Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-09-2012, 09:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm sure you are right about the headache that would come with two different companies. I gleaned much of my information from your awesome website so id better take this advice too.
With a flat-rate of $69 up-to 1/4 acre many callers want me to rehearse the aeration promo price & what it includes. This tells me they are thinking that my price is pretty low. My brainstorm reminds me of Namebrands vs Storebrands. Some folks want to pay a little more for Cool-Whip whereas others are happy with the less expensive storebrand. It would definitely be a worthy test-market to run the ads within the same column. My current 2 most asked questions are; "Is this a good time to aerate"? and "What about my sprinkler heads"? Whereas after running the two ads $89 & $69 they would be: Why are you more"? and "why are you less"?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-09-2012, 10:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Here's a few of your answers adam.neusbaum

1st thanks for the nice comment about my website! I have a few more ideas on changing a few more things this winter...so I can't wait!

With Sprinkler heads: You can charge more. I mark them with flags and explain to the customer that I usually stay 1 to 2 feet away from the heads to prevent breaking their sprinkler. I want someone at their house to show me their system works before I aerate and then turn it on again after I'm done. I also have a form that I ask for the basic information: Name, Address, Phone Number, email (future specials), etc. But my form states that I am not responsible to any damage from aerating their yard, just like they are not responsible to any damage their yard might do to my machine. No one can get anyone in trouble. I've never had a problem with them signing or anyone saying their sprinkler system isn't working now. I usually hear the customer tell me that their sprinkler system hasn't worked for a few years. This way, it protects me from the customer who it looking to make money off of me. Saying their system worked before I aerated and oh by the way, it's $600.00 to fix it. Nice trick!

Call your local national lawn companies and see what they are charging. You will always have a hard time competing against the guy who rents an aerator for the weekend and comes into a neighborhood charging next to nothing....but they are far and few. Aeration is hard work, unless you have one of the new aeration machines (like me )!!!

Good time to aerate: End of August till end of November or early December. For me, when it starts to get frost....then I'm ready to put it away until next Spring.

Most people don't know what aeration is, and what type of service they will be receiving. Explain it's the best and you're able to provide an excellent service because you have a low overhead while providing top notch service!

If you have a website...you can always advertise go to my website to print off My Super Customer Coupon for even a lower aeration price!!!
2011 John Deere Pro Gator 2020a
2011 Lawn Solution Dual Hyrdo Aerator 24"
2011 Echo Handheld (trimmers to power pruners)
2007 Big Tex 4ft metal high side 7' x 12' Trailer
2012 PJ 7' x 16' Dump Trailer
2014 Vintage 8.5' x 24' Enclosed Trailer
2012 Ecolawn Applicator model 200 Compost Spreader
Old 08-10-2012, 08:47 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Got the word today that my aerator will be in MONDAY!

AS for the advice above, Rick you are spot on. I hadn't thought about lowlifes that might try to say you broke the system. I think I'll be printing me up a form as well this weekend. Even make it available on my website. Speaking of which, I made an aeration video last year that got me several jobs. Check it out. You can either go directly to my website www.theyardboy.net OR if you wanna see something REALLY cool, pick up your mobile phone and text the keyword THEYARDBOY to the number 90210. You'll receive a link to my digital business card with all my info on it including a short video.
Old 08-10-2012, 09:00 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfoxtrot9 View Post
I ordered my Exmark rider yesterday morning. I am pretty excited. Now I think I have a trailer size issue... Does it ever end?

A big thank you Corey!! My dealer was not that low, but when I told him about it, he went down to $8500. Good deal. Thanks my lawn bro'.

Glad I could help Happy aerating!
Old 08-10-2012, 09:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by corey4671 View Post
Got the word today that my aerator will be in MONDAY!

AS for the advice above, Rick you are spot on. I hadn't thought about lowlifes that might try to say you broke the system. I think I'll be printing me up a form as well this weekend. Even make it available on my website. Speaking of which, I made an aeration video last year that got me several jobs. Check it out. You can either go directly to my website www.theyardboy.net OR if you wanna see something REALLY cool, pick up your mobile phone and text the keyword THEYARDBOY to the number 90210. You'll receive a link to my digital business card with all my info on it including a short video.
Hi Corey,

How did you do the digital business card? Is there any fees on your side, or is it based on your phone plan? What other fees are there? I think it's pretty cool...never seen or heard of a digital business card....very neat!!!
Old 08-21-2012, 06:46 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Got the call Friday that my machine was in. Been too busy to go get it! Will be picking it up today. The dealer has inquired about hiring me to aerate their lawn.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:56 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfoxtrot9 View Post
Got the call Friday that my machine was in. Been too busy to go get it! Will be picking it up today. The dealer has inquired about hiring me to aerate their lawn.
Same here. Mine came in Friday but just can't stop long enough to go get it. Hope to go Saturday morning to get it. Dealer has it sitting out front under the covered porch and says people are asking a lot of questions about it. This is a RURAL area and my exmark dealer is primarily a case ih dealer so a bunch of old farmers coming in scratching their heads at this contraption. LOL
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-21-2012, 01:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Here's a few pictures of the chains/drive system of the ExMark Riding Aerator 30".
Attached Images

Old 08-21-2012, 01:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the pics. Now I understand why Turfco features "exterior chains". Seems like all that dirt will cause premature wear.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-21-2012, 02:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I've never really cleaned anything under neath the aerator except the tines....get the dirt out of them so the moisture won't rust the tines from dirt/plugs sitting in them.

It doesn't get really too dirty from pulling plugs. And I don't grease up the chains, since the grease will attract more dirt. There is a light film of grease from the factory on the chains....other wise I grease the grease zerts and keep up with general maintenance.

It's a great machine and once you get used to it....makes core aeration super easy!

Every time I aerate a yard.....everyone is really impressed with the job the machine does.