Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-28-2012, 07:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by corey4671 View Post
Email marketing is a dinosaur. Want to see how to REALLY market in 2012? this is a service I began usioh late last month. Text theyardboy to 90210 on your mobile phone. I actually have that on the back of my trailer and people do just that when they read the sign. It sends them a text with all my contact info, a short video about me and a link to my business Facebook page. Once they opt in, I get alerts that they have requested my info AND I can now send out text blasts of specials I am running, short video of a job I just completed or even have a promotional giveaway.
How do you see email marketing as a dinosaur? I would think that email marketing would be much more effective than text message marketing.

Cons of text message marketing:
  1. Targeting the wrong people - The people I see that would opt in to text messages from you would be teenagers. Since when were teenagers our industry's target market?
  2. Many people have a cell phone, but no text messaging (especially senior citizens)
  3. People change phone numbers much more often than email addresses
  4. Text messages would get annoying real quick
  5. Not everyone has internet enabled phones so you can't link back to your website
  6. I don't see text messaging as a professional way to contact customers or potential customers

Pros of email marketing to customers:
  1. Almost EVERYONE has internet and an email account
  2. Target Market
  3. CHEAP!
  4. Much more customizable than text messages. Can match company branding.
  5. Can link to websites
  6. ANALYTICS! Can see exactly what people do in your email! Text messaging lacks that!
  7. Less annoying than text messages. People almost expect to see company newsletters when they login to check their email so it would come accross as less spamy.

I'm not saying text message marketing has no use. If you are in an industry where you are targeting teenagers and younger adults, that would be a great choice! For landscaspers, I think email marketing is a better choice than text message marketing!

Old 03-28-2012, 07:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygreek View Post
Blindly emailing is a dinosaur. Well-implemented email marketing to a list you have built is by no means.
DEAD ON Tony!

Old 03-28-2012, 07:24 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I receive emails everyday from different retailers. Couldn't tell you anything about them. Delete. Actually my target customer is younger people. Not looking for senior citizens. Past experience is that they are a pita. I'm looking for the young professional single woman, the soccer mom and the guy who doesn't have time between work and golf. In my market area, those types are plentiful.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-28-2012, 07:25 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

By the way, I have 74 subscribers to my text campaign and they have the option to unsubscribe themselves at any time
Posted via Mobile Device