Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-12-2012, 04:45 PM
LawnSite Member

Help on a bid!

[ATTACH]Name:  Screen shot 2012-03-12 at 3.26.48 PM.png
Views: 149
Size:  349.3 KB[/ATTACH]

I hope that these pictures show but anyhow, Im bidding the house in the middle with the circle driveway. It seemed a lot bigger in person than on google maps. The football field is there for reference of how big the yard is. The yard is gently sloped in the front (to the left of the driveway) and the side yard is steep in places, not level by any means (I wouldn't attempt to use anything besides a walk behind). The driveway is gravel so trimming only, no edging.

Can you guys give me a ballpark.. this isn't normally a type of yard I mow (size wise) but i thought i'd give it a shot because it's my uncles place.

Oh! and any other info I may have left out, please let me know and i'll be happy to provide you with it.. I have a ballpark in my mind and I also know what the previous guys cut it for.. I just want to see if I'm really that out of my mind with the price I gave him
Thank you!!!
Attached Images

Old 03-12-2012, 05:11 PM
LawnSite Member

A big yard like that, with slopes, several trees and a lot of trimming? I'd say $18 per mow ... $19 if you carry insurance ... $20 if you carry insurance AND pay taxes.

Old 03-12-2012, 05:22 PM
LawnSite Member

oh haha by that sarcasm do you mean that this something that I cant really have help on with some pictures from the internet?
Old 03-12-2012, 07:59 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnGuy35 View Post
A big yard like that, with slopes, several trees and a lot of trimming? I'd say $18 per mow ... $19 if you carry insurance ... $20 if you carry insurance AND pay taxes.

You're a lowballer. I would be closer to $40. That's insured and paying taxes. LOL

Pictures are worth a thousand words with no chance of justice. Doesn't matter if you post a 100 pics of the place, it is what it is. Eventually you'll find someone that will be close to what you think and it will make you feel better. Just go with your gut and remember he's your uncle.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-12-2012, 08:01 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

That looks like a really nice account to have. Did you measure the sq ft? And how many feet of trimming? Bagging or not?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-12-2012, 08:13 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

And travel time?
Old 03-12-2012, 08:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Orange Mower thanks for the advice, I totally understand what your saying, but I'm so frustrated with myself for "mis-bidding" this one so I'm just trying to make myself feel better. I think my uncle may be a little of a cheap skate. As GMLC said, this would have been a great property to have. THe house was on HGTV on the show "What's my house worth?" or something like that. And to top it off it overlooks the Ohio River, it's a pretty cool view.
GMLC, it is approximately 27,375 square feet. I'd say 30 mins trimming. Also he does not want it bagged. I have about a 15 min travel time and I anticipated rising fuel costs. Approximately 9,375 sq ft is hill side mowing
Old 03-12-2012, 08:47 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by W&Wlawncare View Post
Orange Mower thanks for the advice, I totally understand what your saying, but I'm so frustrated with myself for "mis-bidding" this one so I'm just trying to make myself feel better. I think my uncle may be a little of a cheap skate. As GMLC said, this would have been a great property to have. THe house was on HGTV on the show "What's my house worth?" or something like that. And to top it off it overlooks the Ohio River, it's a pretty cool view.
GMLC, it is approximately 27,375 square feet. I'd say 30 mins trimming. Also he does not want it bagged. I have about a 15 min travel time and I anticipated rising fuel costs. Approximately 9,375 sq ft is hill side mowing
Thats a lot of trimming! Keep in mind I do not know your market at all or your costs but here in NH I would charge $98.00 per week. The 30 min of trimming is what really brings up the price. What did you estimate?
Old 03-12-2012, 08:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Id say $120 per week. Trimming 1/2 hour Ive got a lawn that takes me 45min with no trimming= $110. Id mow it first and trim it and if its your uncle than tell him the cost after your done. It might take you longer than you thought.

www.4daughterslandscape.com
Old 03-12-2012, 10:31 PM
LawnSite Member

I told him $125 a week. And he had somebody cutting it at 50$ a week!!!
And yes I know about the trimming but everything is so far apart I'll spend 20/30 mins just walking from obstacle to obstacle.
Thanks for all your help guys