Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-26-2012, 08:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

woke up to a call from the fire battalion chief

This what I found Sunday 9am when I got to my warehouse. Total loss. It appears it started in the battery compartment. I did not have coverage for the trailer but the building and equipment are covered. Check your policies everyone and make sure you are covered. Trailers generally need separate coverage and so does your tools. This was a freak thing.

Fortunately the fire was contained in the trailer other than smoke damage. The fire department was changing shifts and saw the black smoke coming out the turret vent a couple blocks away and that saved the building. The truck attached was unharmed, crazy!

Estimate is around 25k for trailer and equipment and don't know about the damage to the building, ie: cut 3 holes in the roof and 1 in roll up door 4' x 4', and bashed the walk through door in, and smoke damage.
Attached Images

Tommy Herren, CLVLT #1169
Member of AOLP, CA chapter
www.thelightinggeek.com

Battling the Forces of Darkness Everywhere

Last edited by The Lighting Geek; 03-26-2012 at 08:32 PM.
Old 03-26-2012, 08:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Glad the damage was minimal.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-26-2012, 10:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Tommy you have to worst luck. If something isnt getting stolen one day your trailer is catching on fire the next.

Good luck rebuilding and replacing
Old 03-26-2012, 11:56 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I'm sorry Tommy, that sucks! What a freak thing. Wonder what was the fire instigator in the trailer.

Tim Ryan
Lite4 Outdoor Lighting
www.lite-4.com
Old 03-27-2012, 10:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Matt is right, you've had the worst luck. On the bright side, the trailer contained the fire from the structure. It's a lot cheaper to replace a trailer than a warehouse.
Old 03-30-2012, 08:40 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Very sorry for your loss. I hope insurance is there for you to help you be able to re build it bigger, better, stronger, faster. The only joy I have ever had through tragedy is the thought of building new and making it better.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:31 PM
LawnSite Member

Man that's a bummer and a freaky thing to happen... from a battery???

A note about insurance to all you guys.... because the nature of our businesses is that we take our 'show on the road' , we take our tools and equipment to the clients property ( as opposed to having a store and people come to us)... it is imperative that you all check on getting Inland Marine coverage on your vehicle contents, tools and equipment. This coverage will bail your ass out in cases where your standard shop/garage - contents coverages will not cover you.

Back in 2010 here in Rhode Island, we had the big flood of the century. My shop and vehicles for both of my businesses got 30 inches of water in them. It was almost a total loss. My regular business policies were of no use because a natural disaster like a over flowing river, is not covered. The saving grace for me were my inland marine policies which covered the contents of my truck, my truck, my trailer and the equipment /inventory that was flooded in my shop.

Tommy... suggestion... your next trailer, besides video cams to catch the thieves, might I suggest a fire suppression system ;-)
Old 04-08-2012, 12:52 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I think it is important to note that most regular business policies do not cover you for the most common things like fire, flood, etc. You should have an 'inland marine' policy or business owners policy in addition to your general liability policy. Even then many do not cover your vehicles, trailers, or anything registered for the road. The whole point of my original post was to bring to light what LLC RI said basically: check your coverages with your broker and make sure your hiny is covered.
Tommy Herren, CLVLT #1169
Member of AOLP, CA chapter
www.thelightinggeek.com

Battling the Forces of Darkness Everywhere
Old 04-28-2012, 10:03 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

a few years ago one of my backhoes caught fire at 3am, sitting on my low bed trailer.

backhoe and trailer were a total loss, scorched the dump truck parked along side of the semi.

same situation, electrical/battery caused the fire. we now install main disconnects on all equipment.

hope all comes together well for you
ironic, the cause was low voltage
Old 04-28-2012, 10:20 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a friend that lost his shop to a battery charger. Inside was- 3 55' chevy's 1 65' Corvette, a bass boat and 6 over hot rods that wasn't his. He also had about 10 engine's sitting on stands. All gone. 1 was a 1968 428SCJ. I almost cried when we loaded the 428 in the scrape bin. Total loss was at almost half a million. All he had was home owner's which covered almost nothing. Only one person tried to sue him. So, I feel for you.
All Echo hand helds
<- That's how I feel at the end of the day.