Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-11-2002, 09:50 AM
LawnSite Member

What about Content?

My partner and I haven't discussed it yet, but I am sure we will have a website. The big question in my mind that I want your help on is - What should I have on the site? I did a search and I have read the recent post http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=37349 which was helpful.

So as far a content goes... I want more than just a site that says "Yep, I cut grass," which would be contrary to the professional image I want to depict. Any recommendations?

"Live as if your were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."
-Mahatma Gandhi
Old 12-11-2002, 09:55 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

all you services. applications, irrigation, plowing, hedge trimming etc. everything in addition to cutting.

also a contact page. email, phone, and for us we have a online quote form.

also a references page. quotes from clients.

before and after pics,

and lawn striping pics!

and on and on

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 12-11-2002, 12:29 PM
LawnSite Member

The content for a web site should be developed using the same criteria as any other marketing vehicle.

It should reinforce your total marketing message. And your marketing message should be built around identifying your business's unique selling point. You should understand why your existing customers selected you to begin with, why they stay with you and why you didn't get certain accounts.

Once you know why you succeed and why you fail, you can craft a program (a unique marketing position applied to all your marketing vehicles) that will allow your business to repeat the successes, avoid the failures and continue to grow.

Your web site is just one of those marketing vehicles.
Old 12-11-2002, 12:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

And if you want to see what others are doing, just click on the button that you see under the post immediately above. Members with websites will usually have this button displayed.

You can also go to <a href="http://www.lawnsite.com/memberlist.php?s=">The complete Member List</a> and scan that for the members who have that button in the "homepage" column.

Last edited by GroundKprs; 12-11-2002 at 12:57 PM.
Old 12-11-2002, 05:44 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Because yours is a business that usually remains relatively small (in terms of employees), "self-branding" might be a good avenue to follow as part of your marketing scheme.

Read this one - sort of relevant: http://www.inc.com/magazine/19991001/

In fact, click this: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&i...=Google+Search

There was a great article in Inc recently about this, but I can't find it. This is the trend of what customers want - they want to know everything they can. They want to know what you do, why you do it, how you do it, when you do it. They want to know you. Tell them.
Old 12-12-2002, 10:58 AM

bubble boy's list was very good. There is no particular content required. It is a tool that you should use to identify who you are, what you do, what makes you different, and how to get a hold of you. Put yourself in the shoes of your clients and prospects. What would you want to see. This will help you develop a blueprint for the content of your site.
Old 12-24-2002, 12:36 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Darb ,

What type of people do you want to attract with your web site? Professional ones that are busy with their work and have no time for the yard? others as well that are not just dead beats. If you use the web site for these types of people then you will build a much better clientel. Why? I am finding with all the research on marketing that the type of people that search our companies out on the web are these professional ones. A web site will make you stand out from all the other "We cut grass" types.

Web site info should include the list above. What do you like to see from a web site on a company you are willing to do business with? Model yours from theirs. Always make sure you have the email address, phone number and especially a contact name. This makes it more personal and not just an answering service or machine (which I think in todays markets is the same thing ).

Direct the info toward all ends or your markets, but maybe more so towards the computer user/web surfer. Plus make it easy to read and navigate. If it has too many bells and whistles then you will lose your target customer. If it is sweet and too the point then you give them the info you want them to have, and they have a pleasant experience from your site. Which they will remember.

Feel free to contact me. I have designed sites, graphics and desktop publishing in the past and could help.
Old 01-02-2003, 08:17 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

so would you guys say that my site meets most or all of this criteria? this has been a concern to me as I read of others who had websites that weren't all that great and it didn't help them one bit, but then hear of others who had nice sites that did get business from them. I also know that most customers are looking for convenience so I put the coupon and clien login on mine, and I'm thinking about PayPal to pay online for services as well. They then would have 3 payment methods: cash, check, credit card via PayPal. What do you think? Who has PayPal and does it work good, do the customers like it?
Thanks,
Eric
Old 01-12-2003, 09:14 PM
Suspended

We use pay pal alot with ebay and i don`t think that all costomers would like it they mite not have a credit card or a computer or just are computer eliterit and pay pal charges commission so u wont always get the money u want. just my opinion though
Old 01-15-2003, 01:47 AM
LawnSite Member

Brushhog,

The stite that you have seems ok... .I personnally would like to see a little more something to it.. not sure what ... It get the point across though....

I am building a new site now, but not related to lawn care for that site... that is the next site to try... but here is what I have started

http://www.beasleyllc.com

take a look... all created with very litle effort...

As far as paypal.. .they do take a lille off the top, but then again so do most cc companies.. 1.5 to maybe 2.5%, but not sure of the finally numbers.... There are a couple of places that I can look for setting up credit card orders online and also get a local cc machine to run the customers card at the job site... email me if anyone wants more imfo and I will look into it....

Pete....

Always trying to help..... .