Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-26-2012, 02:16 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Kawasaki FX921 VS Kohler EFI

Looking for help on pros and cons of 31 hp Kawasaki VS 29 Kohler EFI.

I know the Kohler should give better gas mileage but I have a earlier model 28 EFI (bought in 2008) that just seems pretty gutless. Have they improved in torque/horsepower?

I think the Kawasaki will have the power I need and hopefully last as long or longer but be thirsty.
Old 03-26-2012, 05:01 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I think on any mower that DOESN'T have 21cc pumps (SuperZ's) the 29 EFI is fine.

I'll assume your looking at the X-One?

Just wish they'd option up the X-One a little bit.

16cc pumps, a little more speed, bigger fuel tanks, cooling fan(s), good seats, etc.
2006 Hustler SuperZ 28EFI 60" Power Chute Design OCDC SOLD!
Perma-green Magnum
1996 48" SCAG Belt WB 14hp Kawasaki Classic Deck
Echo 2 strokes PB-755 & SRM 280
Eastman WM20H 20" Commercial Push mower (NEW for 2013)
Commercial Lawnboy trim mower 3-FOR SALE!http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=424203
Solo since 1980
Old 03-26-2012, 08:20 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

The Kohler Efi is tried and true Often going well over 2000 hrs. The Kawi is known for coil issues may be fixed by now but if it were me the Kohler would be my choice.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-26-2012, 08:33 AM
LawnSite Member

I just bought a new x series and I went with the EFI. I was in the same situation as you. After research and talking to the dealer I decided to go with the Kohler, which should be in today.
Old 03-26-2012, 08:51 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

The 29 EFI doesn't show much more power on paper, but they went to 747cc's from the 725cc's of the 28 EFI that we have.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-26-2012, 11:37 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

That Kawi 31 HP you are loking at (FX921) was the 34 HP engine before they went to the certified ratings. The Kohler won't be rated at 29 anymore either once they get all their engines switched over to the new J1995 rating.

All the new Deere machines with a Kohler engine have the new rating system used on them (J1995 vs older J1940), and they have dropped HP numbers on them from where they were rated last year, just like the Kawi's did/are.

I'm only guessing here, but the 29 EFI will probably see a new number of around 25.5 HP. The 27 EFI went to 24.5 HP.

The point here is that you are looking at two different class engines. The old Kawi 31 (FX850) is now rated at 27 HP, while the old Kawi 34 HP (FX921) is now rated at 31 HP.
Old 03-26-2012, 02:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLS View Post
I think on any mower that DOESN'T have 21cc pumps (SuperZ's) the 29 EFI is fine.

I'll assume your looking at the X-One?

Just wish they'd option up the X-One a little bit.

16cc pumps, a little more speed, bigger fuel tanks, cooling fan(s), good seats, etc.
Not to throw a wrench in the works but I'm afraid it may be on the Gravely Pro Turn 400. Which has all the item's you listed but the cooling fan (unless your counting the fans on the pumps). I hope to demo one next month. The only other option I would consider would be my first diesel. Fuel may be close since off road is about the same as mid grade. I've never run one. I wonder if the hp rating will be changing on those as well.
Old 03-27-2012, 04:53 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Diesel is going to be heavy and longer. Not to mention not as powerful.

Gravely's always interested me. Don't have a nearby dealer.
2006 Hustler SuperZ 28EFI 60" Power Chute Design OCDC SOLD!
Perma-green Magnum
1996 48" SCAG Belt WB 14hp Kawasaki Classic Deck
Echo 2 strokes PB-755 & SRM 280
Eastman WM20H 20" Commercial Push mower (NEW for 2013)
Commercial Lawnboy trim mower 3-FOR SALE!http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=424203
Solo since 1980
Old 03-27-2012, 12:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Called the first two on the dealer locator, ACE hardware stores, which already got a silent groan out of me. 45 min. and 1.75 hrs away. They didn't know what a Gravely was and digging deeper, weren't interested enough to find out. Found another Dealer 1.75 away. They, like all my dealers out here, would never have a demo but could order the machine for me if I wanted one. Then called my local Ace even though wasn't listed. They happen to be my echo dealer and other than restricted hrs. and high prices the do as well as most dealers in the area. Got the same response, then got a hold of the manager and he's went nuts. Good guy. Since they are an Ariens dealer he said no problem. Never had Gravely in the store up to that point. Said he'd have to sign up and get back to me. Thought that would be the end of it but he called me back three days later with quite a bit of info. In addition he contacted the rep., which contacted me directly. The rep was pulling a trailer with a 54" 200 or something that I could have seen tomorrow, but since we still haven't any grass I postponed checking it out till he'd be back through in three weeks or so. Both guys have impressed me with quick return answers. The rep covers an insane amount of territory. Something like CA, WA, ID, MT, HI, and like two other states! And our states a BIG out here.

TLS I think you may have questioned the deck design in one of the threads and I tended to agree. Small discharge shoot. After some questions this is one of the reps responses on the deck.

The Gravely deck is a deep drawn deck, this is for several reasons.

1. To facilitate the use of our cast iron spindle which is very heavy duty

2. Then to allow a larger air chamber under the deck

3. Because of how we baffle the deck, we have no air blow out loss.

4. In the end, the 18,000 FPM blade speed, and all the above ensure that the grass gets out of the deck with no problem.

We use a tube steel frame, so the machine is as easy to fix as you can find. In addition, we have the only “adjust from the seat” fine tuning tracking adjustment, very easy.

We do use heavier framing due to the fact that this machine, due to smooth ride capability, will more likely be used at higher speeds. So, we do have a 3 year warranty and Limited Lifetime frame and deck shell warranty. And the light usually mounts to right and left of seat.

All good questions.

The striping kit can be left on all the time. The Hitch kit will take a 2” ball, the bagger comes off real easy (a lever takes tension off belt, then walk belt off, then lift off blower fan.

Fred Joyner

Ariens Sales Partner

asnsales@comcast.net

Cell: 503-702-5914

Looks like I can get a 460 with my engine choice and every option available (including bagger) for the same money, when using the fleet discount program, as SZ would cost with out any options. Seems like everyone is using Sheffield so the same financing is available.

Still not sure what to do. Hope the demo happens and helps in the decision. I'm down to Hustler or Gravely. Husqvarna is out of the running I believe do to build, small tanks, lower speed.
Old 03-27-2012, 12:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

mtmower-

I don't know about TLS saying it anywhere, but I've said it several times on this site- I think Gravely's are darn nice machines, but I don't think that small opening is gonna do well for discharging.

Of course the rep is gonna say all that stuff. It's his job. It still doesn't make it accurate though. For one, Deere has had easy, from the seat tracking adjustments for quite some time now.

For another, that small discharge opening is gonna be about like the Exmark, great in dry, normal cnditions, but not so much in wet, or lush/long conditions. There's simply not enough square inches of opening for clean even discharge in wet/lush conditions.

All of the major brands have deep decks. Nothing new there either. However, the triangulated shape of the deck that comes on the 400 series, in combination with the small discharge opening, makes me think that it will not contribute to great discharge in adverse conditions either.