Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-26-2012, 02:39 PM
LawnSite Member

Forsythia blooming early in the NE.

The forsythia is now in full bloom,at least 3 weeks early in Ma. The temps are now going back to the 20s to 40s for at least the next week plus. Is it still appropriate to apply crabgrass pre emergent even though the soil temps will probably drop closer to March normals? Thanks.
Old 03-26-2012, 05:35 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Been warm here too. Lots of guys have been out pushing the apps. Got news for them, the air is warm but the soil temp is still low. We are going with our original schedule and holding off. Most product has some post emergent properties anyways. Lots of damage coming tonight.
Old 03-26-2012, 05:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelracer View Post
Been warm here too. Lots of guys have been out pushing the apps. Got news for them, the air is warm but the soil temp is still low. We are going with our original schedule and holding off. Most product has some post emergent properties anyways. Lots of damage coming tonight.
It's gonna be below freezing tonight and tomorrow night,don't think I'm gonna apply anything for a couple of weeks
Old 03-26-2012, 07:16 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Our manufacture has a sheet of magic numbers. I'm not sure where they get it, but the magic day for us is still 2 weeks away according to the sheet. I assume this is taking soil temp averages for the area and creating something with that info. We spoke the other day and they agreed that waiting was best. I also keep an eye on the 2 other local guys that almost mirror what we do and they are still holding out as well. The only guys I've seen out have been national and volume driven companies. Saw a few guys cutting grass this week also. There is some sporatic growth out there in full sun locations, but 70% of the turf out there is still dormant or just waking up.
Old 03-26-2012, 07:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The ground is warm enough for KBG, Per. Rye, and CR Fescue to germinate, in the shady grounds is Central Wisconsin... What has to happen Next, to get the CG to germinate?... Most of the broadleafs have already popped, especially on the bare ground...