Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 12-07-2002, 12:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Organic Services

How many of you offer organic alternatives?
Old 12-07-2002, 01:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

you mean for weeds? try over in the pesticide forum

for the record we don't :blush:

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 12-07-2002, 01:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Organic Services

I'm north of te border and up here municipalities are banning pesticides left and right. I've been in the business for 15 years and the organic end has grown over 300% in the last 3 years. With ecxellent results, including city park land. Profit margin is huge.

mojo
Old 12-07-2002, 02:45 PM
Millenium Member

I do, I use Sustane for the most part. I also offer soil topdressing with a 50% topsoil/compost mix blown onto the lawn. The results are always favorable.
Old 12-07-2002, 03:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

left and right? the judgement allowing for such bans just recently passed. still, all i ever hear is talk. same with blower bans. talk.

Sir Winston Churchill

Last edited by bubble boy; 12-07-2002 at 03:58 PM.
Old 12-07-2002, 10:21 PM
LawnSite Member

We have a very successul program that I euphemistically named the Bio-Rational program. We add a check-up between services, only spot treat all pest problems, and really emphasize IPM.

This program is expensive because of the extra trips to the lawn and the fert costs, but those folks are willing to pay it. I have a good friend who has an organic only service, and I have referred customers to him who are really on the anti pesticide bandwagon.

I offer this as an alternative, but I in no way accept 99% of the arguments I hear against the wise use of pesticides. I think most of the folks are misinformed, and mislead, but good customers.
Old 12-20-2002, 08:47 PM
LawnSite Member

"Wise use of Pesticide???????"
You are making Fertilizer and Pesticide Co. tons of money and putting tons of chemicals into the ground water and environment. How can you even try and rationalize that organics are not the way to go?
I understand they may cost a bit more (once implemented), however once in the ground....You are spending less on fert, watering less applying less fungicide & pesticides etc. AND not harming the water you drink and your kids don't have nervous system problems because they played on the lawn.
WOW! How did we ever fertilize anything before OIL companies and Chemical companies stared "helping" us out? None of their stuff is even approved...but people like you continue to generously apply it without the slightest idea of the repercusions. Dursban......Diazinon....etc. (which I can go buy with my license...see, these days you just need to spend a little more to destroy the environment)
The only thing NON organic fertilizers insure is that you will buy more....a quick fix to a problem is just that.
As more and more information surfaces on chemical ferts and pesticides more and more TRu-green,Pro-lawn,Stay-green Services will fail.
What is happening in Canada... unfortunately will not filter down to us, any time soon, because we Americans are into instant gratification!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Don't get me wrong...I'm not a tree hugging enviro-hippie with nothing to do but go on websites late a night and vent....I'm just educated............. on what is right and wrong. Plants and turf dont care for synthetic fert and niether do I.
Old 12-20-2002, 09:20 PM
Banned

Even in the best organic programs, there will always be a need for pesticides. There is a point where you cannot control populations because they are so high with biorationals. There will always be a need for pesticides. The real issue is how much of a need will there be.
Old 12-20-2002, 10:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Can you elaborate, on why we will always have to apply pesticides?
Old 12-20-2002, 10:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Before any pesticide hits the streets it goes through extensive tests and analysis. It needs to meet FIFRA laws which are overseen by the federal EPA. When these approved products are applied by a certified professional they are acceptable in our society. Obvious abuse by an applicator will do harm. Yet it's o.k. for the home owner to overapply roundup or weed-n-feeds because they are uneducated and think more is better. The only people doing real harm are the people that can obtain similair products without really knowing how to use them.
If you want to cry about the environment being destroyed by dangerous products, then we all better stop driving our gas guzzling pollution units we use every day, they're called vehicles. Just as pesticides need to meet certain requirements, so do automobiles. What's the difference? If you are going to outlaw one, then evrything that can be related to our personal harm should be eliminated.
If the government allows a certain amount of auto pollution to be consumed by the general public, that is quite similair to pesticide pollutant amounts. Also, people who abuse and misapply pesticides are the ones doing harm to people, just as a reckless driver can cause harm to people also. Where's the difference? They're both government mandated products doing harm in society.
The difference is nobody wants to be inconvenienced by giving up their car. It's easy to cry about something that is not quite as determental to their everyday doings. So playing the "dangerous pesticides" card is an easier sell.
I guess whatever the government wants us to use for peoples lawns are fine with me. I'll sell what I need to. The reason products have been pulled is because they have found them harmful. So the laws by the EPA have been effective and I'm glad they have them. Just as emmision standards have been brought up to par. They have found out over the years that emissions from vehicles have killed people and that is why they have enacted emission testing stations. Just like the pesticides have evolved with testing and new laws. Maybe I'm an idiot, but to me, that's the same scenario.
I'm all for safety laws and regulations, but to think that banning pesticides is what needs to be done is an ignorant statement. Making people aware of safety procedures and laws about proper applications are what need to be enforced. I would say out of the 100 fert customers I maintain, 50 of them were so surprised when I gave copies of my state licensing and/or told them we need to be state certified to apply these products. They were blown away and had no idea. Also, alot of them asked about their use and the products they buy from retail stores. They were puzzled that they could apply similair products with no rules applying to them. As well as I am. If you want to start banning pesticides, I whole heartedly suggest starting with homeowner products available in retail stores. Let's see how that works out first.