Register free!

Old 03-21-2012, 08:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
WRONG

Gator Blade were designed to mulch. I ran them on Walker mulching Decks and they mulched fine. They just didn't stay sharp very long. The Dixie Chopper DECK was designed to side Discharge. It doesn't matter what blade you use, it will wind row with OCDC closed.

Ric they don't work on toro and wright machines if they are full kit. Plate, yes. Gators are designed mainly for discharge.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-21-2012, 08:36 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Everything mulches on a walker when you're going 4mph.
Old 03-22-2012, 08:15 AM
LawnSite Member

So basically guys, I am using High Lift and this is my best option and need to side discharge. With what I have on my mower, Gator blades will not do me much better on my weekend warrior schedule?
Old 03-22-2012, 11:14 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondlandscaping View Post
Ric they don't work on toro and wright machines if they are full kit. Plate, yes. Gators are designed mainly for discharge.Posted via Mobile Device
Chris

I would argue with you, But Who cares? Gator Blades Suck.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 03-22-2012, 12:55 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Chris

I would argue with you, But Who cares? Gator Blades Suck.

The OP. Just trying to point him in what I think is the right direction. I do agree though, for the price, they aren't great.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-22-2012, 12:57 PM
LawnSite Member

I know all blades aren't the same but in general if I get a "high lift" I should be fine? Or are there certain brands to stay away from?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-22-2012, 06:55 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I think you're way over thinking this man. If you're just mowing regular lawns I would just get some cheap heavy duty hi or medium lifts and call it a day. Sharpen them every week and be done.
Old 03-22-2012, 07:23 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkownfl View Post
I think you're way over thinking this man. If you're just mowing regular lawns I would just get some cheap heavy duty hi or medium lifts and call it a day. Sharpen them every week and be done.
Unknown

I am sure Glad you are not cutting my grass with once a week blade sharping. When I cut Grass many years ago I changed sharp Blades twice a day. Every Morning and every Lunch time.

I sure hope you are not trying to mow Bahia with week old Blades. But then if you only have 10 accounts, Once a week sharpening is OK I guess.

In Edit

Look at the Grass Blade after you cut with Week Old Blades. Instead of Cut it is RIPPED and the Grass Blades with be all torn instead of a clean cut. This is why the Turf has a white haze to it.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.

Last edited by Ric; 03-22-2012 at 07:28 PM.
Old 03-22-2012, 08:41 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Unknown

I am sure Glad you are not cutting my grass with once a week blade sharping. When I cut Grass many years ago I changed sharp Blades twice a day. Every Morning and every Lunch time.

I sure hope you are not trying to mow Bahia with week old Blades. But then if you only have 10 accounts, Once a week sharpening is OK I guess.

In Edit

Look at the Grass Blade after you cut with Week Old Blades. Instead of Cut it is RIPPED and the Grass Blades with be all torn instead of a clean cut. This is why the Turf has a white haze to it.

He's a weekend warrior cutting grass in a town like Arcadia. You really think he needs to change his blades twice a day?
Old 03-22-2012, 08:42 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha5150 View Post
I know all blades aren't the same but in general if I get a "high lift" I should be fine? Or are there certain brands to stay away from?
Posted via Mobile Device
5150 - I side discharge and use high lift blades on my Hustler with no issue. I am with Ric in that I personally think that Gator Blades are overrated. I tried using them for awhile and although there was a lot of hype about them...I really did not see the big deal.

I will also tell you one of the things that i think made the biggest difference to me. That was when I bought a dedicated blade sharpener. I did not go out and by one of the $800 machines that many talk about here. What I did was buy a cheap one I found on Ebay from a company called Bradley. This machine allows me to sharpen my blades quickly and effectively. I own enough blades that I sharpen them at the end of the week and just replace every morning. As Ric stated ...when you look down at the lawns I care for the blade at the top has a nice even cut like it has been cut with a pair of scissors. Believe it or not there are customers out there that actually know and care about this....and even more chemical companies who will notice that you blades are not damaging their hard work...this of course could lead to them referring you.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!