Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-09-2002, 09:49 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Auto Darkening Helmets

I have the bug to buy one of these and I have seen the local Farm and Fleet has them for $80. I also have one of these discount tool catalogs coming to town adv. them for like $40. Are there any features or things to look for with these things? I trust the one from F&F but don't know about the cheapies or E-Bay ones. I weld about once a week for not very long, but don't mind buying quality, especially for safety related issues. I remembeer when they came out they were > $200. Got any suggestions?
Scott
Old 12-09-2002, 06:32 PM
LawnSite Member

the good ones still are 200.00. just rewmember that you get what you pay for and don't be surprized if a cheap one doesn't last for ever, or a month
Old 12-10-2002, 08:58 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I borrowed one, a while back, it was a $200.00 unit. Its worked great...you just have to remember to shut your eyes, at first to give it a second to darken.

And those things burn up some batteries!

Altavista Lawn Care
Old 12-10-2002, 09:26 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Mine is a $200+ unit as well. I can't say enough good things about it. I love it, love it, love it!!!

Mine has a rechargeable battery that uses sunlight and the light from the arc to recharge the battery. I've never had to replace the battery, but I did learn that when I'm not using it, it seems to work better if I leave it in a place that gets some sunlight during the day.

Also, mine autodarkens really fast. In fact, it darkens in a flash!! (sorry, I couldn't resist) I suspect that this is something nice that my higher price bought along with other features.
Old 12-10-2002, 01:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Don't buy a cheap one they don't have the same safety features as a good quality one gotta remember you only get one set of eyes and you "F" them up you have wished you bought the better helmet. I'am a welder by trade I have gotten lots of flashes I never got a bad one where you had to stay in a dark room for a couple days and use special eye drops.

Mig and aluminum welding are the worst for brightness so use a 13-14 shade lense I use a 13 for everything but I mostly use stick burning boxes of rod per day.

I haven't been welding for over 2 years my eyes just couldn't take it anymore I ended up with head aches and dry eyes so thats enough for me. I still weld on my own projects but I don't work in our welding shop or do contract welding like my brother does I rather pull wrenches.
Old 01-09-2003, 01:14 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I bought the $80 unit, normally $100 from Farm and Fleet. Talked to two other guys who have them, one professional and one an equipment rat like myself and they both liked theirs. So far so good. I can't believe the difference being able to see where you're going to strike can make. No more little black burns all over your work and no more flipping the lid down. Thanks for all the feedback.
Scott
Old 01-09-2003, 09:19 PM
Suspended

What shade does urs go from to? my dads new one was $550 it has flame graphics on it, but thats how he make a living and his employer paid for it, he brought it home when i was building my trailer and it shure helped alot and looked cool to. alot better than a flip up
Old 01-11-2003, 12:21 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Checked it out and it goes from 9-14. Welded on my trailer the other day and this things the ticket.