Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-27-2012, 05:25 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Lowballing

I looked @ a lawn last week, 60,000 sq. ft. I mailed out an estimate, i get a call telling me im way high. I guess there are lco's in this area working for a penny per sq.ft. Good luck with that gentlemen!!
Old 03-27-2012, 09:06 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

No Scott,

You are way to expensive!
Just messin with ya pal,
I've run into the same thing on occasion lately.

It all floats to the surface eventually!

Good luck this year.

Bob
Old 03-27-2012, 02:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You cannot win by trying to be the cheapest. Put on your salesman's hat and explain why you will give better results. And better service, and friendlier people on the phone. Hopefully you speak English and have read the labels on the products you plan to use.
If everybody went for the cheapest...Mercedes Benz would have been out of business long ago. Your job is to deliver better results and service --and to explain to the customer--how it is better.

If you have a good sales flyer or brochure. Be sure to include a paragraph based on fear. Psychologically, fear of loss is even greater than the possibility of gain and greed. Mention how grub damage may need resoding. How crabgrass can spread fast. How weeds can destroy a lawn. How the value of their property will decline if the lawn is bad.
Old 03-27-2012, 03:55 PM
LawnSite Member

ha, had a customer call yesterday, lawn is about 9,500 square feet, my price was about 55-60. said another company quoted 24 per app. asked if i could match it i laughed and said material costs alone the company cant do that but ill wait for them to do a crap job and get a call back.. i have been fertilizing his lawn for 4 years and if i had to guess it was TGCL that gave him that quote.
Old 03-27-2012, 07:19 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

we all have them, had a customer drop me, was getting 145 per app, the big boys felt they could do it for 59.95. I was glad to see her go, cant wait for her to call back and tell her no thanks.....5 step program and I was on her property 10-12 times per year for the last 6 years.....
Old 03-28-2012, 05:49 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrims' Pride View Post
No Scott,

You are way to expensive!
Just messin with ya pal,
I've run into the same thing on occasion lately.

It all floats to the surface eventually!

Good luck this year.

Bob
Good luck to you as well bob. As hahn solo would say, im getting a bad feeling about this (season). I hope im dead wrong, but its looking like the weather is setting up for a hot dry summer?
Old 03-28-2012, 06:33 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawn king View Post
I hope im dead wrong, but its looking like the weather is setting up for a hot dry summer?
It sure is setting up that way, only 1/2 inch of rain in March so far when we should have 3 1/2....not a good start after no snowfall.

I have been on a few lawns that normally are a swamp this time of year and kicked up dust.....
Old 03-28-2012, 08:04 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I get this all the time
clowns giving away 4 free apps
now they tell ya its 25 an app rather then 50 and app to suck you in but then they show up and charge you for 3apps
what fun to try to tell the not so fast people this trick.
Old 03-28-2012, 10:55 AM
LawnSite Member

Happens everywhere. We face the same problems in our shore resort area. The people that have the properties do not live there year round and only care what it looks like when the come down for the holidays or weekends. A lot of times these lawns are not taken care of until the "CHEPO's" (the company) knows they are coming and then they spend a good day getting it ready so it looks good. We have started using a new product (mainly because of the fertilizer laws in NJ) to try and the initial tests are good and it is only costing us about 30 cents per 1000 sq/ft Now I know we were spending about $1.15 per 1,000 sq/ft and this SumaGreen Turf product should be a big help.

This might help us compete with the low ballers to prevent them form taking or trying to take future or existing clients.
You are not going to stop them and it is even worse where I am at as College kids come down go to Home Depot buy a mower and think they can make a few bucks while down at the beach for the summer. It SUCKS!!! Once summer is over, the lawn looks horrible and then people come to me for a GOOD price and try to help them get lawn back to shape. Then they get pissed when I give them a quote for what it WILL cost to get better. Do you believe they have the nerve of telling me that "Well those boys did it cheaper!" NO KIDDING AND LOOK AT YOUR LAWN!
Sometimes you just have to bit your tongue
Old 03-30-2012, 05:42 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

We opened for business in the spring of 1973! Our price @ that time was 2 cents per square feet. 39 years later there are companys working for half of what we charged 4 decades ago? Granted, lawn king is the most expensive lawn care conpany south of boston, but still a penny a foot, insane!