Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-12-2014, 05:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Utility/Tool Body Trailer-New take on old idea

Hey y'all-

This revisits the old discussion of utility body vs pickup bed vs van vs whatever for irrigation repair and installation. I saw something for sale recently that piqued my interest; it's a utility body (Stahl, Reading, etc) that has been converted into a trailer. I have seen some in the past, and they range from redneck to pretty professional looking. I'm assuming most are either truck frames cut off, or tool bodies someone built a simple frame for. Could be made to look very professional with some thought, good welding, and paint.

The questions associated with the old discussion still apply, but reframes it some. Having a utility body trailer would allow you to have everything for installs and repairs all in one place and just tow it. When you go to do an installation, you just bring this with one truck and the trailer and trenching machine with the other. The advantage would be that you don't have a truck loaded down with mostly irrigation parts all the time, and can go and drop it on a job. Heck, you might be able to fit a mini skid in the 4'x6' bed most tool bodies have, having a stout built in ramp or the like. Downside would be you have to take x2 vehicles to do an install and have to tow a trailer for repairs? For a very small company like mine, I'm thinking about this possibility (we have x2 trucks total for landscaping, lawn care, irrigation, etc). Right now, all my irrigation stuffs are contained in x2 weathergurad packrat toolboxes and milk crates mounted to a pallet for loading into a truck.

I ainta gonna pay this much, but this is what I mean. Maybe use the tongue area for something.
http://gulfport.craigslist.org/cto/4281878126.html
Attached Images

Last edited by AWilsonCreativeServices; 02-12-2014 at 05:31 PM.
Old 02-12-2014, 05:32 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Hey, someone stole Jim's trailer.
Old 02-12-2014, 06:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Nope. I have protection against theft

That and for health reasons few people want to take my stuff
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-12-2014, 07:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Hahah. I take it from the pics you have some sort of tool body and have your machine in it? What are its dimensions and how do you like working out of it?
Old 02-12-2014, 10:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yes I do. It's from an eighties something Toyota one ton series truck. Outside measures 80" wide, 90" long and 42" between the boxes. I built the frame with a 7' long tongue and Dixie's sitting on a cross bed box for major tools.

The extra long tongue makes it track and back super well and gives me plenty of room to work around the front of the trailer or the rear of the truck.

I could carry enough fittings to rough plumb and place the electrical for three pools a week without reloading. Let's put it this way. I went through 2 gallons of glue and a gallon of primer a week, every week. That trailer holds a lot.

The trencher loads well and backs right into a stanchion and two pins hold the trencher solidly.

Lastly, my dog wants to know if that hahaha was aimed at her. You see, my dog don't like people laughing. She gets this crazy idea that they're laughing at her.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-12-2014, 10:37 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I love that idea, personally i would do it with a larger covered body off of a medium duty truck so the tools inside stay dry and secure. The exterior boxes are key, i see guys work out of box trucks all the time moaning and groaning about jumping in and out of the truck.
Old 02-12-2014, 11:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by alldayrj View Post
I love that idea, personally i would do it with a larger covered body off of a medium duty truck so the tools inside stay dry and secure.
One time of leaving a trailer as you've described would be one too many. Tools have value that fittings don't. Where I live I could get away with leaving a trailer full of tools in someone's backyard but I can park a trailer full of fittings parked on the street and still sleep. Lock the hitch and go home. You can't say the same with tools.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-13-2014, 05:24 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Good looking security system.
Old 02-13-2014, 09:06 PM
LawnSite Member

"Lastly, my dog wants to know if that hahaha was aimed at her. You see, my dog don't like people laughing. She gets this crazy idea that they're laughing at her."

Jim- please let her know no disrespect was meant; she just looked like one happy camper up on top there. Do you have the ability and desire to take a few general pics of how your box is set up, and how you have stored everything? I have found some better trailer options. One was even a 1-ton dually rear with enclosed top that would be great to lock everything down. Couldn't ever haul a trencher on it, though.

Do y'all think it'd be more important to be able to lock down all tools and fittings in a covered trailer for repair and install, or would you want to be able to take your machine with you for repair work all in one trailer?
Attached Images

Old 02-13-2014, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Edit: I just thought more about the whole concept of carrying a trencher inside a tool body trailer. I have a Toro Dingo (abt 1,500 lbs) + trencher (300+lbs) which would be way too much weight in the back of a 1/2 ton or prob even 3/4 ton tool bed. I put my machine and trencher in the back on one of my 2500HD's once and it was fairly (top) heavy & not something I'd want to do frequently.