Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-12-2012, 11:48 AM
LawnSite Member

Need restarting advice

New guy here. New to to this site anyway, not to the business.

I've been in the business before and have quite a bit of experience, I've been a part owner of a small lawn care business along with having worked for a bigger crew. Now I've got a job I don't like and want to start up again with something on the side until I can build it up enough to quit my current job.

I've got a marketing plan pretty well nailed down but now I'm wondering what I should do about equipment. I've got a wead eater, blower and hedge trimmer that are all fit for commercial duty along with most of the other little odds and ends I know I'll need. I've also got a truck but no trailer and and only a little 22" toro residential walk behind. I'd like to get a 32- 36" walk behind, I think that will be a good place to start.

So basically what I'm wondering is if its worth it to go ahead and buy a mower and trailer this late in the year or should I just try to push mow whatever yards I can get this year.
Old 07-12-2012, 12:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't put your horse behind your carriage. Get the clients first. Then line up the toys.
Old 07-12-2012, 10:35 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

You have a small mower that will not be able to get a lot of work done.

But that small mower still can do more work then you have. So to buy a bigger mower when you more hours then you have work to fill those hours will make spending money on a mower not a good move at this time.
Old 07-13-2012, 11:39 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the feedback, I was thinking that I should probably wait and I guess this pretty much confirms that.
Old 07-30-2012, 03:49 PM
Sponsor

Focus your efforts now on testing your marketing plan and strategies. Make sure to ask each person that calls or contacts you on website how they heard about you. Don't just guess how they are performing. This way you can see what parts of your plan are working or not and double down on the ones that are. You should include everything, both those that you spend money on and those you don't.

Best of luck to you. Keep up the good work.
Old 07-30-2012, 05:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Your story sounds similar to mine.....

I mowed for years and in 2007 decided I wanted to pursue an office job, chase the corporate dream, put on a suit and tie and schmooze with executives at company funded happy hours.. I have sense found that the corporate "dream" for most people involves winning the lottery or suffer a life of misery. I am more uncomfortable wearing a suit and tie than I ever was mowing and ONLY the executives get to screw around on company time.

So, I am carefully planning my escape for March of 2013, of course live marketing efforts will commence in January. I'll tell you like I see it for myself; Take the time and plan it to a "T". Pick up enough lawns with a marketing strategy and then buy the equipment (Of course thats easier for me to do in Va where we have an off season) I'm guessing in Texas, yall mow near year-round

Keep me in the loop!