Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-26-2012, 08:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote Help please

Ok so I have the opportunity to gain 28 commercial properties to my business, The problem i am facing is that they are within a 150 mile radius from my door of my house and back home. they range in different sizes and what not ranging from extremely small would take 5 min to mow trim and blow off to large would take 20 min with my 72" exmark. all they want is cut trim and blow off. but with city traffic and travel time i am having a hard getting them done efficiently and pricing. i don't want to be to low and than again i do not want to be too high i could use the extra business. Is there a good rule of thumb to use when pricing and taking into consideration of gas, time, wages to pay my guys, taxes and depreciation of my truck and equipment and GAS!. I have heard 35-50 would be good per yard. it covers everything and would be worth my time any more advice would be much appreciated. thanks in advance
Old 03-27-2012, 01:34 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

can you service them on weekends when traffic is lighter?
Old 03-27-2012, 01:40 PM
LawnSite Member

I guess I could cut don't know if I could get them done in time they are so far spread out I will spend more time driving than cutting. Any advice on rates or how to go about it?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-27-2012, 01:58 PM
LawnSite Member

I guess I could cut don't know if I could get them done in time they are so far spread out I will spend more time driving than cutting. Any advice on rates or how to go about it?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-27-2012, 04:19 PM
LawnSite Member

just out of left field but I wonder if you could partner with another company for those who are further out? You'd want to see their work since it's a reflection of you but just a thought.
Old 03-27-2012, 04:24 PM
LawnSite Member

I thought of that but still what would be a good rule of thumb to use for pricing considering all the variables
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-27-2012, 06:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Frankly, I believe you will lose money on this if you win the contracts. The work is too far away. Commercial properties all wants a low ball bid.

If you subcontract, you will make no money. If the other company screws up, you get the blame. Also, check it out...if I subcontract, my company is still the prime contractor and as such it is my companies workers compensation that covers the subcontractors employees while they are on my sites.

I was approached again by the transit authority here and this year they even said in their specs that the lowest bid will win the contract.

The Safeway head office contacted me again with dozens of sites, but they want the lowball bid.

I'm just not even going to bother with those sorts of contracts any-more. I spend 60 hours and alot more, doing up estimates and then they never call back.

I know we all want to have lots of business and make money, but some-times you just have to move on.

Last edited by Dr.NewEarth; 03-27-2012 at 06:12 PM. Reason: GO CANUCKS GO