Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-11-2002, 12:28 AM
LawnSite Member

i need a lawnsite jury decision

i posted this in the business elements but i would like to have good response to this post.
i am doing fall clean-up weekly with it understood that i would be coming weekly until the leaves are done falling. i went there two weeks in a row for $60 a time and sent the bill. for the next two weeks it snows and rains, freezing the leaves to the ground. i finally get to finish this job for the season with 3 weeks worth of leaves- now am i entitled to charge $180 for the last cleanup. has anyone been in this situation before?
Old 12-11-2002, 12:38 AM
LawnSite Member

Honestly,
What I have done, If I know It's gonna take me more than 1 hour or so, I will figure it hourly with some cushion. If you figure it takes you 1 hr. @ 60 to do reg fall clean up , use this as your guide. It will probably not tke you 3 hrs to do the job ( I don't know though). But you do have to make it worth your time. Also, make sure you tell your client of the estimated cost before you start. Good luck

Schlep
Old 12-11-2002, 05:38 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree with above. I hav e 10 jobs left that got snowed under and I called or visited eveyone to see if they still want me to finish. You shouldn't have 2 more wks of leaf buildup with snow cover unless they have bradford pare trees whose leaves are hanging on. Make shure you check with them or you could be sending them a bill you have to fight to get paid.
Old 12-11-2002, 09:05 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

you are correct, but i can see why the customer is harping. or are they? are you making the invoice now?

you have already decided not to give a firm total price, so why not go hours? the $60 "a time"was the mistake. $180 for the last "time" is tough. did it take you three times as long? double?

we go hourly on all but the really small (less than a man hr) ones.

i would consider doubling the price. tripling? maybe if it took more than triple the time, and depending on the customer. but i would expect a call if the price is tripled.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 12-11-2002, 10:21 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

What I would suggest depends upon wether you wish to retain these people as happy customers.
If you do, stick to the original agreement and use this as a learning period. Weather is ALWAYS a factor in production planning, learn to price for it.
If you do not want to retain them, charge them for three weeks worth of clean up for the last trip. However, if you do, be prepared for the outcome, ie an aggravated customer, potential problems collecting, and negative comments to possible others about your business.
Old 12-11-2002, 11:34 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Charge per hour. This way no one gets screwed.
Old 12-11-2002, 11:46 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

we charge hourly for "non calcuable " labor. leaf cleanup, that cannot be accurately estimated falls under this category. charge hourly, or, on jobs u feel u can accuratetly estimate, charge a flat fee for the fall clean up. we quote that one like this: the fee for the fall cleanup is $$$, from oct 15th-around dec 1st we will visit your property for "mini cleanups" , then do a final, more detailed cleanup for our last visit. thats a tough one dude, i think u r entitled to be paid for the extra service time, but the customer will be hesitant. thats kind of like this scene: u cut the lawn weekly, for $30 a pop. u miss two weeks do to rain, whatever. on the third week , grass is a foot high, u should be paid for 3 weeks growth right? $90 sounds right to me. but get the client to agree...... this is why, it is very important to word your service agreements properly. charge a flat rate for a months worth of grasscutting, charge a flat rate for fall leaf cleanup, charge hourly if it cant be accurately estimated. good luck
Old 12-11-2002, 06:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by LAWNS AND MOWER
Charge per hour. This way no one gets screwed.
What more to add!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!