when doing liquid apps. I normally do 15-20 per day.
Are you using the skid sprayer just for weed control/ herbicides? No liquid fert?
Old 05-11-2010, 05:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Why would people be begging someone who has never done it to apply pesticides to their lawns?

Must be a Kentucky thing or an exaggeration thing.
Old 05-11-2010, 06:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeedPro View Post
Why would people be begging someone who has never done it to apply pesticides to their lawns?

Must be a Kentucky thing or an exaggeration thing.
He's been mowing for 10 years, probably has a lot of customers that trust him. If I were the customer, I'd trust my yard guy over TGCL all day long. They probably understand he's learning this and trust he will do a good job. That's my guess...
Old 05-11-2010, 09:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX_yardguy View Post
Are you using the skid sprayer just for weed control/ herbicides? No liquid fert?
liquid fert in apps 1 and 4, on granular apps I only fill it half way with broadleaf as it lasts much longer.