Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-20-2012, 01:51 PM
LawnSite Member

I just bought a new Ferris IS 500z. it's a 52", and a compact frame. I looked at every mower on the planet. I'm in love with it.

For the price and hours on a IS3000, I would not jump, I would LEAP ON THAT DEAL. I paid more than twice that for a smaller ferris. Although mine is new, 1,000 hours would not bother me on that mower.
Old 03-24-2012, 03:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Stuff at Home depot is not junk. I use a lot of power equipment from there for my lawn biz for years and years and never had an issue. Toro mowers are great echo hand equipment is great. Each can get at home depot.

The only problem with home depot is that the local lawn mower shops don't like to service equipment bought from HD. They would rather lose the customer if they did not buy from them. Pretty stupid IMO.
Old 03-24-2012, 03:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildstarblazer View Post
Stuff at Home depot is not junk. I use a lot of power equipment from there for my lawn biz for years and years and never had an issue. Toro mowers are great echo hand equipment is great. Each can get at home depot.

The only problem with home depot is that the local lawn mower shops don't like to service equipment bought from HD. They would rather lose the customer if they did not buy from them. Pretty stupid IMO.
The brands of ZTR's the OP mentioned seeing at HD and Lowe's are junk. That's what the OP is talking about, and what I responded to. Not handhelds.

Why is it stupid to not want to deal with equipment bought somewhere else? People think they're geting a better deal at HD or Lowe's which is seldom true, because most quality brands like Echo and Husky have fairly closely set prices regardlless of where their products are sold. So, those same people go there instead of a dealership, which knocks the dealership out of any profit on the original sale. Then these same people have an issue and suddenly want instant service on their equipment from that same dealership they passed up in the first place. Why should that dealership go out of their way to help out now? Most of them have plenty of service work to do for the own customers, and their customers should come first. If you don't like that, then try buying your equipment from a dealer next time, and help support them instead of a big box type store.
Old 03-24-2012, 05:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

It's all relative. I buy a lot of supply from local dealers as well. If someone buys a piece of equipment from somewhere else and brings it to them to repair, they can still make money on repairs which most of their revenue comes from anyway. If they want to turn that away they are nuts.

I've used a Toro mower from HD for 3 seasons now. It has a 19 horse kohler on it. I have other mowers too.

Back in the late 80's the guy I worked for had a (commercial) Toro groundsmaster which weighed 3 times more and only had 18 horse kohler.

We used them things 8 hours a day till the wheels fell off.

So the way I look at it, the zero turn of today with a 19 horse kohler is better than the commercial groundsmaster was back then.

If you know what your doin you can use any mower.
Old 06-05-2012, 01:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Where is the Ferris that you were looking at (3000) located. Would love it if it was in my area.
Old 06-05-2012, 06:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Snapper pros are built by Geri's and the price of them new is really good
Posted via Mobile Device