Register free!


Reply
 
Thread Tools   Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-15-2012, 11:51 PM
abcfamily's Avatar
abcfamily abcfamily is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Celina Ohio
Posts: 239
Paint it on

O.k. so I am tired of waiting for a calm day to spray around my mulch beds. And I have a paint stick that I haven't used in years, so I got to thinking why not just load it up with some round up and roll it on the weeds.
Only problem is I tried just using water (as a trial to see if it would leak) and it is to thin and wants to drip as I walk between the beds. Now I could carry it around in a bucket but that would be a pain.
This brings me to my question. What can I add to it to thicken it up enough not to want to drip? Thanks for your suggestions.
__________________
Andy
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-16-2012, 12:11 AM
kbrashears's Avatar
kbrashears kbrashears is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: North Central Arkansas
Posts: 675
Quote:
Originally Posted by abcfamily View Post
O.k. so I am tired of waiting for a calm day to spray around my mulch beds. And I have a paint stick that I haven't used in years, so I got to thinking why not just load it up with some round up and roll it on the weeds.
Only problem is I tried just using water (as a trial to see if it would leak) and it is to thin and wants to drip as I walk between the beds. Now I could carry it around in a bucket but that would be a pain.
This brings me to my question. What can I add to it to thicken it up enough not to want to drip? Thanks for your suggestions.
Pay it by the hour. Guaranteed to slow down.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-16-2012, 12:15 AM
knox gsl's Avatar
knox gsl knox gsl is online now
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: knoxville, tn
Posts: 3,782
corn starch
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-16-2012, 01:56 AM
greendoctor greendoctor is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii
Posts: 7,438
Quote:
Originally Posted by abcfamily View Post
O.k. so I am tired of waiting for a calm day to spray around my mulch beds. And I have a paint stick that I haven't used in years, so I got to thinking why not just load it up with some round up and roll it on the weeds.
Only problem is I tried just using water (as a trial to see if it would leak) and it is to thin and wants to drip as I walk between the beds. Now I could carry it around in a bucket but that would be a pain.
This brings me to my question. What can I add to it to thicken it up enough not to want to drip? Thanks for your suggestions.
RoundUp as a paint on application may be kept as concentrated as 1 part RoundUp to 3 parts water. I use a 4 oz bottle sold for applying grout sealants. It is a squeeze bottle with a small bristle brush at the top. It does not take much touched to a weed and it is way safer than a sprayer to desirable shrubs.
__________________
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin 1775

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-16-2012, 07:42 AM
cgaengineer's Avatar
cgaengineer cgaengineer is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Winder, GA
Posts: 15,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
RoundUp as a paint on application may be kept as concentrated as 1 part RoundUp to 3 parts water. I use a 4 oz bottle sold for applying grout sealants. It is a squeeze bottle with a small bristle brush at the top. It does not take much touched to a weed and it is way safer than a sprayer to desirable shrubs.
I suspect this is a similar bottle to the one that come with a Permagreen but has a TeeJet nozzle in it...I use the PG bottle with my mower to blast weeds as I see them and have been looking for a lower cost alternative.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-17-2012, 01:07 AM
gqnine44's Avatar
gqnine44 gqnine44 is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 503
Just buy one of these and your in business...

http://redweeder.com/buytheredweeder.html
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-17-2012, 02:53 PM
RigglePLC's Avatar
RigglePLC RigglePLC is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Grand Rapids MI
Posts: 9,568
Tip the wick roller up to prevent drips between beds.
http://www.tractorsupply.com/hand-he...ttp:WcmDisplay

Maybe try a hand-held sprayer.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-18-2012, 06:25 PM
abcfamily's Avatar
abcfamily abcfamily is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Celina Ohio
Posts: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenstarlawns View Post
corn starch
I think this is what I will try first, hopefully later on this week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
Tip the wick roller up to prevent drips between beds.
http://www.tractorsupply.com/hand-he...ttp:WcmDisplay

Maybe try a hand-held sprayer.
Got one of these buy it's where the grass and mulch beds meet that I like the roller idea.
__________________
Andy
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:29 PM.

Page generated in 0.08939 seconds with 7 queries