Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-16-2012, 04:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Heat,Heat,Heat

3rd straight day of 80 with another 4 to come, doubt Pre-Em will work who knows. Normal high 50, and normal low 30. Has been highs 80 and lows in 60's.
Old 03-16-2012, 06:07 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Been that way for a month here. Newsalesoutheass. A month earlier than normal
Old 03-16-2012, 09:32 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Supposedly arounf the 23'rd temps are goign to be in the low 50's for highs and lows in the mid 30's. but who knows for sure, woudln't hold my breath. I don't liek these temps as I fear another bad severe weather season.

2013 haulmark 18' trailer
2013 John Deere 52' walkbehind
2012 Gator with skid sprayer
2010 Turfco T-3000
2008 JD 997
2006 JD 647a
2004 JD 757 w/ 3 bag & Iron MCS
2002 JD 757 w/ 2 bag MCS
2002 JD 757
Stihl, Echo, Tanka 2 strokes
Big Tex trailers
Tons of other equipment
Old 03-16-2012, 09:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Started all my pre-em apps today. Should be finished tomorrow.

People are going to be screaming for an early herbicide treatment.

Definitively going to be doing a second app in about 4-5 weeks. Mostly liquid dimension for second app on edges of lawns and thin areas.

Absolutely crazy this year. My early tulips haven't bloomed yet, my later ones are now, and the fruit trees are just showing signs of blooms. This year could be a disaster for fruit crops if we get a late freeze.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 03-16-2012, 09:44 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLCS View Post
Supposedly arounf the 23'rd temps are goign to be in the low 50's for highs and lows in the mid 30's. but who knows for sure, woudln't hold my breath. I don't liek these temps as I fear another bad severe weather season.
Me too...I can try to avoid a tornado. However, I can't avoid over 3 months without a drop of rain or almost 40 days of 100+ temps. This is what worries me most. Our lawns took an extreme beating the last 2 years. A 3rd year of the same and I'll have a few that are "toast". I really feel for the folks in Texas though...We were mid 80's today. It was typical of mid to late May in our area.
Old 03-16-2012, 09:58 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

People up here are just tickled for all the great weather we have had this year. I keep telling them that we are going to pay for it at the grocery stores sooner than they think. The lack of snow has its drawbacks, the biggest is the precip, second bugs are at all time high. Now if we get a dry summer, with the lack of precip this winter combind with a dry summer, not good at all. Watch food prices sky rocket. just look at the size of the mosquitos now. they are terrible right now and its only march! We only had about 3-4 inches of frost in the ground this winter and that was for about 2 weeks. If we get a hard freeze now, i think there will be alot of plant damage to deal with. Oh well i love cold weather.

2013 haulmark 18' trailer
2013 John Deere 52' walkbehind
2012 Gator with skid sprayer
2010 Turfco T-3000
2008 JD 997
2006 JD 647a
2004 JD 757 w/ 3 bag & Iron MCS
2002 JD 757 w/ 2 bag MCS
2002 JD 757
Stihl, Echo, Tanka 2 strokes
Big Tex trailers
Tons of other equipment
Old 03-16-2012, 10:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You southern guys are kind of used to this weather in March. Up here, 80 degrees in March is just plain absurd. Been 70's for the last 4 days. The heat really is pushing everything too fast...too much stuff budding out or sprouting that could be nailed by a hard freeze (our normal last frost is 1st week of May).
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
Husqvarna 125B Blower
PG Magnum
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder
EcoLawn 200 Applicator

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Old 03-16-2012, 10:47 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted putnam View Post
Me too...I can try to avoid a tornado. However, I can't avoid over 3 months without a drop of rain or almost 40 days of 100+ temps. This is what worries me most. Our lawns took an extreme beating the last 2 years. A 3rd year of the same and I'll have a few that are "toast". I really feel for the folks in Texas though...We were mid 80's today. It was typical of mid to late May in our area.
Notice I said May...not March.

We could have some serious problems if a cold snap comes through also.

It really concerns me that we aren't cooler than what we are. Could spell trouble

Rice and soybeans aren't planted until later so that's of no consequence but the orchards and berry farms could take a beating

Last edited by ted putnam; 03-16-2012 at 10:55 PM.
Old 03-16-2012, 11:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

This is my third year of sub 80 temperatures at this time of the year. Combine that with lots of wind and rain, it is the perfect storm. Not cold enough to kill anything, too cloudy and cool for warm season grass to grow properly. Bad weather to spray anything in. The weather has been bipolar. It is either raining or blowing really hard. Have not seen a happy medium for a long time. I have been spoiled by years of almost 90 weather all year long. Sure there were still insects and weeds. But the grass grew well and it was usually calm enough to to do what I was supposed to do.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 03-17-2012, 08:00 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted putnam View Post
Are you seeing unusual weed pressure that may be associated with this unusual weather?