Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-11-2002, 12:25 AM
LawnSite Member

i need a lawnsite jury decision

i am doing fall clean-up weekly with it understood that i would be coming weekly until the leaves are done falling. i went there two weeks in a row for $60 a time and sent the bill. for the next two weeks it snows and rains, freezing the leaves to the ground. i finally get to finish this job for the season with 3 weeks worth of leaves- now am i entitled to charge $180 for the last cleanup. has anyone been in this situation before?
Old 12-11-2002, 12:45 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have never left myself in that situation. I may loose a bit of moey compaired to others on here. But I have a pricing system that works well for me and my customers understand it well.

I base my prices on a per-pass basis. I grade up. if I mow the account for $40, then when there are leaves down it goes to $60 or $80 depending on if I have to slow down or make double passes, depth of coverage, sq footage, if grass is being cut with it ect...ect...

So, in this instance, if weather delays me, I make up the fair difference next week. This process is very easy for the customer to understand and no one seems to mind the pricing as they understand it is only fair.

If I have to slow down, make 2 passes or slow and make 2, they understand it's only fair I should make more because I am doing more work, taking more time & putting more wear on my equipment.

Also, tightwads realize there is no way to escape my fees. If they want to put off the weekly's and wait for heavy coverage, they know I'm going to make what I would have if they had just let me come weekly and their lawn is going to look nicer with the weekly service anyways.

So in closing, if it take 3x the time then by all means charge 3x the rate. Just make it fair!
Old 12-11-2002, 12:47 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Have you talked to the customer about this? Try to explain the situation and see if they except the new amount. If they don't then it is up to you to negotiate price or lose the customer.

Soupy
Old 12-11-2002, 09:38 AM
LawnSite Member

well they are on vacation in their cali house and i would have to write them because i dont have their phone number. should i just send an explaination in the mail??
Old 12-11-2002, 05:31 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Skrats, This is a tough one. If you really like haveing these guys as customers and are willing to take the one time loss on the cleanup. I would just go ahead and do the job. Then send a note along with the bill. If they call and complain, you can negotiate then. But be willing to drop price or lose customer if they call complaining.

Soupy
Old 12-11-2002, 06:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by skrats
well they are on vacation in their cali house and i would have to write them because i dont have their phone number. should i just send an explaination in the mail??
Listen to yourself...and you are worried about charging them $180??? It's obvious these folks DON'T work for free. I'd just do what Soupy suggests. Send a bill ad an explaination. I bet you get a check no questions asked.

GOOD LUCK!