Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-21-2012, 08:30 AM
LawnSite Member

Blades for this summer - Not Gator Mulching?

Starting out and the mower I have is a Dixie Chopper 44" and I was at the shop to buy some Gator Mulching blades. I informed the guy I was only working on the weekends so far and want the best blades for me. He said stick with my High Lift's and get them nice and sharp and save my money. During this time of year for another month, Mulching blades would be best but then the High Lift's should be used for the rest of the season.

I immediately thanked him for his honesty and not just trying to sell me something to make some money. I have been going there for a few months and doubt I will go anywhere else due to their honesty and verbal support when I have newbie questions. Very patient with me.

((( by the way, this is Pro Lawn Equipment in Tampa )))

So, should I stick to the High Lifts I have now or what? I sharpened my blades yesterday for the first time, weren't too bad. I only have 5 accounts right now and no not have a bag and obviously can not even offer that service so I am thinking the mulching blades would be better but I dont know. He said the High Lifts would be better since they pull the grass up and will not leave behind uncut grass with the Gator Mulching Blades during the summer when the grass starts growning a lot more.

FYI, I only cut every 2 weeks so far on the accounts I currently have.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:48 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

What and how are you cutting(discharging)?
Old 03-21-2012, 10:16 AM
LawnSite Member

I have the side discharge that i usually leave wide open, seen in the pic below. There is a make shift cable to allow this to be all the way open or angled down a lot, only maybe an inch open. When I use the lower one, I leave a trail of grass where it doesnt shoot out. I am sure you understand what I am talking about. Look at the cable and you will see a hook right below where it is now.

Old 03-21-2012, 11:16 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Tha

The problem with Gator Blades IMHO is the steel they use. They are made by a big stamping machine and uses a Softer Steel that doesn't hold a sharp edge very long. The Hi Lift blades should give you a cleaner cut for a long period of time. They should also be easier to sharpen.

You might do a search here at Lawnsite for DOUBLE BLADES ON A DIXIE CHOPPER. The screen name to look for is Eric Elm. It was Eric Elm RIP who's knowledge and wiliness to share information that got Lawnsite off the Ground in 1999.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 03-21-2012, 11:21 AM
LawnSite Member

If i were to put on some Gator Blades, could I close the side shoot and not leave the trail of grass?
Old 03-21-2012, 02:23 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

That isn't what gator blades are designed for. By closing the discharge chute you're trying to mulch those blades are made to mulch while discharging. Closing the chute will cause even a bigger mess as the clumps will get hung up on the teeth of the blades and leave clumps in the rows. I assume you're mowing mostly Bahia so I would stick with hi or medium lift blades depending on how sandy the conditions.
Old 03-21-2012, 02:50 PM
LawnSite Member

I was confused then. Thanks for the clarification. I assumed I would/could close the chute with mulching blades installed.

So you guys are saying no matter what blades are installed, I need to have this chute open, huh?

dumb question and comparison but why do push mowers have no discharge and no bag and looks fine when if i was to basically do that with my Dixie, there would be a mess?
Old 03-21-2012, 05:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha5150 View Post
I was confused then. Thanks for the clarification. I assumed I would/could close the chute with mulching blades installed.

So you guys are saying no matter what blades are installed, I need to have this chute open, huh?

dumb question and comparison but why do push mowers have no discharge and no bag and looks fine when if i was to basically do that with my Dixie, there would be a mess?
No, you dont need chute open, but if you run a full mulch kit-no gators. If you run just the plate, you can use gators. If you are cutting mainly bahia, I would get the g6 gators and side discharge. Don't mulch Bahia.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-21-2012, 06:20 PM
LawnSite Member

What type of grass are you cutting and at what height?
Old 03-21-2012, 06:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkownfl View Post
That isn't what gator blades are designed for. By closing the discharge chute you're trying to mulch those blades are made to mulch while discharging. Closing the chute will cause even a bigger mess as the clumps will get hung up on the teeth of the blades and leave clumps in the rows. I assume you're mowing mostly Bahia so I would stick with hi or medium lift blades depending on how sandy the conditions.
WRONG

Gator Blade were designed to mulch. I ran them on Walker mulching Decks and they mulched fine. They just didn't stay sharp very long. The Dixie Chopper DECK was designed to side Discharge. It doesn't matter what blade you use, it will wind row with OCDC closed.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.