Click for Weather

Old 03-18-2012, 09:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Twigs Lawn Care website - Feedback Please

I would like some feedback on my website. www.twigslawncare.com

Thanks.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:52 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Obviously, looks great, so I'll leave you with some suggestions. Lotta content, so I'm just going to skim for what jumps out at me...

The banner phone number is overwhelmingly large, creating a pretty visible imbalance with your logo. I'd shrink it down 50% and definitely add your area code to it. I would also add your area code to the image's alt tag (for Search purposes) as people search for local services via city/zip/area code, and not how you have it shown. In looking through the site, I seem to only see the full phone number in your footer, but not in blog posts, contact page, etc. Always have your area code.

Your lawn-mowing page pricing grid would probably look better with the descriptive subtext not being center justified. ("We emphasize getting the job done for a low price.", etc). Also, for the drop-downs of "Basic Information", howabout "More Information". Basic means "base", meaning "just the cut". Anything beyond that would be "more" or "additional" (which prob won't fit).

I'd think about condensing the width of the contact page form to a fixed pixel width, as opposed to the 95% it's currently set to. For me to write something in the form, with my 1366x768 resolution screen, the comment lines would be 130 or so characters long.

Additional SEO tidbits:
- Meta Description is 18 characters longer than the high-end of 160 characters.
- There isn't an H1 tag on your home page. There are 4 on the mowing page, highlighting such things as "Lawn Mowing", "Quick", "Quality", and "Premium". One of those is worthy of an H1. The others need dropped down.
- comb through the pics and add useful alt tags where appropriate
- Add an XML site map for the search engines. This is really simple in Wordpress, just search for a plug-in.
- Same goes for a robots.txt file

Anything you want me to expand on, just holla.

Tony
Old 03-20-2012, 10:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Thank you very much.

Phone number size in the header reduced 50%. Please check it out. {I did not add an area code - Graphic designer did not layer the logo or number so adding that is a big project with my photoshop skills (maybe down the road when I have time)} I did add the area code for the alt tag. I also added area codes to all the other phone numbers.

"Basic Information" replaced with "More Information"
I tried left align with the descriptive subtext but I thought it look funny with everything else being centered. I would like to hear more opinions on this.

I'll have to look into the coding for the contact forum. Maybe if I add a side bar (like the blog page) to that page, it would condense that form enough. Do you think that would work?

----------------------------------------
SEO
----------------------------------------

Does the Meta Description being too long hurt SEO? I liked it because it cuts off and "..." which I would think encourages people to click and find out how the sentence ends.

How big is the H1 tag for SEO? I made the changes you suggested. Please check out my home page and service page and see if you like how I added H1 material. I'm really not sure what to do with H1, H2 ect... Any help wold be appreciated.

---------------------------------------------

I thought I had alt tags on most images. Anyhow, any info on how to do these would be helpful.

For example:
What counts? The URL, title, and alt. Do they each count SEO wise? Is one more important than the other?

Does adding my town, city, state help? If so, how do I include them? Just a space, coma, hyphen, or does not matter?

What I getting at is:
If I upload an image "Grass cutting"
Title it - "lawn Mowing"
Alt it - "lawn maintenance service Rochester, NY

Should I being doing some of the above or all of it?

---------------------------------------------------------

I thought the Yoast SEO plugin already did my XML sitemap? Am I not set up correctly?

What is my problem with the robots.txt file? I did not know I had to do something here.

--------------------------------

Thank you very much for taking the time to look at my site and help me out. The information I have gotten so far has been very helpful. I appreciate it very much.
Old 03-21-2012, 03:46 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Thank you very much.

Anytime.

Phone number size in the header reduced 50%.

Definitely better. Something looks off, spacially. Maybe see how it looks by bringing it down closer to the nav menu?

I'll have to look into the coding for the contact forum. Maybe if I add a side bar (like the blog page) to that page, it would condense that form enough. Do you think that would work?

Yep, that's one way of doing it.

Does the Meta Description being too long hurt SEO? I liked it because it cuts off and "..." which I would think encourages people to click and find out how the sentence ends.

I'm not following you on this one. We might be talking two different things. Link and location or code of what you're referring to?

How big is the H1 tag for SEO?

Huge. One of the very core elements for accurately indexing your relevant content. Think of them as the chapter and sub-chapter titles of a book.

I made the changes you suggested. Please check out my home page and service page and see if you like how I added H1 material. I'm really not sure what to do with H1, H2 ect... Any help wold be appreciated.

