Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-25-2012, 07:54 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

He is not going to like it but what can u do i knew enough to know i had a big problem guess ill ne pulling and planting a tree soon. Should i spray the other trees just to make sure
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-25-2012, 10:44 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted putnam View Post
That is the worst case of canker I have ever seen.
This is an example of a canker on apple, which can be caused by a variety of organisms.

This is typically what you will see with a canker type disease, a sunken lesion.

What is shown in the pic by the OP is either hardened sap from wounds (insect or otherwise) or galls, likely the latter given the linked doc by TH.
Old 03-25-2012, 10:47 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaacutabove View Post
He is not going to like it but what can u do i knew enough to know i had a big problem guess ill ne pulling and planting a tree soon. Should i spray the other trees just to make sure
If you are certain it is black knot, then read the extension bulletin that was linked.
Old 03-25-2012, 11:09 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
This is an example of a canker on apple, which can be caused by a variety of organisms.

This is typically what you will see with a canker type disease, a sunken lesion.

What is shown in the pic by the OP is either hardened sap from wounds (insect or otherwise) or galls, likely the latter given the linked doc by TH.

As usual, you are correct, I knew it was gall not canker. I just typed it before I thought. It is gall of some sort of which I was not sure. Others are familiar with it. It is much more than "sap". It is scar tissue the tree has formed in an effort to isolate the problem.

As said before, a single prune at the base of the tree will solve the problem in that tree. I do recommend reading up on what can be done to prevent it on similar trees on that property.
Old 03-25-2012, 11:35 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

gall dag it.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showpost.php...9&postcount=16
Old 03-25-2012, 06:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

So its a cut it down
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-25-2012, 10:11 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaacutabove View Post
So its a cut it down
Posted via Mobile Device

IMO, it would either be that or a severe pruning depending on how extensive the damage is. If the cause is insect, you may very well eliminate it from the tree and with regular spraying, prevent future damage. If the cause is fungal, you may just be prolonging a slow, painful death. If you decide to go the pruning route, be sure to disinfect cutting equipment with a 5% solution of bleach/water after each cut. I have not investigated what you have there but heritage and hokie seemed sure it was this "black knot". Read up and see what the cause of this is and this along with consultation with your customer may help you make your decision. Either way, burn the remnants to help prevent spread of the problem. Good Luck
Old 04-02-2012, 07:48 PM
LawnSite Member

systemic fungicide through root zone injection and keep fertility up until tree dies which it will do!
Old 04-02-2012, 09:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks the tree was pulled and the other one was cut out by hand thanks for the help
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-01-2013, 05:34 PM
LawnSite Member

That's definitely black knot fungus.
You shouldn't need to take the whole tree, just cut off the infected areas and spray on some delta or echo (not the small engines!) fungicide. Take the limbs you cut off and bury them or burn them so you can prevent further spreading of the spores, and make sure to clean your tools! Don't need to be spreading that yourself...