Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-21-2012, 02:52 PM
LawnSite Member

anyone running the gravely zt hd series?

i am now in the market to upgrade my small residential z that i have been using for a couple of years. It had done ok, just looking for something a little better and bigger. I only have about 8 yards that i would like to use it on so i am not like you guys, mowing 6-7 days a week. Yards are mainly flat and between .75-1 acre lots. I was looking at the 52" zt hd and my local dealer has them for $4899 plus tax. I have a $5k max i can spend.
I know they are not commercial grade, but they look pretty good to me. I also looked at proturns but out of my price range. I would like to get new so i can get the 3 yr financing.

any input on these if they hold up, problems, good or bad?
stihl br550 blower
Honda pole edger
mtd edger
6x10 open trailer
echo hc-150
honda walk behind
6x12 enclosed trailer
Old 03-21-2012, 05:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWILLIAMS64 View Post
i am now in the market to upgrade my small residential z that i have been using for a couple of years. It had done ok, just looking for something a little better and bigger. I only have about 8 yards that i would like to use it on so i am not like you guys, mowing 6-7 days a week. Yards are mainly flat and between .75-1 acre lots. I was looking at the 52" zt hd and my local dealer has them for $4899 plus tax. I have a $5k max i can spend.
I know they are not commercial grade, but they look pretty good to me. I also looked at proturns but out of my price range. I would like to get new so i can get the 3 yr financing.

any input on these if they hold up, problems, good or bad?

The ZT/HD's are good machines and are very capable, but if your business grows you might be wishing you had picked up a used commercial Z. If I was on a budget looking to buy a new Gravely I would look at the Compact pro. Its basically a compact commercial priced more reasonable, but the deck is a 42 or 44 inch max width. Snapper also makes a good machine in the ZT HD range for quite a bit less. It shares the same drivetrain, but I think the deck is only a 10 gauge thickness and isnt quite as beefy in other areas.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:17 PM
LawnSite Member

the hd zt is only 10g deck as well. I will check in the snapper
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-22-2012, 10:55 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWILLIAMS64 View Post
the hd zt is only 10g deck as well. I will check in the snapper
Posted via Mobile Device
Sorry I was misleading. The Compact pro has a 7 gauge deck.
Old 03-22-2012, 03:16 PM
LawnSite Member

i actually own a 52" that i bought last spring and im happy with it. any questions just ask
5x8 open trailer
61" Turf Tiger
52" Gravely ZT HD
36" Gravely WB
22" TORO Recycler
ECHO Hand held's
ECHO Saws
McLane Edger
ECHO PB 770
Red Max blower
Misc other stuff
Old 04-02-2012, 01:57 AM
LawnSite Member

i went and checked out the snapper and it was a little cheaper, but it also looked like it was a lot cheaper built. I also checked into snapper that was supposed to be better but it had 2800 hydro instead of 3100 and it looked cheaper built as well and it was $600 more.
I would love to get a proturn 152 but it is just out of my range for the amount of work i do. I just sold my old zero turn, a residential model, so i may go and get the 52hd gravely tomorrow, and get the hex striper to go with it.
stihl br550 blower
Honda pole edger
mtd edger
6x10 open trailer
echo hc-150
honda walk behind
6x12 enclosed trailer
Old 04-02-2012, 07:13 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

no matter how many yards you have. the better built the machine, the better off you are going to be. you may wish down the road you had bought more mower. With that being said that ZT HD is a great mower and probably a good fit for you. I sent someone to go buy one the other day. If I just cut my grass at home it is what I would have. It is a heavy duty residential/light duty commercial mower. A lot of the components are commercial components. It is just not a fully commercial machine. Your next step up to fully commercial unit would be the compact pro or the 100 series pro-turn.

Stay away from the Snapper. you are not even comparing apples to apples. It is not near the machine that the Gravely is. Everyone down here thinks snappers are a joke. NO ONE runs them.

2011 Gravely 252 26HP
2011 Gravely Pro Walk 36 Hydro 16HP
1 Stihl KM110 with hedge trimmer and edger
2 Stihl FS90 - Stihl HS45
Husky 435 16" - Stihl MS290 18"
Stihl BR600 - Husky BT150 - Stihl BG85
Generac 3100-PSI 2.8-GPM Pressure Washer
Jungle Jim 3TR and 2BH
82"x16' open trailer
2007 F150 FX2 5.4
Lots of Locks!

"It is not hard what we do. It's like anything else in life. Add will power, desire, and the ability to look for solutions...not excuses. Then you will succeed."
Old 04-02-2012, 09:07 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Everyone has a different opinion, and only you can decide what is right for you, and your business. That said, I'm going to put in my 2 cents worth. You say a Pro-Turn 152 is out of your price range. I'm not sure of the pricing on these units, but I'm guessing around $2,000 more than the ZT model? Since you have already told us you are going to purchase utilizing 3 year credit, the payments on the PT vs the ZT is probably what, $60 a month more?

I'm assuming you are planning on growing your business? Just adding one $30 account to your mowing schedule should give you enough added income to pay the additional payment. If it were I, I would go with the PT, beat the bushes and pick up a few additional accounts. There are many discussions on this forum about residential vs commercial equipment, and even though your current usage level probably won't stress a residential machine to the breaking point for a while, there is no doubt the commercial machine will give you a longer trouble free life. Good luck.
Old 04-02-2012, 09:48 AM
LawnSite Member

I am running a hd 60 and love it. I haven't had any trouble in the 2 seasons I have used it. I only have about 20 accts but one takes a while longer than most. I have used the 152 and the main difference is the seat. The 152 is a lot more comfortable with a larger operator area ad has more options for deck height. The 152 is an all around better machine as you know but when it comes down to it the price just isn't worth it for me.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-02-2012, 12:09 PM
LawnSite Member

i ended up getting the hd 52 and just picked it up. All i know is that it is so much better than my snapper was. I mowed my yard and father in laws yard in about an hour..usually around 2 hours. I only have that little bit of mowing so far but as of now, i love it! I have the hex striping kit on order so i will get that on as soon as it gets in and see how that does.
stihl br550 blower
Honda pole edger
mtd edger
6x10 open trailer
echo hc-150
honda walk behind
6x12 enclosed trailer