Register free!

Old 03-19-2012, 12:45 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Creek bed erosion help?

so my idea is to stop the bank from eroding into the creek. what i plan on doing is using a silt fence type of material and nailing it firmly to the ground. (possibly anchoring it by burying a cinder block and wrapping re-bar around it. Then i am going to fill the silt fencing with dirt, flip it over, nail it again, and then fill the top with dirt and ground cover... Never dealt with any problem like this before so any experienced info would be greatly appreciated

Ive taken advantage of the world market and started a new business. We are building bombs in the shape of prayer blankets for our middle eastern customers. Business couldnt be better. The prophets are going through the roof!!
Old 03-19-2012, 09:43 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Skip the silt fence.

Install the open turfstone pavers. Then you can also plant a ground cover in the cells.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:28 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't think your idea will work alex bc if turf or vegitation isn't growing there now, it won't grow when you do that. Have you considered the easy option of done 1-1.5' chances of rip rap? Use that and some good rooted plantings and that will slow the erosion. If your allowed, throw some in the creek in lined intervals to slow the speed of the water.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-20-2012, 11:44 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Both great ideas however they won't work for this particular job. what i have done is drilled down 6' and inserted 4x4's every 5'. on top of that i am doing my silt fence technique however i am using a plant tarp (the one used for transporting plants on your truck) and anchoring it into every 4x4 in the ground using lag bolts. I will have a cable run in between every lag bolt and the tarp ends attached to the cable. Honestly I am very curious to see how this turns out. Ill snap some pictures tomorrow

Ive taken advantage of the world market and started a new business. We are building bombs in the shape of prayer blankets for our middle eastern customers. Business couldnt be better. The prophets are going through the roof!!
Old 03-21-2012, 12:44 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

What is the flow rate of the creek? Depth? Bankfull height? Is it subject to seasonal flooding? Is there any undercut erosion evident anywhere on the creek? Need answers!
Old 03-21-2012, 02:51 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Subscribe!

Youtube Channel... http://tinyurl.com/l9a3843
Old 03-21-2012, 10:57 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm a little confused. What's the purpose of the mud burrito?
Old 03-22-2012, 12:55 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Basically the "mud burrito" hahaa haha is to create a burm to stop the water from flowing over the edge of the bank also it will have an anchored 5' wall of dirt to stop wash out. Forgot to mention that I am supporting the wall based on code enforcement specs and property lines. Also the bank is being eroded by washout from up hill not from the creek, the creek is simply a formality and has already been supported by rip rap. 20x10 plant tarp purchased today but not installed, another long day dealing with morons....