Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-26-2013, 04:22 PM
LawnSite Member

discharge chute

Are any Of You Using The aftermarket Discharge Chutes Similar To What Comes On GrassHoppers. I Have Toro ZMaster and Have Had The Stock Chute removed since shortly After I Bought It. Looking To Get One Like I mentioned. Pro And Con Info On Different Kinds Would be Appreciated Before I Purchase Something.
Old 07-26-2013, 04:38 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by realdeal View Post
Are any Of You Using The aftermarket Discharge Chutes Similar To What Comes On GrassHoppers. I Have Toro ZMaster and Have Had The Stock Chute removed since shortly After I Bought It. Looking To Get One Like I mentioned. Pro And Con Info On Different Kinds Would be Appreciated Before I Purchase Something.
Are you talking about an OCDC? Which one comes on the Grasshopper? I'm using a Exmark Lazer Z with The Director OCDC and a Dixie Chopper Classic with the standard Dixie Chopper OCDC

I won't run a mower without an OCDC. Tried mulching was way to slow. Will not bag. They do what their supposed to, keep the clippings where you want them.
Old 07-26-2013, 04:59 PM
LawnSite Member

sorry. Yes Dixie Chopper. I Have A Couple Of Accounts Where Grass Is Being blown And sticking Against houses No Matter What Direction I'm facing Because They Are So Close Together. I'm Also Wanting To Avoid grass From Being Thrown In Beds When Changing Direction Won't Help.
Old 07-26-2013, 05:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

i don't run any discharge chute. if it gets on the side of a house i blow it off with the blower while i'm walking around the house to blow the back porch/deck off anyways.
Old 07-26-2013, 06:12 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by realdeal View Post
sorry. Yes Dixie Chopper. I Have A Couple Of Accounts Where Grass Is Being blown And sticking Against houses No Matter What Direction I'm facing Because They Are So Close Together. I'm Also Wanting To Avoid grass From Being Thrown In Beds When Changing Direction Won't Help.
You'll definitely find an OCDC will help or eliminate that. Honestly one of the best things I've ever added to any of our mowers. Having to blow off houses and clippings out of beds is a time waster and time = $.
Old 07-27-2013, 02:07 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I find OCDC's too restrictive in terms of getting rid of unwanted grass, most of my lawns are so thick and tall I need all the discharge I can get so I simply removed the spring that forces the chute downward, now most of the time the chute rests atop the deck cover and only when I need it (so as to keep discharge controlled) do I flip it down, having the chute in the down position helps keep clippings from flying far but most often I just let it blow.

There is a minor learning curve involved, certain bumps like to 'flip' a spring-less chute, however with little practice this issue has become mostly non-existent, the Ztr is an exception... On my Z the chute simply won't stay up enough so I removed it entirely but since I only use the Z on large properties, grass blow against buildings is of little issue.

Once again reducing rpm's in tight areas helps keep the grass spraying confined.

The few properties where I have had grass spray against buildings I have learned where the water hose is, a quick few minutes of spraying the siding cleans it all right off, obviously keeping grass spray onto buildings to a minimum remains key. For really stubborn stains, a rag in addition to water works wonders.

Last edited by herler; 07-27-2013 at 02:17 PM.
Old 07-27-2013, 03:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

One word " Power Chute" Just my two cents.

Norm is the Man!
Old 07-27-2013, 04:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Do you mean something like this?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/GRASS-GUARD-...item27d2db6d89
Old 07-27-2013, 04:19 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg78 View Post
You'll definitely find an OCDC will help or eliminate that. Honestly one of the best things I've ever added to any of our mowers. Having to blow off houses and clippings out of beds is a time waster and time = $.
You got that right they are best thing. I ran one since 1995.
I do a lot housing complex and I run my chutes closed 50% of time save me from having to blow off back patios. One complex I run the chute closed all the time, since it all tight areas no place to blow grass out.

I got new complex this year and the owner was impress how clean everything was before I started up the blowers.

He said last LCO had clean grass off cars they blew it everywhere
Old 07-27-2013, 04:55 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyder's Lawn Inc View Post
You got that right they are best thing. I ran one since 1995.
I do a lot housing complex and I run my chutes closed 50% of time save me from having to blow off back patios. One complex I run the chute closed all the time, since it all tight areas no place to blow grass out.

I got new complex this year and the owner was impress how clean everything was before I started up the blowers.

He said last LCO had clean grass off cars they blew it everywhere
Same here. Couple really tight areas and some complexes like you stated. It's amazing the amount of clean-up time they save. I shake my head when I see all the clippings other guys are blowing into streets, driveways, patios, pools, landscape beds and walkways.

The first one I ever used I made myself for my Exmark Lazer and it was like revelation the first time I used it. Now all my mowers have one.