Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-14-2012, 10:11 AM
LawnSite Member

West Georgia Start Up

My brother and I are looking to start up a part time lawn care business in West Georgia. We have the cash to buy all new equipment except for a mower. We currently have no accounts and are having some business cards and flyers made up at the moment. I have tons of questions and don't want to go into this blindly. We both have good full time jobs and are just looking to get maybe 10-20 accounts to service after 5 on weekdays and on the weekends. We have been considering buying a new exmark mower from a local dealer since we have excellent credit and they are offereing 0% financing for 24 months, but feel that would be too much of a risk given we are a start up. So we have decided to borrow a craftsmen riding mower for now. What suggestions would you guys have about buying a mower for a first year start up? Of course we would like to get some steady work then upgrade, but to what? We plan on targeting residential neighborhoods with no more than 1/2 acre lots. Also, what forumla can be used to bid jobs? We want to stick strictly to mowing, trimming, edging, and blowing. Maybe occasional hedge trimming or tree removal (my uncle runs a firewood business and bids tree removal jobs from time to time, so he would come into the picture here). Also, does anyone know about what time of year customers begin to need lawn services in my area? Any advice is greatly appreciated, thanks!
Old 03-14-2012, 11:06 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

what part of west ga? i live around cobb county. in my opinion i wouldn't finance a new exmark. i would look for a used walk behind and pay cash for it, much cheaper and usually you can find a decent machine. i'd work with the craftsman till i had the cash. (but, thats just me..) i'd start with something that could get through gates like a 36" walk behind, then later on move up to something bigger so you still have the 36" to get through gates. i'd somehow try to find out what others are charging in the area you are gonna be working, to get an idea of what to charge. now is the time people are starting to think about the lawn here. i would start getting flyers out now.

also, i wouldn't do it without a liability insurance policy.. you never know what could happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by presnallawncare View Post
My brother and I are looking to start up a part time lawn care business in West Georgia. We have the cash to buy all new equipment except for a mower. We currently have no accounts and are having some business cards and flyers made up at the moment. I have tons of questions and don't want to go into this blindly. We both have good full time jobs and are just looking to get maybe 10-20 accounts to service after 5 on weekdays and on the weekends. We have been considering buying a new exmark mower from a local dealer since we have excellent credit and they are offereing 0% financing for 24 months, but feel that would be too much of a risk given we are a start up. So we have decided to borrow a craftsmen riding mower for now. What suggestions would you guys have about buying a mower for a first year start up? Of course we would like to get some steady work then upgrade, but to what? We plan on targeting residential neighborhoods with no more than 1/2 acre lots. Also, what forumla can be used to bid jobs? We want to stick strictly to mowing, trimming, edging, and blowing. Maybe occasional hedge trimming or tree removal (my uncle runs a firewood business and bids tree removal jobs from time to time, so he would come into the picture here). Also, does anyone know about what time of year customers begin to need lawn services in my area? Any advice is greatly appreciated, thanks!
Old 03-14-2012, 11:16 AM
LawnSite Member

I live in Villa Rica, but was going to focus on neighborhoods in west douglas county (I live right on the county line). Also we were going to do some advertising in Peachtree City since my brother works down there and could service lawns after work (also was thinking that area could payout more per lawn). How much does a liability policy cost?
Old 03-19-2012, 08:57 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

500 to 700 a year i believe. that is what i paid when i did it. they broke it up into installments so it was like 50 or 60 a month..

Quote:
Originally Posted by presnallawncare View Post
I live in Villa Rica, but was going to focus on neighborhoods in west douglas county (I live right on the county line). Also we were going to do some advertising in Peachtree City since my brother works down there and could service lawns after work (also was thinking that area could payout more per lawn). How much does a liability policy cost?
Old 07-16-2012, 01:49 AM
LawnSite Member

Just wanted to check in and see how your start-up was doing... I'm thinking of getting into the business as well - and I'm also in Villa Rica - how are things going for you and your brother?
Old 07-16-2012, 09:12 AM
LawnSite Member

Things are going well. We have 14 residential accounts, mostly every other week. We would like to pick up a few more but those keep us busy since we have M-F 8-5 jobs and dont want to work all day every saturday. A commercial account or two would be nice to give us a little cash flow through winter for our mower payment but we really haven't pursued it as of now. Are you planning on going into it fulltime or just part-time?
Old 07-16-2012, 09:15 AM
LawnSite Member

I'm working a full time job right now, but because of the nature of my job, I have more mornings and daytimes off than nights. I'd like to get started part-time until it builds into a full-time position.

Any hurdles you guys have had? Any problems you weren't expecting?
Old 07-16-2012, 09:25 AM
LawnSite Member

Hardest part is probably pricing jobs. I feel like I am doing good on some and price them right then others I feel too cheap on, but for the most part it evens out and I feel that we are getting better at it. Scheduling is tricky in order to make the most of your time as well, but most of our accounts are no more than 10 miles away. We ended up buying a new mower so we wouldn't have to worry about break downs since our time is limited and have been happy with that decision.
Old 07-16-2012, 09:26 AM
LawnSite Member

That's great, glad to hear it's going well...

What kind of mower did you get?
Old 07-16-2012, 09:31 AM
LawnSite Member

52" Exmark Lazer Z X-series

Tags
bids , marketing , mower advice , start up