Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-31-2012, 02:34 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Bradley Lawn Sharp

Here is a video I made recently of me using my blade sharpener. It is a bradley blade sharpener I bought off of Ebay a little over a year ago or so for less than $200. That was the new price ....they are out there in the same price range now for those of you that may want something but have a hard time justifying paying $500 or more for a blade sharpener.
I can tell you that there may be blade sharpeners out there that deliver much more than this does....but for the money it is pretty darn nice to run the blades through and sharpen them and not have to worry if my blades are going to leave a clean cut or not.
I change blades daily so you can see with the edge left on this blade in the video combined with the force modern Zturns put out - the turf is getting treated very nicely.
Let me know if you have any questions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPRLL...nQtvANGeHl2Gdy

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 01-31-2012, 04:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

That looks like a decent alternative.

Doug
Old 01-31-2012, 04:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Those machines set at the perfect blade angle of 30 degrees? THose are quite a bit cheaper..
Old 01-31-2012, 04:35 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-31-2012, 07:11 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC View Post
Those machines set at the perfect blade angle of 30 degrees? THose are quite a bit cheaper..
I am not sure if they are set at anything. You can move the wheel up and down and the guide in and out so I guess you can create a slight variation in angle if you want. I can tell you that it holds its edge and does a great job of giving a clean cut on our SA which at times I cut as high as 5 1/4 inches. No torn blades - I have on occasion when we are running behind left a set on for the second day and the same results. I know changing the blades is most likely overkill but 15 minutes in the morning is nothing compared to the possibility of losing a account because the L & O company told the home owner you did not have sharp blades. Either way the edge holds up and is not knife sharp but sharp enough that it gives a clean cut.

In edit - yes they are much more affordable.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 01-31-2012, 07:17 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglee25 View Post
That looks like a decent alternative.

Doug
I thought so. I had my doubts after reading all the threads on MM etc. but I was not sure I wanted to dive that far in. I just wanted something to get me started. This machine did just that. As you can see from the wheel you get your monies worth as that is the original wheel. That is 25 blades ((3blade 1 machine 2 the other) 5 blades for 5 days = 25 blades worth going through each week for well over a year, and you can see how much of the wheel is there and how well the machine still works.

Not a bad alternative at all for those that want a entry level blade sharpener.

Old 01-31-2012, 08:44 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

On your video ot looked like it was only sharpening the edge of the blade, have you cut those blades down to a less steep angle where it sharpens the whole edge?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-31-2012, 09:55 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNGrassCutter View Post
On your video ot looked like it was only sharpening the edge of the blade, have you cut those blades down to a less steep angle where it sharpens the whole edge?
Posted via Mobile Device
That particular set of blades does not have a very steep angle to begin as it is thinner so it does not take as much off as a blade that is has a little bit more of a edge on it if that makes any sense. But it sharpens back enough that it maintains its edge especially on the first four inches to 5 inches which is all I am concerned about.

If you want to remove more of the blade at anytime you simply just adjust either the wheel or the guide and you will be able to do so.

Old 01-31-2012, 10:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

nice vid. i'm happy with my bradley as well. it does a great job to me and at a decent price.
Old 01-31-2012, 11:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I got a Oregon, similar unit,its Ok. I find myself using a 4 inch angle grinder inbetween using the Oregon.

Do you fellers really sharpen blades everyday?