These are what you currently have H tagged on your home page:

<H1>: Lawn Mowing Landscaping Property Maintenance
<H2>: Ready for lawn care done your way?
<H3>: Recent Tweets
<H3>: Pop
<H3>: Posts
<H3>: Twigs Lawn Care
<H3>: Follow Us on
<H4>: Property and Grounds Maintenance
<H4>: Landscaping

Try to use them for keyword-useful headings as the search engines use them for indexing your content. My view is that Recent Tweets/Pop/Posts/Follow Us On are a bit wasted on an LCO site.

Here's a good primer on the use of the various H tags.
http://www.w3schools.com/html/html_headings.asp

and Google's Matt Cutts on their use:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIn5qJKU8VM

I thought I had alt tags on most images. Anyhow, any info on how to do these would be helpful.

You're fine. A further look shows those are mostly graphical elements and not your content.

For example:
What counts? The URL, title, and alt. Do they each count SEO wise? Is one more important than the other?

Yep, they count.

Does adding my town, city, state help? If so, how do I include them? Just a space, coma, hyphen, or does not matter?

Add them however is most natural, which is the comma. If you're referring to using them as various alt tags, be careful so as not to be stuffing your page with them in an unnatural way.

What I getting at is:
If I upload an image "Grass cutting"
Title it - "lawn Mowing"
Alt it - "lawn maintenance service Rochester, NY

I read and respond as I go, so now I see that's what you're referring to. I'd be a bit more natural for those. Ie, "lawn we service in Rochester", etc. A few of your example peppered around would be fine, just don't keep remixing the same basic verbiage.

I thought the Yoast SEO plugin already did my XML sitemap? Am I not set up correctly?

I'm not seeing sitemap.xml in your root directory. Is it publishing elsewhere?

What is my problem with the robots.txt file? I did not know I had to do something here.

Putting your sitemap.xml link is good practice as it assists the crawler robots in finding your site map.

Thank you very much for taking the time to look at my site and help me out. The information I have gotten so far has been very helpful. I appreciate it very much.

No problem. Glad I could be of help. It takes us a fair amount of time to do these, so I'm happy you're putting them to use.
Old 03-21-2012, 03:49 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Also, if you're a Firefox user, download the SEO Quake plug-in and run it on your pages. That's what many of us use to get great, fast snapshots of your pages' SEO health and recommendations of how to fix any problems it finds.
Old 03-22-2012, 07:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygreek View Post

I'm not seeing sitemap.xml in your root directory. Is it publishing elsewhere?

Putting your sitemap.xml link is good practice as it assists the crawler robots in finding your site map.
Under yoast seo I found the edit files section with the robots.txt file.

it had this:

User-agent: *
Crawl-delay: 30

I added the site map so it looks like this:

Sitemap: http://www.twigslawncare.com/sitemap_index.xml

User-agent: *
Crawl-delay: 30

I read that Yoast’s XML sitemap is called “sitemap_index.xml” rather than “sitemap.xml”

Is that change correct and do I need to do more to the robots.txt file?
Old 03-22-2012, 08:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygreek View Post

I'm not following you on this one. We might be talking two different things. Link and location or code of what you're referring to?
my meta description is too long. does that hurt seo?

My meta as seen by google "Twigs Lawn Care is Greece's premier lawn care professional. We let you decide how you want your lawn cut. We stand apart by offering several plans and ..."

I left it like that because it says what I wanted it to say even though it's not a complete last sentence, and the partical sentence might encourage someone to click.

Example: The man was arrested on suspicion of terrorism. He was plotting to ....click to read more - many people might click the read more link to find out how that sentence ended.

My thinking is; if my extra long meta dicription does not hurt SEO, I might leave it. I do not see the incomplete last sentence as being a negitive thing.

opinion?
Old 03-22-2012, 09:09 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Looks good, but I'm still not seeing the actual sitemap file.

Re: the description thing you mention with the "...", somehow it dawned on me what you meant this morning, while helping someone else with a similar issue.

No, the longer description won't kill you. It's not even a definite one helps you at all, but it's great for the engines to index so that people viewing the search results can view a synopsis of the page. Keep it as is and see how you do. I'm all about refining and tweaking to see what you find measurable. My inclination is that you'll not notice a difference, so rock on with your dot dot dots...

Cheers.
Old 03-22-2012, 09:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Thank you once again. I will have to do some more reading on the sitemap and robots thing. I'm still learning this stuff.

What are you doing to look for it. I have IE9. Should I see it in view source?
Old 03-22-2012, 10:10 PM
LawnSite Member

I know both google webmaster tools and webmaster center - bing has my sitemap_index.xml and the 5 site maps.

http://twigslawncare.com/page-sitemap.xml
http://twigslawncare.com/post-sitemap.xml
http://twigslawncare.com/portfolio-sitemap.xml
http://twigslawncare.com/category-sitemap.xml
http://twigslawncare.com/post_tag-sitemap.xml