The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-18-2012, 02:27 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zak406 View Post
did you get that from norwin rental???
Yes. During their open house.

I went for the state police seminar on safe trailering and to see if I could find a deal on anything. This is what I got.
Old 03-18-2012, 03:06 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Do you live in the area? Im 2 mins from norwin rental. Steve and Duwayne are both great guys who work down there they are one of the best dealers around. I buy most of my stuff from them!
Old 03-18-2012, 08:48 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zak406 View Post
Do you live in the area? Im 2 mins from norwin rental. Steve and Duwayne are both great guys who work down there they are one of the best dealers around. I buy most of my stuff from them!
No, I live 2 minutes away from the other location - Penn Hills Rental. LOL

As a matter of convenience, I have been dealing with Jeff at PH Rental, and while I knew they had a location near the Irwin exit, I had never been there. The week before the open house my wife wanted to head out that way, so I looked them up while we were in the area. I was impressed with the showroom and Duwayne gave me some info on the Ferris at that time and told me about the upcoming open house and special pricing.

The day before, I called to confirm that if I bought a unit at Norwin Rental, I could have it serviced at Penn Hills Rental - "Yes" was the answer.
This gave me more options in what I could purchase, as Norwin has both Exmark and Ferris units in stock, where PH Rental only has room for a few Toros. Besides being able to look at and touch a machine instead of picking one out of a book, I was able to save more by getting this one since it was reduced a bit more since it's not the newest model.

That was a lot of rambling just to say that my timing couldn't have been any better. Had we not stopped, I wouldn't have known about the open house and may not have gotten a mower this season.

I was initially planning to buy a used walk behind, but that's a bit tricky when you don't have two grand in your wallet. Private sellers aren't going to take payments and the only used units that PH Rental had was a 2005 Toro 36" belt drive fixed deck for $1,500, or a 33" WorldLawn demo from last season for $1,000. I wasn't wild about those two choices.
It was a winter with no snow/no income - buying used was just not going to happen.
0% interest for 3 years made buying new the more affordable option.

Duwayne and Steve both handled the sale. Steve with my initial questions regarding the operation of the Exmarks vs Ferris, and pricing, Duwayne handled the walk thru when I went back to pick it up, and yes, both guys were very helpful.
Old 03-18-2012, 09:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Ive been running the 48" DD, its an amazing slope machine! A bit slow with dragging the sulky, but still an amazing cutting machine! I wish mine had the height adjust decal like yours, guessing gets old quick.

The choice is yours...

Old 03-18-2012, 10:13 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screamin! View Post
Ive been running the 48" DD, its an amazing slope machine! A bit slow with dragging the sulky, but still an amazing cutting machine! I wish mine had the height adjust decal like yours, guessing gets old quick.
Well, THAT'S good to hear because in Pittsburgh there are slopes EVERYWHERE!
A 48" would be nice. Aside from lower cost, I stuck with the 36" for now because I don't have a lot of HUGE lawns and I should be able to get through most gates with this.

I'm happy to hear positive things, as I really didn't know if I "dun good" or not.

Do you use a mulch kit? I'm curious as to how well they work with that setup. I'm used to doing almost all mulching with my Toro, so I'm not really looking forward to the hassle of side discharge.

I spent some time today planning my new trailer setup, drilling and mounting eye bolts to the frame of my 5x8 trailer to strap down the Ferris securely.
My Toro 21" just fits behind it with about 5" between the two units. (with both facing forward) Luckily the Handle folds "straight up", otherwise I'd have to put the push mower in sideways.
Old 03-18-2012, 10:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

congrats!

i have the 32" Hydro Cut. i love my ferris!

Landscape Contractors
Louisiana Licensed: Landscape/Horticulturist, Commercial Ground Applicator, Arborist, Irrigation Contractor, Utility Arborist

Onsite Sandbagging, Palletized Sandbags & Bulk Totes, Emergency Response, Erosion & StormWater Barriers
Old 03-18-2012, 10:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakNut View Post
Well, THAT'S good to hear because in Pittsburgh there are slopes EVERYWHERE!
A 48" would be nice. Aside from lower cost, I stuck with the 36" for now because I don't have a lot of HUGE lawns and I should be able to get through most gates with this.

I'm happy to hear positive things, as I really didn't know if I "dun good" or not.

Do you use a mulch kit? I'm curious as to how well they work with that setup. I'm used to doing almost all mulching with my Toro, so I'm not really looking forward to the hassle of side discharge.

I spent some time today planning my new trailer setup, drilling and mounting eye bolts to the frame of my 5x8 trailer to strap down the Ferris securely.
My Toro 21" just fits behind it with about 5" between the two units. (with both facing forward) Luckily the Handle folds "straight up", otherwise I'd have to put the push mower in sideways.
I've never ran the mulch kit on the ferris, but I have on the exmark walkbehinds and they did fantastic! I just how incredibly well it hugs a slope, in fact it may be the best running slope machine I've ever used - hands down. I almost traded it in this spring in a new 48" grandstand but I'm not willing to sacrifice my slope machine - no way possible (plus the place only offered me 2k on trade and it a 2 year machine!!!!)
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-18-2012, 11:01 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Congrats! Really nice machine.
Old 03-18-2012, 11:02 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Hey. There aren't any pics on this page.

Can't have that.

Hour meter installed...

Old 03-18-2012, 11:11 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Come on man you gotta have more pics of it.