Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-15-2012, 11:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Creeping Indigo

Has anyone successfully killed creeping indigo. I bought a house 9 months ago in South Miami, Florida and it is infested with creeping indigo. The expert at the fertilizer place said to use Weedair64. It seemed to hurt the leaves but nothing happened to the plant. I used Roundup, the ones that "kills the plant, roots and all" and it did not work. The indigo just sends out new branches and fresh green leaves. I have 55,000 sq ft of lawn. too much area to use my jack hammer to dig down through the rock and dig up the root system. Any suggestions? At this point I don't care if I kill all my grass.
Old 03-16-2012, 01:06 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Metsulfuron herbicide + methylated seed oil as the surfactant. Metsulfuron is applied at 1/2 oz per acre. I see this weed all the time in Hawaii. Trimec, Weedar 64, or even Speedzone do not do that much to it. So most lawn weed applications leave it relatively untouched. RoundUp + triclopyr herbicide is another option if you are looking to kill everything. RoundUp by itself is not that strong on legume weeds such as creeping indigo or lead tree. You need metsulfuron. Metsulfuron is safe on St Augustine and other southern grasses as long as the dosage is kept at or under 1/2 oz per acre. Watch out, this stuff can kill trees if applied over their roots in sandy soil and it will sterilize the ground if 1 oz per acre is exceeded. If you do not have the ability to weigh out small quantities and then apply them evenly, this is not a good product to use. I would suggest leaving this one to a Florida CPO that totally knows his stuff.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 03-16-2012, 07:39 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the fast reply. I did not want to mess with myself but I have not been able to find anyone who is willing to take a shot at the indigo. Most people want to sign me up for a yearly lawn treatment service and they do not seem to know what creeping indigo is. Even our state ag center was no help.

So, if I found someone willing to applyMetsulfuron herbicide + methylated seed oil as the surfactant, will this be applied to the entire lawn or is it just a spot treatment? The indigo is hard to see under the St Augustine mat and the runners are a couple feet long. I have been picking a 100 square foot area spray it with Roundup, wait a week and basically follow a runner to the tap root and digging down a couple of feet with a jack hammer to cut the root and spray Roundup on the root after it is cut. This system is taking forever. It you are saying that I can have someone just spray the lawn and it will eradicate the plant and stop the seeds from sprouting then you are a lifesaver!
Old 04-26-2012, 10:35 PM
LawnSite Member

still need help

I could not find anyone who is willing to apply a herbicide to kill something not listed on the label. I purchased some Manor (Metsulfuron) and some methylated seed oil. I mixed the first batch in a 5 gallon sprayer. I used .125oz of Manor in 5 gallons of water and mixed in the seed oil after mixing the Manor. I spot treated the creeping indigo. 2 weeks later I do not see a change. How long does it take to see yellowing or a sign of the indigo dying.
Old 04-27-2012, 03:20 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I hope that the .125 oz covered at least 5000 sq ft of actual area. I am not talking about spot treating in a 5000 sq ft section, I mean the entire area. It normally takes about 3 weeks before you see any effect from this product. If the trees are going to die from this application, that will take about a month or two to start happening.

Old 04-27-2012, 04:54 PM
LawnSite Member

55,000 Sq Ft

My yard is 55,000 Sq Ft. The indigo is in patches through out the property. I would say it covered at least 5 or 6 thousand square feet. I have been picking the seed pods before they ripen and fall. Hopefully that will help further control the problem. Hopefully it will start to look sick next week. The St Augustine is a little yellow today in the places I sprayed 14 days ago.
Old 04-29-2012, 05:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The creeping indigo is some tough stuff. It takes a long time for it to be affected. The yellowing is a sign that the st augustine was overdosed in the spots. Hopefully it grows out. There is a herbicide labeled for it, but your applicator would be truly in violation of the law for applying it. Monument 75 WG is labeled. But that is not for use on st augustine lawns. Apparently the applicators you talked to did not know as much as they should. It is not a label violation to apply a product to a labeled site for weed control even if that exact weed is not listed on the label. Manufacturers cannot test every single weed in existence. They can test for safety on desirable turf. Monument would stunt and then burn up st augustine. I have used it to control st augustine when it invaded a zoysia lawn.

Old 04-30-2012, 12:19 AM
LawnSite Member

Monument

A few weeks ago I watched a training video on Monument and called the manufacturer and they pretty much said the same thing you did...It will kill St. Augustine grass. It is pretty expensive too but it might be my last resort. I would like to see how big of an area around the indigo plant that the herbicide would kill the St Augustine if I spot treated just the Indigo plants. If the Manor does not take care of the Indigo then I guess Plan D will be Monument.

I will let you know in a few weeks. If I got enough on the grass to yellow it then hopefully it will be enough to kill the indigo. It looks like we will have a week of heavy rain showers. Hopefully it will not wash away the herbicide that was applied two weeks ago.

Thanks again for all of your help.
Old 04-30-2012, 01:50 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

No need to go to Monument. The Manor will do the job. I would imagine that the creeping indigo is not growing any more. Normally, it keeps on growing and flowering. This type of herbicide is very subtle in effect, but final. Rain two weeds later will not wash off the herbicide. It is only if it rains within 24 hours that you might have a problem.