Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-16-2012, 07:03 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Spiral Whitefly in Palm Beach

Got a couple of calls from customers with Gumbo Limbo trees in decline. Showed up, trees and leaves covered in sooty mold. The leaves had the classic spiral egg pattern of the fly. Remarkably the nearby Crotons, Corn Stalk & Bougainvilleas were covered with the soot and appeared to be infested although not as heavily as the Gumbo Limbo.

We pulled out the pressure cleaner and injected Dawn soap into the reduced pressure flow to clean as much soot from the trees and plants as possible.

Next we applied topical and systemic drench to the foliage followed by a systemic bark drench; Safari has a formula for bark drenches.

We'll see what the trees look like in a month.

Curious to know if I should do a basal soil fertilizer injection or let the tree recover and then fertilize.
Old 03-16-2012, 07:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

If this is their growth period or shortly before that growth period starts, then yes. The only way I have ever been able to get on top of a spiraling whitefly infestation is by cutting back the plants or trees, then doing all of the chemical treatments. The plants do not take up the systemic treatments very well if they are starved.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 03-16-2012, 07:32 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
If this is their growth period or shortly before that growth period starts, then yes. The only way I have ever been able to get on top of a spiraling whitefly infestation is by cutting back the plants or trees, then doing all of the chemical treatments. The plants do not take up the systemic treatments very well if they are starved.
Thanks, we are getting into our wet and growth season.

Have you tried the Arbor Jet injection system? I'm thinking it's a faster app & efficacy, especially for larger trees. I got trees with as much as 150 inches of trunk.
Old 03-16-2012, 07:50 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

No. Most of my trees have a smaller caliper and I am very nervous about making holes in trunks. Merit in soluble fertilizer soil injected has worked well for me so far. One more thing, spiraling whitefly tends to be tolerant of pyrethroids. Too much Talstar being used.

Old 03-16-2012, 08:03 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
No. Most of my trees have a smaller caliper and I am very nervous about making holes in trunks. Merit in soluble fertilizer soil injected has worked well for me so far. One more thing, spiraling whitefly tends to be tolerant of pyrethroids. Too much Talstar being used.
Too much imidacloprid too. The chems have got to rotate. Soil injection has worked well for me too. Have you looked at Coretect? I'd still switch chems though, Aloft is still too expensive... for now.
Old 03-16-2012, 10:50 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Sure have looked at Coretect. Coretect would be my first choice if I were transplanting azaleas, gardenias, and ixoras into a landscape. The lacebug, mealybug, and scale start the moment those plants are in the ground. I do not get a break. Merit is cheap for me when I order the 110x1.6 oz Minidrum. I have not seen a lot of resistance to imidacloprid here, mostly because the cost of Merit turns off the hacks. The only other people that deal with Merit are the big landscape companies. Although, I get work from them regularly because I do soil injections they only do bucket drenches.

For resistance management, it is actually a very bad idea to be playing between acetamiprid, clothianidin, dinotefuran, and imidacloprid. My preferred alternate to that would be highly illegal. I am thinking Di-Syston, dimethoate or Metasystox-R. Vydate would be good as well.

Old 03-17-2012, 05:43 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
For resistance management, it is actually a very bad idea to be playing between acetamiprid, clothianidin, dinotefuran, and imidacloprid.
Not much choice when it comes to systemics. Alternativle apply a contact agent and plan on coming back often?

Quote:
My preferred alternate to that would be highly illegal. I am thinking Di-Syston, dimethoate or Metasystox-R. Vydate would be good as well.
Old 03-17-2012, 06:16 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Or remember to also use alternative chemistry when using foliars. One of my favorite resistance management tools is azadirhactin added to standard contact products in alternation with chemical IGRs. I actually need to be careful about Safari because in spite of the cost, the hacks like it because it does not need to be soil injected to work. A pour on application works. As I said before, Orthene has not let me down because no one uses it outside of greenhouse and nursery growers. Don't understand why, because it is cheap. I hardly bat an eye when dumping the entire 0.75 lb can into a 100 gallon tank.

You know I would never use OP products off label. I remember them from my early days in the business and still use some of them as a custom applicator in nurseries. I would not want a product with a 21 day REI in a residential area. Although I wonder how we made it out of the 70's and 80's still alive. Because I was a kid in the 70's when those products were sold over the counter and packaged for home gardener use. The old Ortho Isotox consisted of Kelthane, Sevin and Metasystox-R. I come across that when people want to give me their old chemicals. Di-Syston was sold as a systemic granule for roses and flowers up until last year when Bayer withdrew it from the market. Amazing how we are not all dead.

Old 03-18-2012, 09:52 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Did you add "pentra-bark" bark penetrant to your mix of safari for the basil treatment?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvanvliet View Post
Got a couple of calls from customers with Gumbo Limbo trees in decline. Showed up, trees and leaves covered in sooty mold. The leaves had the classic spiral egg pattern of the fly. Remarkably the nearby Crotons, Corn Stalk & Bougainvilleas were covered with the soot and appeared to be infested although not as heavily as the Gumbo Limbo.

We pulled out the pressure cleaner and injected Dawn soap into the reduced pressure flow to clean as much soot from the trees and plants as possible.

Next we applied topical and systemic drench to the foliage followed by a systemic bark drench; Safari has a formula for bark drenches.

We'll see what the trees look like in a month.

Curious to know if I should do a basal soil fertilizer injection or let the tree recover and then fertilize.
Old 03-18-2012, 07:22 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fl-landscapes View Post
Did you add "pentra-bark" bark penetrant to your mix of safari for the basil treatment?
No, I didn't. Valent didn't call for an adjuvant.

But I will add it to the mix in the future. Thanks.