Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-18-2013, 11:50 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by THIESSENS TLC View Post
what model year is your ferris oaknut?
Heh. I've come to find that there's no such thing as model years for mowers.

I purchased it new last spring. (2012)
I asked Ferris directly since the engine hp was one less than what it stated in the books and because it has the sensor grips. (not mentioned in the book)
He said it's not like autos - that features/engines can and do change at any time, and there are no "year" designations for mowers. An acquaintance in the mower sales business across the state confirmed this as well when I asked if the guy was jerking my chain.

Ferris was able to determine from the serial number (roughly) the date of manufacture. I THINK he said it was made in 2010, or 2011 - I can't recall for sure.

I had started questioning whether I had actually gotten a good deal on it, as it seemed it was an "older model", but as it turns out I'm happy it was an older one since the next run of them did not have sensor grips.
He did note that this is one of the "least changed" mowers in their lineup.
Old 06-12-2014, 10:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Oaknut how is the ferris going? Any recent stripe pics?
Old 06-12-2014, 11:24 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by locallawncare.ca View Post
Hey Oaknut how is the ferris going? Any recent stripe pics?
No problems. It's still got pretty low hours though - some lawns are too small to use it on and heavy spring growth doesn't mix well with having a mulch kit, so it doesn't see extensive use until summer.

I dunno if I have any pics of "stripes" - mainly because the larger lawns I use it on aren't all that nice, and partly because I don't think it really stripes all that well.
I suppose some mowers stripe without any help, but I've been toying with making a striping kit using a rubber mat.

I'll have to look through my pics now because I'm curious if I've taken any pics of lawns cut with it.
Old 06-13-2014, 08:16 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks Oaknut, I used to use a ferris 32" many years ago and it striped pretty good depending on the lawn, I'm looking at getting a Hydrocut 36", I like the idea of a mulch kit but as you said heavy spring growth and mulching don't mix too well. There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of Ferris users on Lawnsite so keep us posted, thanks.
Old 06-13-2014, 06:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkilov View Post
Thanks for the input.

Do they still have the double deck pulley where you have to jump the belt over when going from very low to very high deck adjustment? That and the thumb controls were the only thing I didn't like about the Hydrocut.
Good reason for not liking that we are on the third clutch in 4 years. We opted for the scag szxt this time around. But no other complaints....get snapper and elimate starter not necessary. Cheaper.
Old 06-13-2014, 06:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Funny, I never had an issue with the clutch, I recall the deck needed a weld or two and the front caster supports required some reinforcement, but overall the thing was a little tank of a machine, I am referring to the hydrocut 32 and not the DD which is a different machine altogether. The electric start came in handy for the enclosed trailer starting and also give you a battery to hook a power chute up to.
Old 06-13-2014, 07:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by locallawncare.ca View Post
Funny, I never had an issue with the clutch, I recall the deck needed a weld or two and the front caster supports required some reinforcement, but overall the thing was a little tank of a machine, I am referring to the hydrocut 32 and not the DD which is a different machine altogether. The electric start came in handy for the enclosed trailer starting and also give you a battery to hook a power chute up to.
Isn't that model single hydro..... that not good.
Old 06-13-2014, 08:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, its a single hydro, they are actually very nice to operate, although not good for hills, atleast side to side on hills. I used to run one and would stand behind the Hydrocut anyday, it's effortless to turn. One day a few of the guys didn't show up for work and I conned my girlfriend into coming into work and she was running it within 5 minutes and said it was super easy.
Old 06-27-2014, 10:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Looks great oaknut! Do you think you would ever consider purchasing the bagger attachment for the Ferris? Also, do you find that the Super Recycler tends to bog down when mulching tall(er) grass? My 2014 Recycler tends to be happier with side discharge for taller (and especially wet) grass, but I'm not sure if there is a difference in power between the two (mine is 6.75 hp)
Old 06-27-2014, 11:52 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowman13 View Post
Looks great oaknut! Do you think you would ever consider purchasing the bagger attachment for the Ferris? Also, do you find that the Super Recycler tends to bog down when mulching tall(er) grass? My 2014 Recycler tends to be happier with side discharge for taller (and especially wet) grass, but I'm not sure if there is a difference in power between the two (mine is 6.75 hp)

I don't see a grass catcher in my future. I'm all about mulching and it would be different if you could easily switch between mulching and bagging, but you can't, so I'll stick with the mulching setup. I don't think I could deal with a side bagger either - my lawns are on the small side and I'd think it would get in the way.

I just bought a Toro TimeMaster 30", so that solves a lot of my problems when they pop up. If the grass is too high or wet for the Ferris, I can pull the 30" off the trailer instead and get the job done nearly as fast - and I have the instant options of mulching, bagging, or side discharging.

The SR4 cuts through some pretty tall stuff although the taller the grass the more chance of clippings left behind.
I always thought the SR4 was a good mulching mower, but the TimeMaster is even better. I'm really happy I picked it up - it isn't a light, handy 21" mower and it's not a super-powerful walk behind, but it does cover the roles of either of them quite well.