Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-23-2012, 06:39 PM
LawnSite Member

Scag Turf Tiger randomly wont start 27hp Kaw

hey guys. I own a Scag Turf Tiger 61" with a 27HP Kawasaki motor. The model of the motor is FD750D. The mower has always ran and started perfect. Today i noticed there was a leaking oil pressure shut off switch which is next to the oil filter. It was dripping so i got a new one. I started the mower, pulled it out of the barn and shut it off and replaced the switch. I then started it back up and it ran great for about 1min and then shut off. I thought i was out of gas so i filled it up and tried to restart it. It cranks strong but wont start? initially i thought it might have to do with the oil pressure shut off switch i replaced, but i put the old one back on and still no start. So i ruled it to just be a coincidence. I then made sure i didn't bump and wires and they all looked fine. I checked for spark and i am getting strong spark at both plugs. I then took the air filer assembly off and sprayed some starting fluid into the carb and it started right up until the fluid burned then it died. So that told me it was not getting gas. I can hear the fuel pump run when i key it on. What i did notice tho is that if i take the fuel line off the carb and turn the key on it pumps fuel at a pulse. If i hook the hose back onto the carb and turn the key on and let the fuel pump run for a sec and shut it off and remove the fuel line from the carb it is completely dry like its not getting gas to the carb with the line connected. I made sure the fuel filter is not clogged and it was flowing fine. Does this mean the fuel pump isn't building enough pressure in the system to start it? Could the carb be clogged up not allowing it to suck in fuel? Im pretty mechanically inclined and i don't get it. any help would be great! Thanks
Old 03-23-2012, 07:05 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

There is a fuel shutoff solenoid on the carb body (faces to the front of the mower). If this failed it would cause no fuel to the carb bowl. Test it for pwr or ground (sorry don't remeber). Sometimes its just junk in it also. If you don't care if it has this part functioning then you can just cut the plunger off and it won't be a issue.

I would test that out before going much further.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-23-2012, 07:17 PM
LawnSite Member

okay is it in the front of the float bowl on the bottom of the carb? i saw some sort of connector i believe. I just find it weird that when i pull the fuel hose off the carb after keying it on and the pump running it is completely dry on the carb end of the hose almost like its either not making enough pressure or there is like a air bubble not letting fuel in? Would these be a result of what your suggesting?
Old 03-23-2012, 07:27 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

The carb is probably full of fuel....the float is doing its job and shutting off the fuel.
The main jet probably is clogged with a piece of trash....picked up when it ran low on fuel.
Time to clean the carb...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-23-2012, 07:34 PM
LawnSite Member

okay so if the float is full of fuel it would not allow any fuel to enter the carb?
Old 03-23-2012, 07:37 PM
LawnSite Member

also on the top of the carb there were two jets that didn't have anything covering them. I pulled them out and cleaned them. What were they and why were they not covered?
Old 03-23-2012, 08:01 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

sounds a little late in the game (after you pulled the jets) to find out what they're for and how to adjust them. I've forgot more about Kohler engines than most mechanics will ever know....Kawasaki is another story...
Its just a carb...they're probably air jets....(low idle) adjustments...1 to 2 turns out.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-23-2012, 08:44 PM
LawnSite Member

I believe they were just lightly seated. However that's not my problem I was just curious. So do you think my problem lies in the carb or is the fuel pump not making enough pressure to start the motor?
Old 03-23-2012, 08:54 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Pretty sure if you remove the carb bowl...you'll find the piece of trash that is causing the problem.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-23-2012, 09:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Okay I will take the carb off tomorrow morning and give it a good cleaning..so the fuel pump as long as its running it's working?